PDA

View Full Version : DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN?

Ghosttowns.com
01-23-2000, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Tracy

I posted a message in November, however, I have decided to not look for a ghost town to purchase, but instead have decided to build my own town. This town will be a replica of a late 1800's town and will be totally self-sufficient. However, residents will be screened and selection will be based on character, values, and habits. If you are interested, contact me for more information.

Ghosttowns.com
02-19-2000, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by john lorenzo

In Reply to: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN? posted by Tracy on January 23, 19100 at 11:50:22:

: I posted a message in November, however, I have decided to not look for a ghost town to purchase, but instead have decided to build my own town. This town will be a replica of a late 1800's town and will be totally self-sufficient. However, residents will be screened and selection will be based on character, values, and habits. If you are interested, contact me for more information.

Ghosttowns.com
03-02-2000, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Dave

In Reply to: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN? posted by Tracy on January 23, 19100 at 11:50:22:

That sounds like something I would be interested in also. Living life the way it was meant to live.

Ghosttowns.com
03-07-2000, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Dennis O'Brien

Please get in touch with me, I am very very interested. Would like more information. Thank you.

Ghosttowns.com
03-12-2000, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Dan Ellis

I would be very interested in finding out more. I am currently going to school to be a school teacher. Maybe that could be something you can use.

Ghosttowns.com
03-23-2000, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Dave Wright

Hello,
Yes, I would be very interested in knowing more about your project, please send me more info so I can determine if theres any thing I can contribute.

Ghosttowns.com
03-28-2000, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Rev Steve

I am interested... could use a parson and a little church in this place?

Ghosttowns.com
04-01-2000, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Ralph Serrano

: I posted a message in November, however, I have decided to not look for a ghost town to purchase, but instead have decided to build my own town. This town will be a replica of a late 1800's town and will be totally self-sufficient. However, residents will be screened and selection will be based on character, values, and habits. If you are interested, contact me for more information.

Ghosttowns.com
04-01-2000, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Ralph Serrano

In Reply to: Re: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN? posted by Ralph Serrano on April 01, 19100 at 14:22:10:

Hi
I think i can be an asset to your venture of building a ghost town.I have been in the constrution and demolition industry for 17 years.
I am a truck driver and heavy equipment operator.
I have allways believed that i was born in the wrong century,always wanted to be a cowboy.I also have stable experiance.I,m also a very good mechanic

Ghosttowns.com
04-12-2000, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Earl Williams

In Reply to: Re: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN? posted by Dave on March 02, 19100 at 11:39:12:

: That sounds like something I would be interested in also. Living life the way it was meant to live.
Count my wife and I in as well, our values, mores
and even pace of life in conjunction w/progress has sickened me and would love to return to a simpler time when all was as it seems.

Earl in Ma.

Ghosttowns.com
04-18-2000, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Elizabeth Benford

Ghosttowns.com
06-02-2000, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by jeff johns

i'm 40 years old and have done the old time plaster for 20 years, have alot of old time imagination as well as experience. where are you planning to put this at state?
i do own a small plastering company in nebraska and would like to know more.
jeff

Ghosttowns.com
06-26-2000, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by suzie

Im extremely interested in your proposal or should I say vision of living in an 1800s town. Please contact me with more info.
5313 cottage ave
White Bear Lk, mn. 55110

Ghosttowns.com
07-08-2000, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by DANNY

how is this prospect coming along? where will the town be built? what an exciting concept - please get back to me on where and when this will happen.

Ghosttowns.com
07-23-2000, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Ronald W. Sullivan

In Reply to: Re: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN? posted by john lorenzo on February 19, 19100 at 08:20:57:

: : I posted a message in November, however, I have decided to not look for a ghost town to purchase, but instead have decided to build my own town. This town will be a replica of a late 1800's town and will be totally self-sufficient. However, residents will be screened and selection will be based on character, values, and habits. If you are interested, contact me for more information.

Ghosttowns.com
08-01-2000, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by dave semmler

Ghosttowns.com
08-01-2000, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Dave Semmler

In Reply to: Re: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN? posted by dave semmler on August 01, 19100 at 08:06:05:

:
: : I posted a message in November, however, I have decided to not look for a ghost town to purchase, but instead have decided to build my own town. This town will be a replica of a late 1800's town and will be totally self-sufficient. However, residents will be screened and selection will be based on character, values, and habits. If you are interested, contact me for more information.

Ghosttowns.com
08-01-2000, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Dave Semmler

In Reply to: Re: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN? posted by dave semmler on August 01, 19100 at 08:06:05:

:

multi talented,multi families interested in living in 1800's town.skills include farming,ranching,masonry,construction, herbal medicine,business owners, hunting and fishing guides, experienced horsemen and women, ready to move. please send as much info as possible in regards to location and qualifications

Ghosttowns.com
08-14-2000, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Barbara Gordon-Lantto

In Reply to: Re: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN? posted by Dave Semmler on August 01, 19100 at 08:26:57:

I love old ghost towns. The first ghost town I saw
was about fifty years ago in Washington State. It
long ago disappeared.We were exploring back roads.

. Going around a bend up in the Cascades, suddenly
in front of us was an entire unpopulated ghost to
wn. I have many books written about ghost towns.
When I visited Virginia City out of Reno;I return
ed home and checked out two stacks of books from
the Tacoma Library. They consisted of all the
recorded history of Nevada, Virginia City, and
Samuel Clements writings Something is wrong with
your email. What I am saying slides everywhere.

MY email is earthfeather99@yahoo.com
Please email me if you get this and if it makes sense.

: :
: : : I posted a message in November, however, I have decided to not look for a ghost town to purchase, but instead have decided to build my own town. This town will be a replica of a late 1800's town and will be totally self-sufficient. However, residents will be screened and selection will be based on character, values, and habits. If you are interested, contact me for more information.

:
: multi talented,multi families interested in living in 1800's town.skills include farming,ranching,masonry,construction, herbal medicine,business owners, hunting and fishing guides, experienced horsemen and women, ready to move. please send as much info as possible in regards to location and qualifications

Ghosttowns.com
08-28-2000, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by john

I think that sounds like a fantastic idea, I was considering a move from my current home in Jackson, WY to a more affordable town, possibly in Montana, I currently work as a bartender (every town needs a bartender) and a private investigator. I would love to hear more about this idea. please send me info ar jmheath18@yahoo.com or at po box 7100 jackson, wy 83002 thanks and good luck! -john

Ghosttowns.com
09-11-2000, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Daniel Woods

Please send me more information.

Ghosttowns.com
09-21-2000, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Ann and Mike Parks

Tracy,
We believe we could be an asset to your town for I and my husband have many skills we could share in a community that is willing to have us along with our 2 children.

I(Ann) have skills in quilt making, leather work, cabinet building, gardening and home canning.
I am also learnign about computer web page building and graphics.

My husband has been in outdoor construction for 9 years. He also has experience with horses and he is good with an axe.

We are learning about building a log cabin from scratch and it seems to be fun. He also has a great deal of patience in learning new things.

Our son who is 13 is ADHD, and we believe a simple but hard life of good old fashion living would help him to grow up and learn what it is to be a man with chilvary.

Our daughter is 11, going on 20 with all the things she is faced with in our community. She needs to know how it is to be young and not grow up so fast in a cruel world.

Please send us more information.

Ghosttowns.com
11-05-2000, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Twila

My husband and I have talked about doing the same thing for quite awhile now, but do not have the money, or the land to do it ourselves. I would be interested in more information about the possible location, and will answere any questions you have about us. Thank you, Twila

Ghosttowns.com
12-26-2000, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by LISA LENINGTON

Ghosttowns.com
01-12-2001, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by mark mathews

My name is Mark. I currently live in Jackson,Wy where my great, great grandfather homesteaded. I was born in the mountains of North Carolina. I have acquired the skills of building log homes from foundation up. i believe that we were meant to live life under the eye of God our father. I also believe that our youth have taken a turn for the worst. It is nearly impossible to find a place to live where you can trust your neighbors and have community friendship amongst all. I am 30 years old, love nature and believe that you can only fool with nature so long before she turns around to bite you back. I have worked in the environmental sector in California before I moved here. Although I believe that most I have worked with do not understand the word sustainable, meaning you can take a little, (only what you need), and not do damage to hte environment. I am a young christian. I love to be around good people. I also enjoy working with underpriviledeged children and inner city youth. I believe the youth are the foundation of our future. If you would, please send me more info. on your intentions.

