PDA

View Full Version : ghost towns in Kansas

Ghosttowns.com
05-09-1998, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Brayden

: I was curious if any of you know if there are any ghost towns/haunted houses in Kansas. If there are please e-mail me.

Ghosttowns.com
02-17-1999, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Ron

:

: : I was curious if any of you know if there are any ghost towns/haunted houses in Kansas. If there are please e-mail me.

Ghosttowns.com
02-17-1999, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Ron

:

: : Crawford, County town site...permission almost nil for insurance...shows partial log-cabin, old store turned school turned shrine...was 1830 to 40 era Three-story motel am seeking info on, stood until 1990 era. If info desired e-mail.

Ghosttowns.com
02-17-1999, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Ron

:

: Crawford County, in Ks.; Unique Civil War era site, Spiritual activity....few allowed in, or around...Owmner used to destructive humans.... Many stories on expeiriences of self and others....e-mail

Ghosttowns.com
03-08-1999, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Kristina Moulden

: Ghost towns of Kansas is one of my passions and I have a kick *** site for reading and references

: go to www.ukans.edu/heritage/towns/hdkt/townsorc.html

: this has books and links for other things like towns of kansas on the net (this has ghost towns also listed if someone maintains the page for them) Please fel free to email me with ??? or anything you might find of interest. I'm always listening to the past....

: thanks--kris----

Ghosttowns.com
08-15-1999, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Tracy

: Would like information on ghostown north of

: Independence, Ks. where the people made cement.

: The town was also "company owned". I understand

: the people were just like in the song "Sixteen

: Tons". What is name of town and when was it

: running? Are there any people still alive that

: I could visit with? I am interested in Southeast

: Kansas history.

Ghosttowns.com
09-14-1999, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by patrick carroll

: I have seen a book on ghost towns of Kansas. I recall Sumner (Atchison Co.) and St. Cloud (Doniphan Co.).

Ghosttowns.com
10-01-1999, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Danielle Peters

: :

: : Crawford County, in Ks.; Unique Civil War era site, Spiritual activity....few allowed in, or around...Owmner used to destructive humans.... Many stories on expeiriences of self and others....e-mail

Ghosttowns.com
01-18-2000, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Ron

: I have been in search of information on this site myself. I was lucky enough to have been taken to this site just a few years prior to the motel being demolished. At the time it was in ruins, but she was still a majestic site. I am lucky enough to have gotten one of the hand-drawn bricks which had fallen from place, as well as one which bears the manufacturers mark: UCPC (in a diamond shape) A few years ago I returned to again attempt to find the owner, my first time I was told the owner lived in Texas, or someplace. At this time I met the owners son who let me know that, due to insurance worries, no one would be allowed on the property. It was this visit when I was made aware of the log cabin and school. Though unable to gain permission to examine these structures too closely, they played a great scenario within my mind.

: I am presently trying to recall the towns name. I have several 1890's map copies showing this site which I had copied from the 1890 Kansas Census book found at the Parsons Library --- but they are at my other house right this minute. (I forgot that I used this site as a background for a piece I did in English Comp, and have it saved on disk)

: The town was called Cato. It was the oldest settlement in Crawford County, being settled almost as soon as Kansas was opened. If I remember right, the motel was also a restaurant and grocery/supply store as well. The town died out slowly once the railroad bypassed this site. I would have loved to find her dump site, with permission to explore further, but growing up on a farm I understand the owner's hesitance at allowing access.

: One further note:

: In the early 1990's, the Parsons Sun's weekly addition of The County Line, ran a beautiful article about Cato, even giving the name of one of her living decendants. Photographs also ran alongside, including one of the motel. Unfortunately,I did not keep the article long before it disappeared. I have returned to the libraries microfilm for that time several times, but to no avail -- my eyes get tired, fast.

: I hope this helps. If you happen to run across the above mentioned article -- earmark it with the librarian, and I'll do the same.

: Good Luck, this is a cool site -- Thanks!

: : : Crawford, County town site...permission almost nil for insurance...shows partial log-cabin, old store turned school turned shrine...was 1830 to 40 era Three-story motel am seeking info on, stood until 1990 era. If info desired e-mail.

Ghosttowns.com
06-12-2000, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Pointman_19

: 320 mcdowell creek road. its an abandon house. very sparsly populated. like about three houses on the whole road and its a big road. exit 305 or 306 of I 70

Ghosttowns.com
07-02-2000, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Lisa

: : I was curious if any of you know if there are any ghost towns/haunted houses in Kansas. If there are please e-mail me.

Ghosttowns.com
08-19-2000, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by eric stansbury

: : : I was curious if any of you know if there are any ghost towns/haunted houses in Kansas. If there are please e-mail me.

Ghosttowns.com
09-23-2000, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Megan

: : : I was curious if any of you know if there are any ghost towns/haunted houses in Kansas. If there are please e-mail me.

: any ghost towns or haunted houses, real ones, in KC

Ghosttowns.com
12-12-2000, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by T'Charr

: No kidding.There ARE haunted places in Kansas.Theorosa's bridge 3 miles north of Valley Center & Carrey House Square in downtown Wichita,to name two.

Ghosttowns.com
10-18-2001, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Anna

: : Yes there are ghosts in kansas!!!!!!!! email me to find out!!!!!!!!!!

Ghosttowns.com
04-01-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Stephen

:
: There are no such thing as HUNTED HOUSES it's what ur parents tell u so u don't wonder in to the place and steal junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghosttowns.com
10-16-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Carol

: : No kidding.There ARE haunted places in Kansas.Theorosa's bridge 3 miles north of Valley Center & Carrey House Square in downtown Wichita,to name two.

: We have a local spooklight in our hometown of Englevale.
: Of course with a pop of around 20 the town is a ghosttown as well.
: Also there are haunted sites in Pittsburg,Ks.Southeast Kansas
: Carol

orangeghosts11
02-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Brayden

: I was curious if any of you know if there are any ghost towns/haunted houses in Kansas. If there are please e-mail me.
Yes.. I've been to several... in Atchison,Fort Scot,Osawatomie,Desoto,Gardner...