PDA

View Full Version : Ruby, Arizona

Ghosttowns.com
06-02-1998, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Tom

: To any and all who have an interest in Ruby, Arizona. I have some interesting stuff to share.

Ghosttowns.com
06-04-1998, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Rmcdoanld

: : To any and all who have an interest in Ruby, Arizona. I have some interesting stuff to share.

Ghosttowns.com
06-05-1998, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Tom

: : : To any and all who have an interest in Ruby, Arizona. I have some interesting stuff to share.

: what was the follow up? I see nothing

Ghosttowns.com
06-24-1998, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Jeff McGuire

: : : To any and all who have an interest in Ruby, Arizona. I have some interesting stuff to share.

: I am interested in ghost towns and would like to
: hear about Ruby, AZ. Thanks.

: Jeff McGuire

Ghosttowns.com
06-29-1998, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by billy mutter

:

:
: i am very interested in seeing ruby arizona when i visit arizona this fall.

Ghosttowns.com
06-30-1998, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Tom McCurnin

:
: : i am very interested in seeing ruby arizona when i visit arizona this fall.

: Billy,

:
: The late fall is one of the better times to visit Ruby. It can still be quite warm even in October. If you go to this site:
:
: http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/rubypaper.html
:
: There is published a research paper that I did on Ruby for one of my classes. Go back to the Ruby page and the photos you see there are mostly mine that I have submitted to this website. I also have published for me a map of Ruby and a pamphlet to be found on the Ruby page.
:
: Ruby is on private property and permission is required. This involves a fee of 13 dollars but is well worth it. I believe the number you have to call is listed and from what I understand, you can pay the caretaker the fee.
:
: My great grandfather once served as the postmaster of Ruby and one of my great uncles was the Justice of the Peace. This was from 1937 - 1940.
:
: I have a lot of material on Ruby to include an article on the murders that occured there in the 1920's. It is from a 1936 detective magazine that belonged to my great grandfather that is in our possession. If you would like a copy, I can mail one to you along with some other stuff I have.
:
: The most interesting structures there are the old jail and the school. One of my aunts attended the first grade at that school.
:
: Tom

Ghosttowns.com
09-16-1998, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Mike Long

:
: : : : To any and all who have an interest in Ruby, Arizona. I have some interesting stuff to share.

: : I am interested in ghost towns and would like to
: : hear about Ruby, AZ. Thanks.

: : Jeff McGuire

Ghosttowns.com
02-20-1999, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by William Gatlin

: :

: : :I haven't been to Ruby in several years. My grandmother, Elizabeth (Purcell) Gatlin was shot during the 1920's murder/robbery. She fortunately lived to tell about it. Hope to see Ruby in the not too distant furture. Bill

Ghosttowns.com
03-23-1999, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by C. J. (Chuck) Kelly Sr.

: I lived and went to school in Ruby. My father worked in the mine and at one time my mother ran the boarding house.

: .

Ghosttowns.com
10-04-1999, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by John Scott Lynch

: Hello, my name is JS Lynch and I am a senior at Arizona International College of the University of Arizona. I would like to do my senior capstone project on the town of Ruby, Arizona. My project will rely heavily on qualitative data gathered from interviews and research done from the Arizona Historical Society. The main focus of the project will be to create a lead sculpture or mural based on the history and interviews gathered about Ruby. I believe this project will aid in the restoration efforts of Ruby by bringing community awareness about the historical significance of Ruby. I am asking for any ideas and contacts. Any information would be greatly appreciated and noted in the capstone project.

Ghosttowns.com
11-13-2000, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by I have camped at Ruby and know some facts of its past I have caught a nuber of fish in the small lakes that are there.

: : : : To any and all who have an interest in Ruby, Arizona. I have some interesting stuff to share.

Ghosttowns.com
07-01-2001, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by JOANN

: i WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT SOME OF THE HISTORY OF RUBY AZ..

Ghosttowns.com
12-25-2001, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by David Raab

: : :
: : : : : To any and all who have an interest in Ruby, Arizona. I have some interesting stuff to share.

: : :
: : : i am very interested in seeing ruby arizona when i visit arizona this fall.

Margie Davis
01-09-2007, 07:47 AM
My name is Margie Davis 'nee Payne. I am one of probably only a few people who were actually born in Ruby Arizona. In 1939 my father and an uncle both worked in the silver mines. That's the year I was born. I visited the vicinity of Ruby last January 2006, but was unable to gain entrance since the town is now privately owned and the caretakers/owners weren't home. If you plan to go to Ruby, be prepared to drive for about 2 hours on a rocky, unpaved, twisting and hairpin road at about 20 miles per hour. Located only about 4 miles from the Mexican border, you can also expect to see Border Patrol SUV's streaking down this dangerous thoroughfare at about 60 MPH. If you would like to contact me, my e-mail is 42-aces@centurytel.net. Hope you had a good time doing your research.