Ghosttowns.com
02-04-2001, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Richard Hickok

You have peaked my interest with your offer. I would very much like to hear more of your 1800,s town and it's proposed location, hopefully very remote. I have always felt that I was born in the wrong century and envy the simpler life. This world we now live in is not my world, it is a cruel world without values and the most important of those being life!

Ghosttowns.com
02-12-2001, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Paul Frederick

where will this town be?? I am interested. Please email ffadairy@yahoo.com thatnks PAUL

Ghosttowns.com
02-15-2001, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Brian

The town sounds great how about a bandit and a drunk they had lots of them back let me know and will be glad to help you out.

Ghosttowns.com
04-04-2001, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Sarah A. Cloward

I just saw your posting! I would love more information about the location and such. My sister and I have been thinking of moving away from home together (I am 20 and she is 17) and being roommates. My whole family is fascinated with history! My sister, Amy, and I, Sarah, would be wonderful at fitting in to "old-fashioned" ways. We've long since decided we were born in the wrong time period. Perhaps you could help us remedy that mistake? :) Please, PLEASE send me information at sara_withanh@yahoo.com.

-Sarah A. Cloward

Ghosttowns.com
04-11-2001, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Joyce Marshall

re:to ghost town

I would love to get back to basics.Please let me know more. I'd love living like my ancestors did.Todays society is too dishonest and immoral for me. I always knew I was born a century or two to late.

Thank-you

Ghosttowns.com
04-21-2001, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by terry switenky

Ghosttowns.com
06-11-2001, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by James

Where are you planing to build this? If in B.C. I would be very interested. Thanks

Ghosttowns.com
07-18-2001, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by TERRY BRENNAN

Ghosttowns.com
08-20-2001, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by W.Walter

Currently ranching in Northwestern Canada, we've aquired everything we need to run a large ranch, yet we still need to fill an empty void. Looking for a better way of life, a change of pace with a desire to put in a hard days work and feel satisfied with what we have accomplished. Young professional family - experience includes farming, ranching, agriculture, soils microbiology, publishing, history, antiques, restoration and much, much more.

Ghosttowns.com
09-22-2001, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Kevin Abrams

In Reply to: Re: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN? posted by Daniel Woods on September 11, 19100 at 20:06:03:

: Please send me more information.

Ghosttowns.com
10-14-2001, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Josey Wales

Ghosttowns.com
10-23-2001, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Mitch

Folks, if you want a taste of life in the late 1800's, go visit the Amish. We have gone to a few Amish homes here in N.E. OK who host dinners for groups of "outsiders", for a reasonable price. These people are really back to (never left) the basics. There are a couple of Amish supply catalogs out there full of necessities from the late 1800's. Just a thought.
Mitch

Ghosttowns.com
10-30-2001, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Ed. TwarDokus

I am selling my home and relocating. I am very much interested in your plan. I have been in construction most of my life. This is a project that intriques me. I am a wester writer and the setting would be perfect for me. I will answer any questions you have. thank you.
Ed. TwarDokus

Ghosttowns.com
11-03-2001, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Ken

Sounds Great. Please Send More Info. I am a firefighter/police officer, and my wife is a nurse. Our professions should help out.

Ghosttowns.com
01-23-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by MARK SHARON

: I posted a message in November, however, I have decided to not look for a ghost town to purchase, but instead have decided to build my own town. This town will be a replica of a late 1800's town and will be totally self-sufficient. However, residents will be screened and selection will be based on character, values, and habits. If you are interested, contact me for more information.GREAT IDEA! WHERE IS THE LOCATION OF YOUR TOWN? LET US KNOW.

Ghosttowns.com
07-09-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by kevin
In Reply to: Re: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN? posted by Josey Wales on October 14, 19101 at 16:49:33:

Ghosttowns.com
10-25-2002, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Carmella
In Reply to: Why not just join the Amish? posted by Mitch on October 23, 19101 at 14:51:11:

: Folks, if you want a taste of life in the late 1800's, go visit the Amish. We have gone to a few Amish homes here in N.E. OK who host dinners for groups of "outsiders", for a reasonable price. These people are really back to (never left) the basics. There are a couple of Amish supply catalogs out there full of necessities from the late 1800's. Just a thought.
: Mitch

What is this site about? I was looking for the email address of a catalog I need to order supplies from. I'm Conservative Mennonite. When I listed the catalog, this site came up.

Ghosttowns.com
11-08-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Sharon Hart

My husband and I are extremely interested in living in a self-sufficient/self-sustaining environment. We are ready, able, and willing to relocate anywhere in the USA. Our skills are many and varied, and we live a clean lifestyle. Please contact us back for further discussion. Our mail is at PO Box 339, Cornwall, PA 17016 and our phone is at the YMCA Camp Shand at 717-272-8001.

Ghosttowns.com
03-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by ann cassidy

I would also like to become a young person in this town.

Ghosttowns.com
05-14-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by cassandra white
In Reply to: Re: Why not just join the Amish? posted by Carmella on October 25, 19102 at 06:35:56:

: : Folks, if you want a taste of life in the late 1800's, go visit the Amish. We have gone to a few Amish homes here in N.E. OK who host dinners for groups of "outsiders", for a reasonable price. These people are really back to (never left) the basics. There are a couple of Amish supply catalogs out there full of necessities from the late 1800's. Just a thought.
: : Mitch

: What is this site about? I was looking for the email address of a catalog I need to order supplies from. I'm Conservative Mennonite. When I listed the catalog, this site came up.

Ghosttowns.com
06-02-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by lawrence
In Reply to: Re: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN? posted by DANNY on July 08, 19100 at 10:03:08:

: how is this prospect coming along? where will the town be built? what an exciting concept - please get back to me on where and when this will happen.

Ghosttowns.com
07-30-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by loryn
In Reply to: Re: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN? posted by Joyce Marshall on April 11, 19101 at 19:12:32:

hi...please let me know more...this idea sounds great. thanks

hi. i would like some information on this...

:

: re:to ghost town

: I would love to get back to basics.Please let me know more. I'd love living like my ancestors did.Todays society is too dishonest and immoral for me. I always knew I was born a century or two to late.

: Thank-you

Ghosttowns.com
07-30-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by loryn
In Reply to: Re: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN? posted by jeff johns on June 02, 19100 at 17:31:38:

hi im 18....and this idea sounds really great...please send me more information....thanx.

: i'm 40 years old and have done the old time plaster for 20 years, have alot of old time imagination as well as experience. where are you planning to put this at state?

: i do own a small plastering company in nebraska and would like to know more.

: jeff

chopperfan1
07-25-2006, 08:57 PM
:D if you are still seeking poeple let me know

brian10x
07-26-2006, 04:28 AM
Getting back to basics is great until you try to flush and can't find the handle.

LauraA
07-26-2006, 05:04 AM
I'd be interested too ... every 1800's town needs a resident floozy, it gives the rest of the town's folk something to talk about.

You will have air conditioning won't you? :eek:

Mustang John
07-26-2006, 06:08 AM
Did you notice that the author of this thread never returned to post a reply?

It makes you wonder what all this was really about.

It certainly sparked a lot of interest!

LauraA
07-26-2006, 11:52 AM
I really wonder how many people, given the opportunity actually would step back in time and live under the same conditions as those hearty souls who lived in the 1800s? Every time I visit a GT or an abandoned ranch house, I can't help but marvel at the sheer stamina and endurance those people must have possessed. Thank goodness for our predecessors who settled, mined and worked this wonderful land. I for one wouldn't have the leather-tough spirit to endure the hardships they faced on a daily basis. Our power went out for an hour last night during a storm, after 10 minutes, I was ready to hit the panic button.
It's easy so say, "I'd love living like my ancestors did" or "I'd love getting back to basics" until you get your first impacted wisdom tooth, gall bladder attack, or simply want a glass of iced tea WITH ICE.

