PDA

View Full Version : Belfort

Ghosttowns.com
05-02-1999, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by mark

: Can anyone give us directions to Belfort? We've located the appropriate section on the map but would like a little detail from the main road. Please direct e-mail us at abbzug1@aol.com. Thanks!!

Ghosttowns.com
05-03-1999, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by bad bob

: : Can anyone give us directions to Belfort? We've located the appropriate section on the map but would like a little detail from the main road. Please direct e-mail us at abbzug1@aol.com. Thanks!!

: What is your STATE of mind?????

: bad bob

Ghosttowns.com
05-04-1999, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by bad bob (2)

: : : Can anyone give us directions to Belfort? We've located the appropriate section on the map but would like a little detail from the main road. Please direct e-mail us at abbzug1@aol.com. Thanks!!

: : What is your STATE of mind?????

: : bad bob

: Belfort, CA. apparently. Anyone have a better

: set of directions???

Ghosttowns.com
05-04-1999, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: REPLY:

: I sent Mark this email with directions the other day directly to his email address:

: -----------------

: To: Mark

: 5/2/99 @ 8:20pm PST

: Hi Mark,

: I presume you mean Belfort, California.

: If so, these are the directions that I have taken off of DeLorme map software:

: -------------------------------------

: I'm don't know from which direction you are approaching, but from Bridgeport, California, take California Highway 182 north. That highway leaves US395 at the east end of Bridgeport, where US395 turns abruptly south (or if you are approaching Bridgeport from the south, US395 swings sharply west to enter town).

: Travel 12.6 miles north on CA182 to the Nevada state line, where the highway will now be Nevada State Highway 338. Continue north on NV338.

: Travel on NV338 for 6.7 miles to the Sweetwater area. On many maps, such as Rand McNalley, there is shown a town of Sweetwater, although that hasn't been the case in many years. There will be a prominent ranch off to the west, which is the Sweetwater Ranch. There is a prominent road turning west here, it used to be signed the last time I was through here (I used to live near Bridgeport for many years), but it's been a few years since I've been this way.

: I'll give mileage in accumulative mileage from this point after turning off of NV338.

: TOTAL

: MILEAGE ROUTE DIRECTIONS

: _______________________________________

: 0.0 NV338 and road to Belfort at Sweetwater Ranch, which is shown on the DeLorme map as Achitson Road. Drive west (ahead).

: 1.3 Turn south (left) on this road.

: 2.2 Turn southwest (right) on this road.

: 2.5 Turn west (right) on this road, which is shown as an old stage road.

: 2.6 California state line. There may be a marker or subtle post indicating the boundary.

: 4.5 Turn southwest (right) on this road.

: 6.0 Site of Star City ghost town.

: 6.5 The road will end in a loop around according to map. It shows a trail (which may or may not be a road) continuing on. Continue on this route, which will go south, then west to Belfort.

: 7.8 Site of Belfort in Boulder Flat.

: If you are approaching from the north, from Reno or Carson City, continue south on US395 to Holbrook Junction, just before hitting the California state line at Topaz Lake. Turn east on NV208 and drive to the community of Wellington, 12.1 miles. There will be a cutoff road angling southeast to reach NV338, which I belive is signed as for Bridgeport. Continue on this road to NV338 (3.1 miles). Turn south (right) on NV338 and drive to Sweetwater Ranch, 20.0 miles.

: ___________________________

: I have not been to Belfort personally, although I know the general region, so I cannot comment on road condition. Many of the roads in the region are marked Forest Service roads, so there should be some periodic maintenance. Also, be aware that the area is littered with roads crossing or teeing into the roads I just described.

: Belfort is also located at a fairly high altitude, I believe approaching treeline, so snow will linger well into summer, especially so because it is located on the east side of the Sweetwater Range, which themselves are quite high.

: Another person who may be better able to give you current conditions at Belfort is Cat Evans (the ever popular "Cat & Ripley") who lives in Mammoth Lakes. Her email address is:

: catmandd@gte.net

: I hope you enjoy your visit to Belfort.

: David A. Wright

: Great Basin Research - Ridgecrest, CA

: cc: none

: attachments: none

Ghosttowns.com
05-05-1999, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Cat and Ripley

: Mark,

: David's directions are pretty good. Basically, go past the ranch and the first major dirt road going to the right take, it's marked with SR198 signs as you go up. Once you get to a small "meadow" like spot with some tailings, STOP! I suggest hiking the rest of the way up (not more than a quarter mile at most). The road barely hugs the side of the mountain and it gets pretty evil! Not for the faint of heart (like me!). Also, once at Belfort (two cabins) you might keep going (ask at the ranger station in Bridgeport) and hit the actual site of Belfort! The site of the two cabins, from what everyone is now telling me, is actually the site of Boulder Flats. Whatever! The views are awesome and have fun!!

: : REPLY:

: : I sent Mark this email with directions the other day directly to his email address:

: : -----------------

: : To: Mark

: : 5/2/99 @ 8:20pm PST

: : Hi Mark,

: : I presume you mean Belfort, California.

