PDA

View Full Version : When is Bodie open?

Ghosttowns.com
05-18-1999, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Scott

: Does anyone know when Bodie is open? I heard that they keep it closed during the winter and spring months. Is this true?

Ghosttowns.com
05-18-1999, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by bad bob

: : Does anyone know when Bodie is open? I heard that they keep it closed during the winter and spring months. Is this true?

: I'm pretty sure it's open year 'round. It's just that the amount of snow in this region, makes access difficult except for perhaps 3 or 4 months out of the year. Even then, you may encounter traces of snow on the ground at this elevation, something like 8275 ft.

: bb.

Ghosttowns.com
05-18-1999, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: REPLY:

: Bodie is technically open year around. The only access in winter is via snowmobile, cross country skiis, or snowshoes.

: I've skiied into Bodie on one occassion, snowmobiled on two. It's a wonderful experience in winter if you're up to it. Back during the last El Niņo in 1983, I actually skiied onto the schoolhouse roof, only it and a few other landmarks protruded from the snow.

: Otherwise, the road should be open any time now. Contact CalTrans for road updates. They have a website with up to the minute road conditions. The state highway running into Bodie is California Highway 270.

Ghosttowns.com
05-19-1999, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Digger Dan

: I went to Bodie on my way to the Ghost Town Rally in Cerro Gordo. We had a four wheel drive and we were able to take pictures from the car but walking around would have been difficult.

:

: : : Does anyone know when Bodie is open? I heard that they keep it closed during the winter and spring months. Is this true?

: : I'm pretty sure it's open year 'round. It's just that the amount of snow in this region, makes access difficult except for perhaps 3 or 4 months out of the year. Even then, you may encounter traces of snow on the ground at this elevation, something like 8275 ft.

: : bb.

Ghosttowns.com
06-22-1999, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Rosa May

: On November 16, 1983, Bodie displayed the 'zebra stripes' on its surrounding hills but no snow in town. It was a great day to visit that special place because my friend and I were the only ones there except for the park ranger. The ranger told my friend and I that he stays in the park until "winter really gets going" whatever that means in that wild place. We visited again on November 12, 1989 and found Bodie totally without snow or other visitors. For my money, that is the only way to see Bodie. It was my first ghost town and will always have a special place in my heart for that and many other reasons. I know you wrote your inquiry over a month ago but I have just discovered ghosttowns.com and couldn't resist throwing in my two cents.

Ghosttowns.com
09-15-1999, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by CoachBodie

: : Does anyone know when Bodie is open? I heard that they keep it closed during the winter and spring months. Is this true?

: Texas Jess and Myself usually go on Memorial Day Weekend!!! But I heard you can snowcat in the Winter!!!