High Desert Drifter
07-26-2006, 12:42 PM
or a slurpee! hehe

brian10x
07-26-2006, 06:14 PM
I really wonder how many people, given the opportunity actually would step back in time and live under the same conditions as those hearty souls who lived in the 1800s? Every time I visit a GT or an abandoned ranch house, I can't help but marvel at the sheer stamina and endurance those people must have possessed. Thank goodness for our predecessors who settled, mined and worked this wonderful land. I for one wouldn't have the leather-tough spirit to endure the hardships they faced on a daily basis. Our power went out for an hour last night during a storm, after 10 minutes, I was ready to hit the panic button.
It's easy so say, "I'd love living like my ancestors did" or "I'd love getting back to basics" until you get your first impacted wisdom tooth, gall bladder attack, or simply want a glass of iced tea WITH ICE.

I once had a long conversation with fellow old West buffs about the subject. I guess it dosen't make interesting cinema, so a lot of the hardships are glossed over in the movies, where so many of us get our information in the first place.

Obvious exceptions are Unforgiven and the mini series Deadwood.

But I digress. We spoke of warm beer, coffee with the grounds in it, and really fatty food. Lots of bacon and beans, but a lot of folks on the trail lived on flour and water, with a bit of jerky.

Hygeine was nearly unknown, and deodorant had not been invented yet. You wiped your hands on your clothes or wherever when you were done "with your business".

Doctors and dentists were a half-step above butchers, with the most common method of relief was removal.

I know you guys know a lot more about the subject than I do. What else can you come up with?

NWNative
07-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Little or no law in some areas,
Women being treated as one step above cattle - usually
Lack of adequate food prep, storage and safety knowledge, causing illness and death,
High child mortality rates
Often isolation for long periods of time
Not being able to run down to the supermarket if the shelves were empty
No air conditioning and little in the way of heat
And no gol dang Haagen Daas Cherry Vanilla ice cream!

LauraA
07-27-2006, 03:31 PM
.... and no Slurpies, no air conditioning, no inside plumbing, the flies, no air conditioning, being last in line for the traditional Saturday night bath and no air conditioning.
Seldom coffee (usually chickory or some other toasted weed)

This is an actual recipe from the book "Pioneer Women of Gila County, Arizona" volume two, compiled by The Daughters of the Gila County Pioneers.

Son-of-a-Gun Stew
(usually made when a beef was butchered)

Remove all the marrow from bones

Half the liver

Heart

Kidneys

Sweet Breads

Tongue

Brains

Onions

Beef Fat

Onions

Salt, Pepper and Sage
cut all meats into small chunks, brains should be fried and added last few hours. Add onions, seasonings and water in large kettle and cook slowly 5 or 6 hours.

I don't know about you all, but to me this sounds stomach churning, but I suppose back then you ate what was available or you'd go hungry.....

and no air conditioning!

brian10x
07-27-2006, 05:35 PM
I got this off the internet. If this is sweetbreads, I'd be a vegetarian!

"Dear Cecil:

We were all sitting around lunch the other day and the question of what sweetbreads are came up. I voted for the thymus gland, but I was tremendously outnumbered by votes for the pancreas. Other suggestions included the brain, salivary gland, and even some sort of reproductive organ. I won't comment on the mental status of the person giving the latter suggestion, but you may feel free to do so. --M.K., Baltimore

Dear M.:

Boy, nothing like a little light conversation to improve the digestion. As it happens, you and the pancreas bloc are both right. There are two kinds of sweetbreads: stomach sweetbreads (also known as heart or belly sweetbreads), which are an animal's pancreas, and neck (AKA throat or gullet) sweetbreads, an animal's thymus gland. (The animal in question can be a hog or calf or just about any other large mammal, I gather.) They're called sweetbreads for the obvious reason that if you called them thymus glands or whatever you couldn't give the **** things away. The art of euphemism goes back a long way.

Call me naive', but why didn't they just cut up the "good" parts?

And no air conditioning too!
:mad: :mad: :confused:

High Desert Drifter
07-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by kevin
In Reply to: Re: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN? posted by Josey Wales on October 14, 19101 at 16:49:33:

I believe this is how David Koresh started in Waco?.. And according to survivors, there were no slurpees! not to mention the required fire code sprinkler system. hehe:)

GaryB
07-28-2006, 02:52 AM
My dad grew up in rural Nevada ('30-'40's) on a farm and he says they ate everything off a pig but the squeal. Nothing like the name "head cheese" to make you want to become a vegetarian :eek:

Cecile
07-28-2006, 10:59 AM
I spent last weekend caught between the 1800's and the year 2006:

http://xplorhistcal.livejournal.com/50506.html

LauraA
07-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Good to meet you Cecile, I've enjoyed your posts very much. I'm settling in right now with a big bowl of Ben & Jerry's (Chunky Monkey) to read the rest of your journal. Wonderful reading, thanks!

brian10x
07-28-2006, 06:53 PM
They make a large size? Oh boy, gotta get some of that. Love B&J, even though I'm vehemently opposed to their political affiliations.

LauraA
07-29-2006, 03:01 AM
Nope, I've never seen a large size Ben and Jerry's, but several pints added together can equal a fair portion of ice cream. ;)

Cecile
07-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Ice Cream is a luxury up at Cerro Gordo. It would melt before you got to town, driving up from the store in Lone Pine. Need to get an ice cream maker and make my own, I guess. I'd be more apt to do that than by a portable freezer for my forerunner.

brian10x
07-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Ice Cream is a luxury up at Cerro Gordo. It would melt before you got to town, driving up from the store in Lone Pine. Need to get an ice cream maker and make my own, I guess. I'd be more apt to do that than by a portable freezer for my forerunner.
I once had a friend that lived in a very rural community. He took a large cooler with him shopping once a week, and he was able to purchase dry ice at his grocery store, which he used to pack the frozen goods. Like me, he was an ice-cream-o-holic.

Cecile
07-29-2006, 09:39 PM
I'm addicted to ice cream too! That's why it's a good thing I don't have it up at Cerro Gordo - I can control my addiction for a few days! Between that and getting extra exercise hiking around those old buildings at 8,000+
altitiude, I usually come back a couple pounds thinner. Hmmm.... I guess you could say I'[m on the ghosttown diet & exercise program when I'm up there!

Flatiron
07-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Hey! Count me in. I'm tired of this stuff.........;)

bavarialand
08-02-2006, 07:22 AM
i have a saw and hammer waiting for something to do. just send me a note and i'll be there. i'm tired of these palm trees anyway. been a long time since i got stuck in the waist deep snow. forgot how much i missed it. Dave:)

bavarialand
08-09-2006, 12:04 PM
i suppose we could do this on our selves or as a group, i don't think we need to waite for the original poster to respond[if ever]. i think the place to start would be allocating a large parcell of land, say 200 acres or more. if someone has a large tract and would like to donate it, or if you know how to get the government to donate such land. let us know....:) Dave

GaryB
08-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Cool, we could start a cult and stock up on ammo and drugs and women and slurpees and.........

High Desert Drifter
08-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Now were talking! Women and Slurpees! In fact I am going to hit a 7-11 tonight and grab us the slurpee machine.

bad bob
08-09-2006, 07:31 PM
GaryB.
It'd have to be a polygamist cult since yer married with kids/pets.

And Drifter, Please don't do a dang fool thing like rippin' off the slurpee machine. Ya know it'd have to be battery-operated anyway. Rip the ATM
machine out, and use the money to finance a 7-11 at the new cult site. A big generator'll get ya started until you can hire Saheeb, and then you can sit back, drink whatever, and rake in the rupees. Do I have ta do all the heavy liftin' here?
But I could use some help setting up my new NeTvO. The guy wanted $8K for it, but I gave him sob story and tricked him down to $7999. Hah, what a boob.
Dad-burned new fangled vingerlators!

GaryB
08-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Now were talking! Women and Slurpees! In fact I am going to hit a 7-11 tonight and grab us the slurpee machine.

If the clerk is cute, grab her too!

Actually, today I stopped at a 7/11 and found out they have DP Slurpees now :D I almost became religious. Almost.