: : If so, these are the directions that I have taken off of DeLorme map software:

: : -------------------------------------

: : I'm don't know from which direction you are approaching, but from Bridgeport, California, take California Highway 182 north. That highway leaves US395 at the east end of Bridgeport, where US395 turns abruptly south (or if you are approaching Bridgeport from the south, US395 swings sharply west to enter town).

: : Travel 12.6 miles north on CA182 to the Nevada state line, where the highway will now be Nevada State Highway 338. Continue north on NV338.

: : Travel on NV338 for 6.7 miles to the Sweetwater area. On many maps, such as Rand McNalley, there is shown a town of Sweetwater, although that hasn't been the case in many years. There will be a prominent ranch off to the west, which is the Sweetwater Ranch. There is a prominent road turning west here, it used to be signed the last time I was through here (I used to live near Bridgeport for many years), but it's been a few years since I've been this way.

: : I'll give mileage in accumulative mileage from this point after turning off of NV338.

: : TOTAL

: : MILEAGE ROUTE DIRECTIONS

: : _______________________________________

: : 0.0 NV338 and road to Belfort at Sweetwater Ranch, which is shown on the DeLorme map as Achitson Road. Drive west (ahead).

: : 1.3 Turn south (left) on this road.

: : 2.2 Turn southwest (right) on this road.

: : 2.5 Turn west (right) on this road, which is shown as an old stage road.

: : 2.6 California state line. There may be a marker or subtle post indicating the boundary.

: : 4.5 Turn southwest (right) on this road.

: : 6.0 Site of Star City ghost town.

: : 6.5 The road will end in a loop around according to map. It shows a trail (which may or may not be a road) continuing on. Continue on this route, which will go south, then west to Belfort.

: : 7.8 Site of Belfort in Boulder Flat.

: : If you are approaching from the north, from Reno or Carson City, continue south on US395 to Holbrook Junction, just before hitting the California state line at Topaz Lake. Turn east on NV208 and drive to the community of Wellington, 12.1 miles. There will be a cutoff road angling southeast to reach NV338, which I belive is signed as for Bridgeport. Continue on this road to NV338 (3.1 miles). Turn south (right) on NV338 and drive to Sweetwater Ranch, 20.0 miles.

: : ___________________________

: : I have not been to Belfort personally, although I know the general region, so I cannot comment on road condition. Many of the roads in the region are marked Forest Service roads, so there should be some periodic maintenance. Also, be aware that the area is littered with roads crossing or teeing into the roads I just described.

: : Belfort is also located at a fairly high altitude, I believe approaching treeline, so snow will linger well into summer, especially so because it is located on the east side of the Sweetwater Range, which themselves are quite high.

: : Another person who may be better able to give you current conditions at Belfort is Cat Evans (the ever popular "Cat & Ripley") who lives in Mammoth Lakes. Her email address is:

: : catmandd@gte.net

: : I hope you enjoy your visit to Belfort.

: : David A. Wright

: : Great Basin Research - Ridgecrest, CA

: : cc: none

: : attachments: none

Ghosttowns.com
05-06-1999, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Bill Schmelzer

: Mark,

: David directions are right on. I've seen sections of the road just beyond and south the first gate washed out after a hard winter but for the most part the route is not bad until the final climb where Cat recommends hiking. It's steep, narrow, and loose but can be done. It just depends on your "off-road" tolerance.

: Look for the Ancient Bristlecone when you get on top.

: Have fun,

: Bill

Ghosttowns.com
05-07-1999, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Lewis Shorb

: : Mark,

: : David directions are right on. I've seen sections of the road just beyond and south the first gate washed out after a hard winter but for the most part the route is not bad until the final climb where Cat recommends hiking. It's steep, narrow, and loose but can be done. It just depends on your "off-road" tolerance.

: : Look for the Ancient Bristlecone when you get on top.

: : Have fun,

: : Bill

: Hi All,

: On our last trip there. we parked at the meadow, this used to be Star City, there or some tailings there, and some other secrets in the area. My books state that Belfort was located in Bolder Flat. Roger Mitchels book shows a picture of the large cabin with another cabin directly behind it, the picture was taken in the late 60's. The cabin in the back is now only consist's of a few boards, must have been used for firewood by campers.

: There is another cabin in the area about a mile away from Belfort overlooking a small lake. Nice Place to camp.

: Take Care,

: Lewis

Ghosttowns.com
05-10-1999, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by mark

: : : Mark,

: : : David directions are right on. I've seen sections of the road just beyond and south the first gate washed out after a hard winter but for the most part the route is not bad until the final climb where Cat recommends hiking. It's steep, narrow, and loose but can be done. It just depends on your "off-road" tolerance.

: : : Look for the Ancient Bristlecone when you get on top.

: : : Have fun,

: : : Bill

: : Hi All,

: : On our last trip there. we parked at the meadow, this used to be Star City, there or some tailings there, and some other secrets in the area. My books state that Belfort was located in Bolder Flat. Roger Mitchels book shows a picture of the large cabin with another cabin directly behind it, the picture was taken in the late 60's. The cabin in the back is now only consist's of a few boards, must have been used for firewood by campers.

: : There is another cabin in the area about a mile away from Belfort overlooking a small lake. Nice Place to camp.

: : Take Care,

: : Lewis

: Thank you all, we will give it a try. The better half is not excited about heights so we'll hike the last leg. Thank you!! - Mark