PDA

View Full Version : Townes of Tenabo, Cortez & Gold acres NV

Ghosttowns.com
05-02-1999, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Gold pan dan

: Im looking for any info an the Townes of Tenabo, Cortez & Gold acres located in Northern NV. just south of Battle Mt.

: Also any good spots to explore in NV. I will be on vaction later in May and would like to make the most of it.

: thanks...dan

Ghosttowns.com
05-02-1999, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: REPLY

: Tenabo - post office opened December 7, 1906, closed July 31, 1912. Tenabo had one newspaper published, the BULLION DISTRICT MINER. A weekly newspaper, published by T.J. McParlin and Company. Commenced publication July 23, 1907. Publication ceased the same year. Town based on silver deposits found. Mill and primary mines in Mill Gulch. Townsite east of the mines. Wooden structures built. Population to 1000, supporting hotel, restaurants, assay office, lumberyard, stores, school, sloons and sporting houses. Tri-weekly stage to Beowawe. Mining active during next three years, but mounting expenses forced the mines to fold. In 1916, a new camp rose in Mill Gulch named Raleigh. Dredge operated in 1930's. In 1970 wooden buildings left, but unknown to me what remains now.

: Cortez - Had three periods of activity. PO opened originally January 3, 1868, closed October 12, 1869. Reopened during 2nd boom June 25, 1892, closed June 15, 1915. It last opened January 3, 1923, closed for good February 15, 1943. Cortez never had a newspaper of its own published. Silver ore first shipped to Austin smelters in 1862. Investment into the region in 1863 lead to roads and a mill. George Hearst became interested that year and became partners with Simeon Wenban for a time. By 1868 enough activity in Cortez the post office opened. The mill enlarged, Chinese labor imported. Mining continued unabated for next two decades. Leasers active thereafter. In 1919, Colsolidated Cortez Silver Mines Co. purchased mines and built a large mill. Cortez prospered until 1930s when depression curtailed operation. In 1969, a new company opened up old mines and began production. I have no idea of what is left of Cortez now.

: Gold Acres - Had no post office. Had no newspaper published. Area was a later mining effort and lacked color of boom days in early Nevada. Developments began 1936 and a mill constructed. In 1942 a large plant was built by London Extension Company. Mill iperated through the remainder of the decade. It was one of few mining operations that was not shut down during WW2, 100 men employed during period. About 300 people total called Gold Acres home, living in a camp that had a 32 dwellings, a bunkhouse, store, elementary school. The book NEVADA GHOST TOWNS & MINING CAMPS mentions the camp had a post office, however, the book NEVADA POST OFFICES: AN ILLUSTRATED HISTORY does not list a post office operating under the name Gold Acres. It is possible it operated under a different name than the common name of the camp. Operations ceased in June 1961. Buildings sold by auction. Pit and foundations mark site.

: Seems as if you may be focusing on those locations, all near Battle Mountain. Other ghost towns in area that are fun to visit are Belmont and Delamar, probably the ones with the most ruins currently. Unfortunately, each decade since their ghosting brought conditions that has chipped away at these treasures: time, elements, man. Have a good vacation.

Ghosttowns.com
05-03-1999, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by kathy

: Dan, We enjoyed Manhattan, which is north of Tonopah. Don't know

: what is still there at this time. If you're in the Tonpah area, I feel it is worth your while to go to the Mitzpah Hotel in Tonopah. Just my opinion! Have a great vacation!

Ghosttowns.com
05-03-1999, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Tom Wood

: : Im looking for any info an the Townes of Tenabo, Cortez & Gold acres located in Northern NV. just south of Battle Mt.

: : Also any good spots to explore in NV. I will be on vaction later in May and would like to make the most of it.

: : thanks...dan

:

: Nell Murbarger has a chapter in her book Sovereigns of the Sage about Goldacres. At the time the book was written (1958) Goldacres was still in operation.

Ghosttowns.com
05-03-1999, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: : Dan, We enjoyed Manhattan, which is north of Tonopah. Don't know

: : what is still there at this time. If you're in the Tonpah area, I feel it is worth your while to go to the Mitzpah Hotel in Tonopah. Just my opinion! Have a great vacation!

: The Mizpah in Tonopah is currently closed down, and has been for about six months. I know of one person, who is in a position of political power, who would like to see the state supply some funds to help keep it open.

Ghosttowns.com
05-10-1999, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by HERB ROBBINS

:

: : Im looking for any info an the Townes of Tenabo, Cortez & Gold acres located in Northern NV. just south of Battle Mt.

: : Also any good spots to explore in NV. I will be on vaction later in May and would like to make the most of it.

:

: THERE IS A LOT OF GOOD AREAS AROUND GOLD POINT. MAYBE 10 TO 12. STATELINE, ROOSEVELT, OASIS, GOLD MOUNTAIN, TOKOP, SILVANNIA, CUPRITE, BLAIR, MARY-DRINKWATER AND OTHERS. WE'LL BE EXPLORING SOME OF THESE DURING GOLD POINT OPEN HOUSE MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND IF YOU CARE TO JOIN.

Ghosttowns.com
07-29-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by ANTIOCH DESERT RAT

: :Dan
: This is The Antioch Desert Rat, I have been to Cortez. It is a good place to see.
: There is a new big mining operation going on now. The first plant of Cortez is down across the valley by the road that you take to the old town of Cortez. The newest plant is where Gold Acres used to be , at the end of the paved road.
: When I went there , my friend and I went in the office to ask them some questions about the area.
: They said that they were sitting on the Gold Acres. And they told us to go ahead and go down to the old town of Cortez.
: We went on down to town and that area is really neat to see. The stone walls of the mill area is still there, and the housing area is still there .
: If you get the chance to go there ,go for it .
: About 20 miles south of there , there is a hot spring area that is kind of neat to see also.
: Let me know of some other areas that you might want some info on. Im looking for any info an the Townes of Tenabo, Cortez & Gold acres located in Northern NV. just south of Battle Mt.