GaryB
08-09-2006, 07:44 PM
GaryB.
It'd have to be a polygamist cult since yer married with kids/pets.

Eh, already got enough of those around. We could be a cult that worships aliens from other planets. Maybe we could get Tom Cruise to be our spokesman? Better yet, Mel Gibson, I hear he's working cheap right now ;)

bad bob
08-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Oh yeah, you mean like the Coneheads. Say, you may be on to something here.

But Tom has Katie Holmes wrapped around him too tight.
Mel maybe, or Dan Akyroyd.

brian10x
08-10-2006, 04:00 AM
Be careful not to grab the screaming dead children haunted slurpee canyon road machine!

GaryB
08-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Be careful not to grab the screaming dead children haunted slurpee canyon road machine!

Don't be silly, he lives in Kalifornia. The dead children haunted Slurpee machine that squirts Slurpee juice at you if you kick it 3 times is in Illinois :rolleyes:

High Desert Drifter
08-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Too late guys, the slurpee machine has been apprehended! I had my brother distract Habeeb by making camel cigerette jokes... really ****** him off. Anyways I have rigged up a solar panel to run the machine, this way we will have more money to stock up on guns and anti government signs for the compound.

So that takes care of the slurpees... Shall I stop off at the corner tittie bar and grab us some women?

bad bob
08-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Too late guys, the slurpee machine has been apprehended! I had my brother distract Habeeb by making camel cigerette jokes... really ****** him off. Anyways I have rigged up a solar panel to run the machine, this way we will have more money to stock up on guns and anti government signs for the compound.

So that takes care of the slurpees... Shall I stop off at the corner tittie bar and grab us some women?

Way to go Drifter...
Solar, now why didn't I think of that.
That's using the 'ol brain stem.
But you shouldn't hafta do everything. Cults share duties, don't they?
Say BTW, can I get a bruised plankton slurpee with a beet twist? My stomach is upset after visiting that roach cookfest site. All I really wanted was the hissing potatoe eyes soup slurpee.

LauraA
08-11-2006, 06:03 AM
Incurable Incorrigibles Encouraging Incorrigible Incurable Encouraged Incorrigibles 331

old judge
08-11-2006, 06:31 PM
I don't know what to do with you people. I simply don't know what to do........OJ

GaryB
08-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Shall I stop off at the corner tittie bar and grab us some women?

Unless we keep them in a basement, no. There's usually a reason why strip clubs are kept dark ;)

brian10x
08-12-2006, 04:21 AM
I don't think they had SPAM back then. I think it was invented for the GIs in WW2. I watch the History channel a lot.

bavarialand
08-14-2006, 05:50 AM
later folks, can't waite for children to put down there beer and grow up. i have found my corner of " UTOPIA PLANITIA" and i am outa here. got all my supplies, guns, gear, food and generator. 4x4 is tuned and i am gone. Dave:eek:

brian10x
08-14-2006, 07:34 PM
later folks, can't waite for children to put down there beer and grow up.
And I assume, learn to spell?

i have found my corner of " UTOPIA PLANITIA"

Top Web Results for "planitia" (http://dictionary.reference.com/go/http://www.reference.com/search?db=web&q=planitia)

var zflag_nid="162"; var zflag_cid="1617/122/1"; var zflag_sid="94"; var zflag_width="120"; var zflag_height="600"; var zflag_sz="8"; on error resume nextc0=IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5"))if(c0

GaryB
08-14-2006, 09:03 PM
So, either he lives on Mars or he's living in a Trekkie Dream World? Interesting......

High Desert Drifter
08-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Yea Weirdo, call us when you find spock! And don't think your taking my solar powered slurpee machine either... or the chicks I picked up at the tittie bar. and we hope your spam and jack in the box taco's go bad before you get there!

bavarialand
08-16-2006, 06:21 AM
living on Mars, no. i just finished paying off my land in Alaska. not Mars, but still far enough away. as for lernink how 2 spell, never gave it any thowt.:) lighten up folks, learn to smile once in a while. anyways, live long and prosper. and if you can't do that then at least don't worry. and if YOU find your Utopia, then don't delay, go now. for the future will not waite for you.

brian10x
08-16-2006, 06:19 PM
living on Mars, no. i just finished paying off my land in Alaska. not Mars, but still far enough away. as for lernink how 2 spell, never gave it any thowt.:) lighten up folks, learn to smile once in a while. anyways, live long and prosper. and if you can't do that then at least don't worry. and if YOU find your Utopia, then don't delay, go now. for the future will not waite for you.
How are you doin' with those Russian women?

High Desert Drifter
08-16-2006, 09:44 PM
ahhh! Ok I get it. after noticing your web site it appears that you already have the chicks. so I wasted a trip to the tittie bar? and look, it appears that he is moving them across the strait in to Alaska. why didn't I think of that? since it is really cold in Alaska, it appears that you will not need the slurpee machine either... Ok, we know when were not needed.

bavarialand
08-17-2006, 05:17 AM
How are you doin' with those Russian women?
great photo, is that you-? as for the russian women, just fine.:D

bavarialand
08-17-2006, 05:20 AM
ahhh! Ok I get it. after noticing your web site it appears that you already have the chicks. so I wasted a trip to the tittie bar? and look, it appears that he is moving them across the strait in to Alaska. why didn't I think of that? since it is really cold in Alaska, it appears that you will not need the slurpee machine either... Ok, we know when were not needed.
finally, someone has seen the light! LOL, actually, the russian lady { Svetlana }i am involved with does not know i have 150 acres in alaska. i have not told her of my finances, thats how you weed out the gold diggers.:D

bavarialand
08-17-2006, 05:25 AM
any more questions-? or snide remarks. i am open to intelegent conversation, all others need not respond. being as it may since i own property in Alaska if you have Q's about that and how it works i can give info. and if you would like to know the truth about dating a Russian lady i will also provide the info. needed to enhance your chances at a happy life.:)

GaryB
08-17-2006, 02:41 PM
How about Russian property and dating Alaskan women :confused:

Flatiron
08-17-2006, 03:22 PM
How about Alaskan property and Eskimo women? :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

LauraA
08-17-2006, 04:56 PM

Which one in line were you? :p

brian10x
08-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Which one in line were you? :p

I would have responded earlier, but I've been working in the yard. Now I forgot what I was going to say ******:mad: :mad: :confused:

bad bob
08-17-2006, 07:16 PM
I would have responded earlier, but I've been working in the yard. Now I forgot what I was going to say ******:mad: :mad: :confused:

Brian
Weren't you gonna ask if anyone had another wheelbarrow you could use for the yardwork?:D
bb.

bad bob
08-17-2006, 07:27 PM
any more questions-? or snide remarks.

Well would you be open to cutting barbs, off-the-wall comments, inuendos, sarcasm, jealous hate mail, and turgid flatulence?
bb.

bad bob
08-18-2006, 08:30 AM
BUMPED into piece of crap. Miserable &%^$#@ spammer.

Yourfriendnick
08-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Hi , I am 48 with a severe hidden dissabillity . I was thinking yesterday if I could do anything I would love to live in a Western type town . Gunsmoke is my favorite show lol . I have a great imagination and business sense . I would love to build up a apothocary /Salloon . My dream is to be part of a therapuetic community and what could be more therapuetic than this theme . It would be hard ....coming up with land / with water . Dealing with sewage .....even eachother and the financial hardships . It would seem for it too work it would have to be tourist driven to bring in $$$ . I can help with ideas and you can see where I want to fit in . I would have to use colledge students for workers as I am relegated to sitting but it can be done . Getting a retired Doc would be a big plus . I am afraid a teacher would be not in the budjet if you really think this through . Unless someone wealthy sponsors them . Reality is harsh but what a coincidence this is my dream too . Being part of a town like this and building it into a perpetual trust . Having a set for theatre and the arts . Virginia City has done a wonderful job but this is a neat idea it could be done . I would love to have a wooden plank salloon and build it up . Figure it would take a decade min for it to even find shape . How could we get suitable land thats my question ? Corperate sponsorship ? Colledge sponsorship . Did anyone see the specials on discovery about colonial settlements and similar projects . They also did a wagon train ...Maybe this could evolve simularily . I doubt someone like me could be part of that but we all have dreams ....even the sick and dieing . This is a wonderful dream .

