PDA

View Full Version : Canfield, CO

Ghosttowns.com
05-30-1998, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Robert Kristle

: Technically, I don't know if this a ghost town question or not, but I'm unable to come up with another explanation. According to an 1895 Atlas, Canfield, CO which was in Boulder Co. had about 300 residents, a post office and a train station. The post office archives indicate the post office closed in 1908 and after that Canfield seems to fall off the edge of the Earth. Does anyone know what happened to it? Is it now a ghost town, did the people all leave and all trace of the town then truly vanish, did the town simply change its name or be incorporated into some larger town, or did something else happen? Any assistance that anyone could provide would be truly appreciated. Thanks.

Ghosttowns.com
09-10-1998, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Frank Blaha

: : Technically, I don't know if this a ghost town question or not, but I'm unable to come up with another explanation. According to an 1895 Atlas, Canfield, CO which was in Boulder Co. had about 300 residents, a post office and a train station. The post office archives indicate the post office closed in 1908 and after that Canfield seems to fall off the edge of the Earth. Does anyone know what happened to it? Is it now a ghost town, did the people all leave and all trace of the town then truly vanish, did the town simply change its name or be incorporated into some larger town, or did something else happen? Any assistance that anyone could provide would be truly appreciated. Thanks.

: I believe it was a coal mining town, and was located just west of Erie, Colorado, on an old rail line heading to Longmont and other nearby coal towns. The main reason for the start of the town was the "Rob Roy" coal seam which Isaac Canfield and his brothers found. "Canfield" is still listed on some of the more detailed Colorado maps, although it may not have a post office. Coal mining in the area has been declining since the 1930s. There is essentially no coal activity in the area today. I believe that there are still homes there, with new ones coming close from Lafayette and Erie - I understand a lot of growth has occurred in that area recently. I am more familiar with Erie, but not for the last six years. Some information on Canfield can be found in "Once a Coal Miner" by Phyllis Smith (Pruett Publishing Company, Boulder, Colorado, 1989).

Ghosttowns.com
03-27-1999, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Barb

: Canfield is considered part of Erie, at least some of the

: houses were annexed to Erie. Canfield is at 119th and

: Jasper Rd, right by the railroad (UP) tracks that cross 119th,

: south of Jasper Rd. I've heard there was a roundhouse there

: in the old days too.

Ghosttowns.com
08-26-1999, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Jim

: My wife and I live on a small 10 acre farm located

: on 119th Street about 1/4 mile South of Canfield.

: I found this website because I'm looking for

: information about the exact location of the

: Canfield coal mines -- some of the local residents

: are saying that some of the mine(s) still exist

: underground, and I'm doing some investigating,

: after some very weird and enexpected flooding in

: our basement in the Summer of 1998. The Canfield

: area today is struggling to fight off the

: encroachment of suburbia from the East (Erie)

: and especially the South (Lafayette). Today it

: still remains essentially rural, small farm area,

: but one of the prominent landowners in the area is

: considering selling to developers. We are working

: with Boulder County to convince them to buy the

: land as "Open Space". No trains run on the

: Canfield tracks today.

eriehistoricalsociety
02-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Canfield, CO was a town outside of current Erie, CO. It was along Jasper Road.

We have a little information on the town at the Erie - Wise Homestead Museum.

It is located at 11611 Jasper Road
Erie, CO 80516 The museum is open by appointment and on weekends Spring - Summer.

Call Sarah Allene Wise 303.828.4561 for more information.

You can also visit http://eriehistoricalsociety.org for more information on Erie, CO and the museum.

eriehistoricalsociety
02-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Almost forgot we have a google map set up with the locations of the mines and a link to the main state site with all mines located on it.

Here is the link

http://eriehistoricalsociety.org/erie-colorado-coal-mines-map/
(http://eriehistoricalsociety.org/erie-colorado-coal-mines-map/)

Here is the big state site... you will need to download and install the plugin.

http://www.oil-gas.state.co.us/infosys/Maps/LoadMap.cfm