Margie Davis
01-09-2007, 07:51 AM
Dear Mr. Kelly, I was born at Ruby AZ in 1939. My father, CM Payne, and uncle Robert Pittman, both worked in the Ruby mines. They went back to Texas when the mines closed.

Johnnie
01-11-2007, 05:07 AM
Dear Mr. Kelly, I was born at Ruby AZ in 1939. My father, CM Payne, and uncle Robert Pittman, both worked in the Ruby mines. They went back to Texas when the mines closed.

Margie, Just curious what it was like growing up in an old mining town in the 1940s:)

J & S

Ghostdancer
01-11-2007, 05:19 AM
My name is Margie Davis 'nee Payne. I am one of probably only a few people who were actually born in Ruby Arizona. In 1939 my father and an uncle both worked in the silver mines. That's the year I was born. I visited the vicinity of Ruby last January 2006, but was unable to gain entrance since the town is now privately owned and the caretakers/owners weren't home. If you plan to go to Ruby, be prepared to drive for about 2 hours on a rocky, unpaved, twisting and hairpin road at about 20 miles per hour. Located only about 4 miles from the Mexican border, you can also expect to see Border Patrol SUV's streaking down this dangerous thoroughfare at about 60 MPH. If you would like to contact me, my e-mail is 42-aces@centurytel.net. Hope you had a good time doing your research.

Margie,

1939 was during the time my great grandfather was the postmaster at Ruby, from 1937-1940. One of my great uncles was the Justice of the Peace and two others worked at the mine. BTW - their name was also Davis.

Been to Ruby on 2 occasions, it's worth the fee to get permission.

Tom

Margie Davis
01-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Didn't have the opportunity to grow up in Ruby. The mine closed and we were back in Texas before I was a year old. Have always had an affinity for the old west. Think it would have been a fantastic experience. My parents are both deceased, as well as my uncle Robert, so there is no one to tell me stories about how it was in the "olden days."
Margie

Margie Davis
01-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Tom, I have been to Tombstone and snapped a picture of the grave marker for Les Moore. One wall of my home is dedicated to all things Arizonan and this snapshot is one of the adornments, along with pictures of the participants of the Gunfight at the OK Corral.

Margie

dax-the-ax
07-24-2008, 05:17 AM
Hello, I would really like to visit Ruby, AZ and fish the lakes. I live in Tucson. I need a phone number to contact someone there, do I need to call ahead? Can I drive there in my Chrysler 300? Does any one have a phone number to reach them?

Dax

Joel
07-24-2008, 05:21 AM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/Joelfriday/Ghost%20Towns/RubyArizona123007058.jpg

Ghostdancer
07-24-2008, 05:25 AM
Hello, I would really like to visit Ruby, AZ and fish the lakes. I live in Tucson. I need a phone number to contact someone there, do I need to call ahead? Can I drive there in my Chrysler 300? Does any one have a phone number to reach them?

Dax

Contact Howard Frederick at (520)-744-4471.

The road is rough in some spots, but your vehicle should be able to handle it.

I see that the info is already in the above photo.

Tom

Joel
07-24-2008, 05:43 AM
The Ring Brothers have a wealth of information regarding the Ruby/Oro Blanco area on their web site.

http://ringbrothershistory.com/

brian10x
07-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Contact Howard Frederick at (520)-744-4471.

The road is rough in some spots, but your vehicle should be able to handle it.

I see that the info is already in the above photo.

Tom

Not to contradict you Tom, but in my opinion that road is a bit much for cars, and a 300 is a heavy luxury car.
Just another opinion, for what its worth.

Ghostdancer
07-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Not to contradict you Tom, but in my opinion that road is a bit much for cars, and a 300 is a heavy luxury car.
Just another opinion, for what its worth.

Well yes, if going in by way of I19 near Nogales which runs past Pena Blanca it is rather rough, but the part running from Arivaca to Ruby was much smoother when I was last there in 2001.

Tom

brian10x
07-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Well yes, if going in by way of I19 near Nogales which runs past Pena Blanca it is rather rough, but the part running from Arivaca to Ruby was much smoother when I was last there in 2001.

Tom
I guess the road is just bumpier the way I drive.

dax-the-ax
07-24-2008, 08:35 PM
If I just want to go there and fish, is it $18 or $30?

Dax