LauraA
08-18-2006, 03:44 PM
another bumpy road in GTville

LauraA
08-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey Nick, there's nothing wrong with dreaming, although my dreams tend to run more toward places with indoor plumbing, electricity and air conditioning.
I saw a couple of the TV shows in that series you mentioned. The one "Texas Ranch House" stands out in my mind because of the harsh living conditions of trying to eke out an existence in "the good old days" amid the flies, heat, dirt and ornery ranch hands.
Keep the dream alive Nick, dreamland isn't a bad place to dwell when the real world gets too harsh. ;) :)

bavarialand
08-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Well would you be open to cutting barbs, off-the-wall comments, inuendos, sarcasm, jealous hate mail, and turgid flatulence?
bb.
of course, but i do have tendency to ignore them.:)

bavarialand
08-19-2006, 09:41 AM
i suppose we/you should get back on topic. after all, the people that own this site want us to talk about Ghosttowns and the fun we have exploring them. anyone been to the GT's on the coast of B.C. Canada-? i'm going to explore some of them when i sail to AK next May. :)

bad bob
08-19-2006, 09:51 AM
of course, but i do have tendency to ignore them.:)

The last one may be difficult to ignore, but I believe ignoring them is contrary to being open to them!

The people that own this site are the ones that dredged up this topic from Jan 2000. The category here is "FOR SALE/WANT ADS".
See above categories to talk about gt s and the fun exploring them.

High Desert Drifter
08-19-2006, 07:22 PM
actually I met a few Russian women in my line of work. It appears that she came to this country in hopes of meeting a good man and settling down and starting a family. Turns out he was already married with two others. Bummer for her. she was a nice lady.

did you know that traditional eskimo women chew on their husbands shoes before he leaves the igloo.. I believe it was to thaw them and make them more comfortable for him.

Can any one say VODKA SLURPEE!! who needs Eskimo tittie bars, bring on the Russian Chicks !

Kevin1968
08-19-2006, 07:28 PM
I wonder how I would get my wife to chew on my shoes in the morning. She won't even get up to fix me breakfast.

GaryB
08-19-2006, 11:40 PM
I wonder how I would get my wife to chew on my shoes in the morning. She won't even get up to fix me breakfast.

No, but dip them in honey and let the dog have them. Just don't forget to take them away when they are ready or you'll have sandals.

GaryB
08-19-2006, 11:43 PM
actually I met a few Russian women in my line of work.

Not running your get rich quick coyote business again are you? :p

Yourfriendnick
08-20-2006, 02:11 AM
We never did hear back from tracy ...reality more than likely set in unless she was a multi millionaire and even then the task of town building has ruined many . It really is possible though to live in a 1800's town . There are historical parks with volunteer possibillities all over the world . It takes commitment and very likely one will have to have enough savings to cover the entire time and the 6 months after your volunteer position expires . Often you must reserve your spot a few years in advance and be flexible .

One really neat Ghost town in perfect shape I know of is Fayetteville Michigan . Sadly the park service has cut back on funding there . IT is one of the best perserved late 1800 ghost towns in existance in the United States . It was smelting operation in the Iron Ore industry that succumbed to financial pressures . It only stayed preserved as it was re-invented as a resort which failed in the depression . Due to its seclusion and Weather it withstood time until being taken over by the State . Anyone in the midwest should make the trip . Especially this time of year . Labor day weekend is the Mackinaw Island Bridge Walk . What a wonderful trip to do these two things at once . Camping in Northern Michigan this time of year is absolutely wonderful but it can get town to freezing some years even in August . It is possible to live in a ghost town . I know one year I thought I was fed up with the human race . I went on the Appalachain trail starting at Clingmans Dome and walking south to the end . I did not see a soul for days at a time . I felt true loniliness for the first time seeing all these wonderful things with nobody to share or discuss them with . It was very insiteful . I hope this thread stays going on topic wich is would you like to live in a 1800's town .

What I would like to know is why ? For everyone of us that means something different . To me it means a apothocary or store with naturepathic medicines like I saw in Williamsburg the colonial project of the Rockerfeller family and a simple salloon I could run profitabley and grow while sharing good times with people whose dream was in other pieces or componants of that town .
However the bottom line is you can do this . Volunteer and if your smart you can even get a small stipend and educational grant for schooling afterwards or run them concurent spending the summers as a volunteer and in school winters .

There is another Goverment agency similar to the Peace corps that often you can qualify for the educational money if you do the time in certain positions . If I remember the name I will place it back ...I think it is called the America Corps but I am not sure . Due to my health I wont be around here long . I hope this helps someone reach their dream .

High Desert Drifter
08-20-2006, 02:20 PM
actually I would'nt mind owning some out of the way land where I could build a "Keystone" ghost town. it would be kinda cool to educate the tourist on the way of life in those days. entertain the children, maybe make a few dollars selling food, lodging and souveniers and such. maybe an adjacent campground etc.. and even a slurpee machine!

Oh, and after all the women tourists are asleep, the men tourists can sneak out to my 1800's tavern tittie bar. We can show them some serious 1800's utters! and how it was done in the old days.

actually all kidding aside. It would be cool.

Nick, I owe you an appology. we / I thought you were a spammer. you have some cool Ideas. at first it sounded like a bogus plan david korish style, but your all right! don't pay to much attention to our kidding. maybe we do it because we don't have the freedom to do what your doing. Most of us are stuck paying our car payments and working to pay our debts.

In my opinion Russian chicks would do good in Alaska. just like that Smirnoff comercial.

Goat
08-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Yeah Nick, I apologize as well, for thinking you were a spammer. It sounds like you've been down a rough road. Like you, I was sick for quite a few years, and places like this made me remember what it was like to be healthy, and do the things that I love. It kept the fire burning, so to speak.

All that I can tell you is don't let your dreams fade. It sounds cliched, but it's true. I saw a lot of people around me lose focus and give in to despair, and those results weren't good.

Stick in here with us Nick, exploring season is coming up, so there will be more trips posted. Hey, if nothing else, it's cheap entertainment here!

Actually, they have a place where you can live like the old-timers did: Silver Dollar City, Branson, Mo.:D

Goat

LauraA
08-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Stick in here with us Nick, exploring season is coming up, so there will be more trips posted. Hey, if nothing else, it's cheap entertainment here!
Goat

heh heh cheap entertainment...I haven't been called that in 35 years :p
Goat's right Nick, stick with us, we'll either get better, or deteriorate into mindless banter...it's a win win situation! :D

brian10x
08-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Hey Nick, I hope you didn't take my unusual humor wrong. I like attractive women no matter where they are from.

Goat
08-20-2006, 07:54 PM
OMG,is that an udder or what? LOL!

Goat

bad bob
08-20-2006, 09:44 PM
OMG,is that an udder or what? LOL!

Goat

Thank you Goat...
At first I thought it was an utter, but I see it's actually a goiter.

modoc.raider
09-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Very Interested. Pls contact.

andrgo
09-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Has this thread gone anywhere else, is the town being built at all or is just an idea still? I think living in an 1800's style town would be awesome. It would take a lot of energy and monetary resources to make such a thing happen but it's definitely possible.

I'm just not too sure how you turn a chunk of private land into a US government recognized town. It was easy in the 19th century to make a town, but in the 21st it might be a little more challenging.

Hope the idea is still possible.

Parker
09-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Well, it's true that "the good ole days" were just that! Vya, NV was a ghost town from the early 1900's in NW Nevada and we just went and bought it. Imagine the belief in self sufficiency we all have! We do have electricity but no phone--and our water comes right out of our natural springs. Located 22 miles east of Cedarville, CA all we had in the beginning were a couple of leaning buildings and corrals--in the past couple of years they have been repaired for current use as storage and horse/cattle pens! As for the 1880's, we've constructed the first building of our old town and have plans for several more. If you're ever in the area, stop by or visit our website for pictures and info (www.oldyelladogranch.com (http://www.oldyelladogranch.com)).;)

Johnnie
10-26-2006, 08:46 AM

I posted a message in November, however, I have decided to not look for a ghost town to purchase, but instead have decided to build my own town. This town will be a replica of a late 1800's town and will be totally self-sufficient. However, residents will be screened and selection will be based on character, values, and habits. If you are interested, contact me for more information.

