PDA

View Full Version : Hike to Beveridge ghost camp this Fall

Ghosttowns.com
05-13-1999, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Rob

: We are trying to get an idea of how many people would be interested in an overnight hike/backpack trip to the legendary ghost camp of Beveridge,Ca this Fall. It is supposed to be a grueling hike but the remoteness has left the camp well preserved. Furniture and dishes are said to still be laying around.

: Cat, Lewis Bill, and I have all mentioned an interest.

: Rob

Ghosttowns.com
05-13-1999, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Alan gorton

: I would love to know a little more about the hike...... how long do you plan to spend at the site?? where abouts in California northern or Central...............What month are you going....... how many buildings still stand

Ghosttowns.com
05-14-1999, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Lewis Shorb

: : We are trying to get an idea of how many people would be interested in an overnight hike/backpack trip to the legendary ghost camp of Beveridge,Ca this Fall. It is supposed to be a grueling hike but the remoteness has left the camp well preserved. Furniture and dishes are said to still be laying around.

: : Cat, Lewis Bill, and I have all mentioned an interest.

: : Rob

: Hi All,

: Owens Valley in Sept. is hotter than ****!,

: Actually right now is the best time because it is still cool and snow is melting and the springs are flowing (the birds are singing....), but we are not prepared for it.

: I am currently researching other routes into Beveridge, And I have heard first hand that the route Guy Starbuck took is the most dificult.

: You won't beleve this but I heard it from a 77 year old (young) man who hikes there every year!, and is now preparing to go again.

: Lewis

Ghosttowns.com
05-17-1999, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Cat and Ripley

: Mike, at Cerro Gordo, was telling me about an alternate way to Beveridge but it would involve a nervewracking (for me anyway) drive along a mountainside and then a hike DOWN into Beveridge. From what I understand, this is the easiest way in. I would bet the best time to hike this fall would be in mid October (before it snows). My friend Jami and I are in for sure!

: : We are trying to get an idea of how many people would be interested in an overnight hike/backpack trip to the legendary ghost camp of Beveridge,Ca this Fall. It is supposed to be a grueling hike but the remoteness has left the camp well preserved. Furniture and dishes are said to still be laying around.

Ghosttowns.com
05-17-1999, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Rob

: That sounds like a plan. Lewis is also researching alternate ways in. Now, if we only has access to a helicopter...... :)

: Rob

: : Mike, at Cerro Gordo, was telling me about an alternate way to Beveridge but it would involve a nervewracking (for me anyway) drive along a mountainside and then a hike DOWN into Beveridge. From what I understand, this is the easiest way in. I would bet the best time to hike this fall would be in mid October (before it snows). My friend Jami and I are in for sure!

: : : We are trying to get an idea of how many people would be interested in an overnight hike/backpack trip to the legendary ghost camp of Beveridge,Ca this Fall. It is supposed to be a grueling hike but the remoteness has left the camp well preserved. Furniture and dishes are said to still be laying around.

: : : Cat, Lewis Bill, and I have all mentioned an interest.

: : : Rob

Ghosttowns.com
05-19-1999, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Gerald Thomas

: : Mike, at Cerro Gordo, was telling me about an alternate way to Beveridge but it would involve a nervewracking (for me anyway) drive along a mountainside and then a hike DOWN into Beveridge. From what I understand, this is the easiest way in. I would bet the best time to hike this fall would be in mid October (before it snows). My friend Jami and I are in for sure!

: : : We are trying to get an idea of how many people would be interested in an overnight hike/backpack trip to the legendary ghost camp of Beveridge,Ca this Fall. It is supposed to be a grueling hike but the remoteness has left the camp well preserved. Furniture and dishes are said to still be laying around.

: Yes there is dishes and other artifacts laying around of which I claimed ownership of five years ago when I filed my mining claim.Please leave all artifacts as found !!!!! I will more than likely be at my claim the week that you mention doing my assment work for the year.Anyone removing any object what so ever will be a criminal act and I shall deal with in my own matter if the situation calls for it !!! Once again PLEASE leave things as you find them for others to enjoy !! Thank you

Ghosttowns.com
06-12-1999, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Richard Elliott

:

: Hi Rob, Cat & Ripley, et al,

: I am interested in an early Oct. hike to Beveridge. I've tried twice to reach it from Frecnhman's Spring, each time turning back in the large canyon below Keynot Pk. It is a rugged hike. I am slower now that I am 50. I believe it would take 2-days to get there by foot.

: Not owning a 4WD, each time I drove my car as far as I dared on the dirt road from Lone Pine area, having to camp about a mile or so from the mouth of the canyon leading into Frenchmans Spring.

: Keep in touch all, for I'd like to go.

Ghosttowns.com
04-03-2001, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Pete Crocitto

: : Hi All,

: : Owens Valley in Sept. is hotter than ****!,

: : Actually right now is the best time because it is still cool and snow is melting and the springs are flowing (the birds are singing....), but we are not prepared for it.

: : I am currently researching other routes into Beveridge, And I have heard first hand that the route Guy Starbuck took is the most dificult.

: : You won't beleve this but I heard it from a 77 year old (young) man who hikes there every year!, and is now preparing to go again.

: : Lewis

Johnnie
05-20-2006, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Alan gorton

: I would love to know a little more about the hike...... how long do you plan to spend at the site?? where abouts in California northern or Central...............What month are you going....... how many buildings still stand

In the early 1980 i meet a old guy that said he finally after several years of searching he found a way to get to Bevenridge from the east on Saline Valley, side and almost lost his chance to make it to the top because of tough time he had finding the trail but when he got to the site, he said he found a small steam engine and other interesting stuff. But for some reason, the story he was telling me about the steam engine did not resonable. Has anyone heard about a steam engine at this site ???

Johnnie & Sheila

Johnnie
05-21-2006, 09:03 AM
In the early 1980 i meet a old guy that said he finally after several years of searching he found a way to get to Bevenridge from the east on Saline Valley, side and almost lost his chance to make it to the top because of tough time he had finding the trail but when he got to the site, he said he found a small steam engine and other interesting stuff. But for some reason, the story he was telling me about the steam engine did not resonable. Has anyone heard about a steam engine at this site ???

Anyone come up with any new Information on my posting?

Johnnie & Sheila

Anyone come up with any "new" information on my posting from yesterday?

Johnnie

Dezdan
05-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Johnnie ,

Are you talking about locomotion, or mill power? I am not sure if there is a steam driven engine up there, but I know there are a few engines laying around up there of various types, including a Rolls Royce aircraft engine. There might be a one at Lasky's Mill, but I can't be positive.

~Dezdan

Johnnie
05-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Johnnie ,

Are you talking about locomotion, or mill power? I am not sure if there is a steam driven engine up there, but I know there are a few engines laying around up there of various types, including a Rolls Royce aircraft engine. There might be a one at Lasky's Mill, but I can't be positive.

~Dezdan

Not sure Dezdan, what the old guy was refering to it sound like he ment a little steam engine to pull the ore cars around but he may been refering to small engines to run the machinery, at the time i was selling at the Rose Bowl, and I did not a get a chance to get him to stick around and tell me more.

Johnnie Sheila

NWNative
05-24-2006, 05:17 PM
One assumes that the group knows this info but I will pass it on anyhow.
http://www.blm.gov/ca/ridgecrest/beveridge.html

Johnnie
05-29-2006, 06:55 AM
One assumes that the group knows this info but I will pass it on anyhow.
http://www.blm.gov/ca/ridgecrest/beveridge.html

Thanks, for that web-site I did not know of that one we will add it to our list of favorites.

Sheila & Johnnie