Have you had any luck finding what you were looking for ?:confused:
J & S

LauraA
10-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Maybe the road was too bumpy to locate anything suitable. ;)

grimmy
10-27-2006, 05:26 PM
I am Belle Starr's great great grand daughter. I am very interested in living as my grandma did. Except for the whole most famous female outlaw part. I grew up on a horse and cattle ranch, and have a lot to offer a ghost town per se. Please let me know more about the town and such.
grimmy777@hotmail.com

rbartlett04
11-04-2006, 04:59 PM

I would love to live in the 19th century. I amthoroughly convinced that I was born at the wrong time. I have never really fit into the modern way of life. Hmmm. Please let me know where you decide to build your ghost town. I would love to help out.

LauraA
11-04-2006, 07:31 PM
I would love to live in the 19th century. I amthoroughly convinced that I was born at the wrong time. I have never really fit into the modern way of life. Hmmm. Please let me know where you decide to build your ghost town. I would love to help out.

Me too, as long as there's air conditioning, 4 wheel drive, indoor plumbing and microwave cooking....oops...wrong century! :D

jbrussell
11-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Sounds like something I may be very interested in! Email information to jbrussell1969@yahoo.com

randybro
11-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi,
I am new to this site just happened upon it by accident. Loved the thread about Koresh lol well if this ever happens I call dibs on owning the Brothel if it hasn't been called yet. If anyone knows of any caretaker type jobs in Montana I would be very interested also.

smtbbc
12-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Hello,

This would be absolutley hard, but great. I was rasied on a farm in tenn, we rasied tobbacco and grew almost everthing we needed, including milking are own cows,slaughtering are own beef and pork... oh the work was endless,,,, but something i miss greatly. presently in hawaii but highly interested... i have experence in hard farm life. From tending horses to hunting and growing a variety of garden type foods. If this is something your truly going to do... oh let me know. The work is well worth the ending... smtbbc

tewwillis
12-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Tracy, I like your idea - please email additional info and what the criteria(s) are. Thank you.

MikeJohnston1
12-12-2006, 09:19 PM
email me michael.johnston1@gmail.com im a former army vet im interested

jenny
12-28-2006, 06:22 PM
I am an experienced escort from Nevada and have always wished for the old west style life. I can provide verifiable references upon request and I am licensed in the state of Nevada.

I was raised in Montana on a ranch as such I am hard working and have above average outdoor skills. I am 25, athletic, blonde college educated.

Darelina
01-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Is this idea, of starting a ghost town, really formulating into anything? I was just wondering, cause I'd sure like to get involved.

Its been my dream since I was a child, raised in CA and OR, to live in a ghost town. As I grew older, and as the theme parks have grown, I've thought it would be even more fun to run a working ghost town. Complete with horses and carriages to take people in and out of the "park".

Currently I live in Knoxville, TN, just a skip from Dollywood. I also know of 177 acres for sale between Knoxville and Sevierville. If anyone wants to really begin formulating plans, let me know!

Thanks,
Darelina

pattijo
01-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Please send more info....where...when....have you started yet? Tell me all....Patti Jo...artist/photographer

pattijo
01-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Anyone interested in talking about this lifestyle is welcome to call me or email artbypattijo@yahoo.com 509-397-3725. I lived and owned a shop in Tombstone for a couple of years and I loved it. I actually own 40 acres near the Petrified National Forest in Northern Arizona that I am holding onto just for this purpose. I am selling 2 1/2 acre ranchettes to people of like minds and keeping the rest for myself and for community large garden, etc. I have lots of ideas and I feel that in time...and sooner than we would like to believe...we are going to NEED to ban together in order to make it. Someday there will be no gas...power...etc. We will need to know how to live off the grid. I am anxious to meet new friends that have the same dream. Patti Jo;)

andrgo
01-24-2007, 06:12 PM
I hate to say it but I don't think it's going to happen. Whoever made the topic hasn't replied for ages and it looks like the idea is completely dead now.

Sad.. would have been fun. :/

GaryB
01-28-2007, 11:00 PM
I hate to say it but I don't think it's going to happen. Whoever made the topic hasn't replied for ages and it looks like the idea is completely dead now.

Sad.. would have been fun. :/

Pretty much true. I think if someone had the money to get a chunk of land and sell lots off to people willing to build era type homes and business's, it be popular, and likely profitable to tourists. I always thought owning/running something like the B&B and saloon in Belmont or the town of Gold Point would be neat.

Alas, my income can't support my ideas.

Wry
03-21-2007, 04:31 PM
I was thinking of doing this. There are some Public Broadcasting Miniseries on the subject.

They did a "Reality TV" experiment where families had to live under the conditions of the time period.

The ones I have are called:
"Frontier House"
"1900's House"
"1940's House"

They were very instructive as an indication of how desirable it was to live according to these lifestyle conditions.

LauraA
03-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Wry, I recall the one "Texas Ranch House". It didn't seem like the sort of place I could live in...or even survive in. The flies, the crude living conditions, the flies, the heat, the flies, the dust and the spoiled food were what I remember most...did I mention the flies?
I don't think a lot of folks nowadays could go from the modern world back in time to a primitive lifestyle like that one except for short periods of time, despite their wishes to do so.
I love camping, but it's sure nice to get back home after a week or so. :)

Wry
03-21-2007, 08:54 PM
The mini-series showed there was a real problem if a community depends on wood for heat in the winter. It tends to cause deforestation.

Chopping a tree down and making firewood for one day's heat is much harder than paying $2 a day for modern electricity.

And women started feeling bad after a month without modern shampoo. And feminine hygiene products were home-made until the 1950's, I believe.

On the other hand, the Amish seem to be have sustainable economy with low technology. I wonder how.

LauraA
03-22-2007, 06:52 AM
The Amish I've seen (in my opinion) have a sustainable economy because of the products and services they provide to the modern community. When you drive through Amish country you see restaurant after restaurant, store after store, owned and operated by the Amish. Without the craving for good ol' Amish cooking, handmade furniture, produce and quilts by us "moderns," I doubt that their present day lifestyle would be nearly as sustainable.

Wry
04-22-2007, 12:12 PM
There is probably more to be learned from the Amish than we know.

I can only guess (Please excuse the ignorance) but after seeing a couple of websites selling expensive quilts and furniture, that these people are capable of (in theory at least) a high earning potential. They would have to buy matierials for these industries from other sources, hinting at an economy that is more sophisticated than it would appear or claim to be (but I don't really know).

Anyway, I'm sure its as close to the 1800's as is practical under present day circumstances. And they obviously have come as close to being satisfied with it, (or in general) as anyone could.

Satisfaction... an interesting , alien concept to me, as an American. Lack of satisfaction causes innovation, perhaps technical advance. This leads to unsustinable ecological destruction if pursued to its logical conclusion on a large scale (Unless I've missed the point of recent history).

Gasp. Is this what Ghosttowns.com is here for? The secret message behind it all? That civilization is headed toward...

That we should begin documenting its progress, while its still functioning, so we can capture this living history in the making.

Then we might see what Robert Crumb imagined when he did "A history of America"

http://www.zubeworld.com/crumbmuseum/history2.html

and the epilogue

http://www.wunderland.com/WTS/Rash/misc/historye.htm

Gary Weaver
05-10-2007, 07:03 PM
I would not want to belong to any club or origination that would have someone like me as a member!

kandtholt
06-29-2007, 10:17 PM
My wife is acertified respitory therapist and am am a general contractor with a degree in construction management and also I have a BS in elementary education. We are very interested in your town and lliving, working and maintaining a home in the 1800's.

kandtholt
06-29-2007, 10:19 PM
we want to live there.

kandtholt
06-29-2007, 10:22 PM
We would be eager to join you in your new town.

kandtholt
06-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Are you still thinking of buying a Ghost Town?

texashunny1982
07-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi there!

I see this thread was posted a while back, but it looks like a lot of people are interested in this... I am as well.. I was wondering if you have completed the building of this town..or f you have ever even started. I am sure that a lot of us believe that we were born n the wrong century. I have thought about doing something like you are doing...unfortunately I don't have the financial backing to make this happen. Please write back and let me know what is going on with your project.

Disa

hippieatarms
07-24-2007, 02:20 PM
do we have to find jobs in this town.i would love to live in the town if i could live off the land.

missyj
08-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by john lorenzo

Please send me as much information as you can concerning living in an 1800's town. I think it would be fabulous.

willgarner
10-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Hello,
Yes, I would be very interested in knowing more about your project, please send me more info so I can determine if theres any thing I can contribute.

willgarner
10-11-2007, 09:52 PM
That sounds like something I would be interested in also. Living life the way it was meant to live.
Count my wife and I in as well, our values, mores
and even pace of life in conjunction w/progress has sickened me and would love to return to a simpler time when all was as it seems.

Walkingsticks
11-10-2007, 12:28 PM
I noticed your thread is four years old. So did you ever build your town? New Mexico sells ghost towns every so often and Fields, Oregon gets resold every so many years, except it isn't a real ghost town.

FANEMALE
11-16-2007, 07:20 AM
New to this forum. Is this thread still alive, and if so, did the town come to be. Please let me know, VERY interested. My wife and I are sick of the modern world.
Man was not ment to live this way!!

yellowtopaz
11-20-2007, 10:05 PM
I very interested. Please send information through e-mail if possible. Would like to know as much as I can. Thank you.

RShak
11-21-2007, 11:58 AM
I had this idea about 5 months ago, long after the other person did, I searched it up one day and I found this thread. Thankfully I know I am not alone now...

I plan on making a Ghost town too. I have the plan all set up. It will be a bigger project than the one listed before. I would probably use Real old buildings, such as transporting them. instead of making new ones. I would want a big piece of land anywhere from 50 thousand acres to 100 thousand. Ted Turner owns 2 million almost, so I donīt think I am asking for too much. 50 thousand acres is a little over 70 square miles give or take a few. There would be two towns, and 2 Indian Camps. the rest would be Country. I have a plan for everything, and I am very serious about this project.

If anyone is seriously interested please answer a few questions. The survey is not complete now. But this will be just a brief survey. Thanks everyone.

E mail all Surveys to me at RShakRealty@yahoo.com

or post them here.

Can you live with out the internet?

Are you scared of Horses?

Is electricity a big part of your life? If so, could you ever live with out?

Do you believe in God?

Are you racist?

Do you hunt?

Do you know how to work on Farms?

Do you agree with the way America has progressed as much as it has in the last 100 years?

Would you be able to actually live in a Ghost Town? and not just say it is a dream come for a week and leave deciding it really wasnīt for you?

How many Children do you have?

If answered yes to the above question: Could your Children live with out modern day technology?

Do you understand that there will never be Cars allowed on the Property?

Would you be willing to donate to this cause? ( such as money, time, other goods, ideas, anything. )

How could you personally benefit the Town?
Please be specific. ( example: I am a Teacher and I would love to work with all the children, and so on. )

Thank you for taking the time to read and fill out this survey. Take care all!

Toccoa
01-23-2008, 10:14 PM
I am quite interested in this proposal. If at all possible, please keep me informed as to your progression with your vision or at least please update on how everything is going, thanks.
-David

smalltowndreams
01-24-2008, 12:38 PM
I'd be very interested in your town. I raise livestock including, pigs, goats, sheep, and chickens. I am a mother of 4 and believe that children should be taught hard work and sacrifice reep the only valuable rewards.
Please contact me in regards to your new town and when and where it willbe established.

Jeanette
01-24-2008, 07:19 PM
If anyone is seriously interested please answer a few questions. The survey is not complete now. But this will be just a brief survey. Thanks everyone.

E mail all Surveys to me at RShakRealty@yahoo.com

or post them here.

Can you live with out the internet? Yes

Are you scared of Horses? no

Is electricity a big part of your life? If so, could you ever live with out? Isn't electricity a big part of many people's lives? I can make do without

Do you believe in God? yes

Are you racist? no

Do you hunt? no...I am more of a gatherer than a hunter

Do you know how to work on Farms? Food farms or animal farms? I can take care of animals, milk cows, collect eggs without getting pecked. I don't know anything about agricultral farming.

Do you agree with the way America has progressed as much as it has in the last 100 years? You have to be more specific. In industry, medical, science, yes. Morality and ethics? No.

Would you be able to actually live in a Ghost Town? and not just say it is a dream come for a week and leave deciding it really wasnīt for you? If said Ghost Town was in good shape and not something that would need extentive reconditioning, yes I would. I don't expect it to be the Hilton, but I don't want the roof to collapse on me, either.

How many Children do you have? One

If answered yes to the above question: Could your Children live with out modern day technology? I could see it as a problem for a while. I wouldn't feel comfortable having my child live in an area where I could not get help right away if something God forbid were to happen

Do you understand that there will never be Cars allowed on the Property? yes

Would you be willing to donate to this cause? ( such as money, time, other goods, ideas, anything. ) no. I'm broke. :(

How could you personally benefit the Town?
Please be specific. ( example: I am a Teacher and I would love to work with all the children, and so on. )CPR training, I love children, good cook, hard worker.

severdsoul
07-02-2008, 07:21 AM
If the clerk is cute, grab her too!

Actually, today I stopped at a 7/11 and found out they have DP Slurpees now :D I almost became religious. Almost.

Hi All, i'm new to the forum but not ghost towns, but could not resist

DP Slurpees's...i gota check that out.

Finaly all our taxes used to come up with a chemical compound that will benifit the common man....or woman..or child, or heck even the dog... its DP dagnab it...

severdsoul
07-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Not sure how alive it still is, but it definatly has merrit.

Although if i had the money i would do a little of both 1800's and modern, except off the grid totaly.

Lets face it, you need a freezer to keep food, sure they survived back then without one, but they could go and hunt or butcher cows anytime they needed meat. We are talking feeding a few hundred people, a freezer and safe preperation is important.

And as far as No internet, i'm not so sure that is a good idea either...
If you are thinking of making money from tourist, what better way to set up webcams around town and a website so travelers and vacationers can check in once in a while and see whats going on and get a feel for the place before they go..

I would do a mix of both, lets face it, if our ancestors had access to what we do you know they would be using it..

I love the idea of a simpler time and old west life style, hunting, fishing, ranching, growing own food, building own houses, etc. But to totaly get away from anything modern, i'm not sure is a good idea, if you have a hospital you need power for equipment.
think of a E.R. without power, how many people would die from a fixable problem.. Not to mention with the crazy weather we are having, it would be great to know what was going on storm wise espicaly if your food is counting on it...
To totaly detach from anything in modern world could back fire. Espicaly with the sue happy nuts there are out now days.
Plus if you are going to have tourist, you need a place for them to stay so they are comfe.. lets face it, the ones with all the cash are not going to pay a few hundred bucks a night to stay in a simulated 1800 town in 112 degree weather without any a/c. People are to spoiled now days.

But over all, its a great idea and could not only be a good way for those of us that would like to get back to some of the basics to not only raise awareness of living off the land and counting on each other, instead of the all mighty buck, and cover the cost involved through tourist.

I'd love to have the money to start something like that here in S.W. montana, buy some land up in the mountians. Which is decently priced.

Maby some day.:)

Besides we have to have our slurpees and BnJ's.

LauraA
07-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Welcome to the forum Sevrd. You're right in everything you said. Personally, I can't imagine living in 100š+ temperatures without air conditioning. I believe some folks romanticize what life used to be like in the early days of the old west....not to mention living without the niceties, like deodorant, scented soaps and disposable diapers. (By the way, congrats on that new baby of yours') :)
Anyone who can't imagine life without Slurpees, gets a thumbs up from me!

Joel
07-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Totally addicted myself. I even stopped in Tombstone for one the other day after Fourr's Fort. :)

danny_stoddard
08-21-2008, 06:55 AM
I'll come visit!

Rach21
09-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Do you accept lesbians in this town? It's not a joke it's a real question. Or is it only for certian people?

bad bob
09-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Do you accept lesbians in this town? It's not a joke it's a real question. Or is it only for certian people?

It's a fair question (IMO).
I seriously doubt anyone wanting to live in such a town has to worry about filling out a form which lists preferred sexual orientation.

On the other hand, it may be detrimental to be blatant about it, such as they do in places like San Francisco. At least stay cool until you can discover what's up, and what's OUT. :)

teds280z
09-30-2008, 11:46 AM
I hope we could all get together. We may have to import mail order brides. One in this house, one in the ranch, one in the saloon, etc. Also where do I sign up for the town I've had it with this place.:eek: Oops sorry ladies, We could always have mail order husbands too.

Mia Deschain
01-26-2010, 04:24 PM
just what i have been looking for. please contact me with more information.

Wolfgang
01-28-2010, 01:04 AM
Mia, . . . you do realize ( ? ) . . that you are posting on a thread that hasn't been active since Sept. of 2008.

Mia Deschain
01-28-2010, 09:47 PM
yeah i realized it yesterday after i had posted. aw well. thanks though;)

Wolfgang
02-23-2010, 02:28 AM
Here is an old town that looks late 1800s that can actually be lived in and where it is possible to earn a living ( Yucca Valley is just 4 miles away where a job could be had ). Moving up there from my current location in Desperate Hot Springs is something that I'm considering. Behind the rustic "old buildings" ( actually a little bit old as they were built back in the days of making "B" movies there ) there are folks living there. Anyhow a place worth visiting if in the area. Located 4 miles west of Yucca Valley off of hyway 62 which runs from down Palm Springs way up to and thru 29 Palms. Google it for a map. Pioneer Town.

teds280z
02-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Hey Wolfgang what is the name of the GT you're talking about?

Wolfgang
02-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Hey Wolfgang what is the name of the GT you're talking about?

It is right there in the foreground of the first picture. "Pioneer Town" . Was build by Roy Rodgers and others as a replica of an 1800s town for making movies . . . . ghosted and was pretty much abandoned for quite a while . . has been "resurected" for reenactment use and there are people living there as well.

teds280z
02-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks I think it would be so cool to just travel all year round to all the western GTs and meet all the members of GT.com, rather than live in one place. Oh yea does anyone realize this thread has gone for ten years now?

Darin
02-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Thanks I think it would be so cool to just travel all year round to all the western GTs and meet all the members of GT.com, rather than live in one place. Oh yea does anyone realize this thread has gone for ten years now?One stop to make then would be to Ari-Zona. Definately need to meet up with Joe. One h*** of guy to hang with when ghost towning...and if he gets too out of hand...just cook him up some spam and give him a beer! :D

Wolfgang
03-01-2010, 04:11 AM
Pioneertown was built in 1946 as a movie set for western movies, including the movies of Gene Autry (http://www.b-westerns.com/print.htm#gautry), The Cisco Kid (http://www.pioneertown.com/view/theciscokid.html), with Duncan Renaldo, (http://www.b-westerns.com/renaldo.htm)Annie Oakley with Gail Davis (http://www.cowgirl.net/honorees/Gail_Davis.aspx), Judge Roy Bean (http://www.desertusa.com/mag98/aug/papr/du_roybean.html) with Edgar Buchanan, Range Rider with Jock O. Mahoney, and Buffalo Bill Jr. with **** Jones. The movie set was to provide a place for the actors to live, and have their homes used as part of a movie set. Some of the original investors in the town were Sons of the Pioneers (http://www.b-westerns.com/nolan.htm), which the town was named after, **** Curtis (http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/findresults_actor.asp?search=****+Curtis) who was a professional villian in old movies, Bud Abbott (http://www.abbottandcostello.net/), Russell Hayden (http://www.b-westerns.com/hayden.htm), who played Lucky on the Hopalong Cassidy (http://www.b-westerns.com/hoppy.htm) series, Louella Parsons the Hollywood gossip columnist and Philip N. Krasne (http://www.pioneertown.com/view/theciscokid.html): "The Man Who Saved Pioneertown".

teds280z
03-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the advice Darin, Does anyone belong to GT.com live in Reno,NV. I want to go and get my truck dirty. I got invited to join Clampers?, What Do my fellow GTers think?

lovethcartwrights
04-10-2010, 01:21 AM
Wow this sounds awesome. I've always felt that I should have been born in a different time. I think I'm interested.

soapbox
06-08-2010, 08:17 AM
I think this an amazing idea. Keep us informed on the progress.

gotoaprayer
04-26-2011, 04:32 PM
I am interested in where you will build , if it will be run old fashioned and will there be homeschooling ,well water,wind or solar power,ect. Also know that we are persistant ,hard working, faithful people.However poor.Would gladly help work in town to make town work.Unfortunatly cannot invest at this time,sorry.Please let us know , really want to return to a hard working but simpler way of life.Have family of 10,mostly young adult.

Wolfgang
08-01-2011, 03:40 AM
Here is an old town that looks late 1800s that can actually be lived in and where it is possible to earn a living ( Yucca Valley is just 4 miles away where a job could be had ). Moving up there from my current location in Desperate Hot Springs is something that I'm considering. Behind the rustic "old buildings" ( actually a little bit old as they were built back in the days of making "B" movies there ) there are folks living there. Anyhow a place worth visiting if in the area. Located 4 miles west of Yucca Valley off of hyway 62 which runs from down Palm Springs way up to and thru 29 Palms. Google it for a map. Pioneer Town.

I posted this about a year and a half ago. Since then became aquanted with another place in that area which is a "old west town" developed originally for reenectors to gather for fun weekends playing "old west" and which has become self supporting as a location for western movie filming. I started construction on my own building in November . . . and then moved in to live there in the spring of 2011.

http://www.drburkholter.com/cf13.html
More pictures taken during a filming . . . .
http://www.drburkholter.com/cf20.html

A practical way to "live in an old west attmosphere" :)

Novel01
11-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Please contact me as well. I am a novelist, and could certainly contribute some sort of journalistic and/or newspaper to the community.

JimRussell
03-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Am in the process of building late 1800's town. If interested contact me at russell.jim15@yahoo.com

JimRussell
03-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Am in the planning stages of building a late 1800's western town that will be fully functional. If interested contact me at russell.jim15@yahoo.com. Thank you.

JimRussell
03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Am in the planning stages of building a late 1800's western town that is fully functional.

JimRussell
03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
My friend Nick...;) Am in the planning stages of starting a late 1800's town in Texas; a gated community/historical preservation location. If still interested contact me at russell.jim15@yahoo.com

JimRussell
03-25-2012, 01:45 PM
At beginning stages of forming self-functioning 1800's "wild west" town. Anyone interested let me know.

Sarah
07-03-2012, 12:59 AM
I think this is a terrific idea. I would definatly live here for a little while. Considering I'm still a kid myself, my whole family would come but im sure they would all be interested in living somewhere new for a bit. Keep us updated on the progress of your building!

Tyroler
08-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Thats somethings when you retired.

fred kanka
10-08-2014, 05:03 AM
The Town shall stay by now
Any pics?

Wolfgang
04-19-2015, 04:02 AM
I have posted several times on this thread. I lived in . . and now live near a replica old west town that is used as a movie set. Near by is Pioneer Town that was constructed by Gene Autry / Roy Rodgers and others and is used by reenactors, movie people and is lived in by a number of western enthusiasts. I saw a few days ago about Garnet Montana that is a real Ghost Town and the people are being sought to work / live there . . . .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3044446/Free-food-ho... (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3044446/Free-food-ho)

Fiddlers & Fighters
08-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Howdy all, if you're looking for an updated link to Pioneertown, you should visit my site - http://www.fiddlers-and-fighters.com/pioneertown. It's thoroughly researched and has a ton of great information!

jenkinslaurasue
10-20-2015, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Elizabeth Benford

was this town ever completed? if so please share. I am very interested. have thought of this for some time now. this is the first time I ever investigated. pleasantly surprised to find there are others on the same page. please inform. I have many questions.