PDA

View Full Version : Beveridge Warnings

Ghosttowns.com
05-20-1999, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Cat and Ripley

: I hate NO TRESPASSING signs as much as everyone else here but I understand where Gerald is coming from! Keep in mind, some idiot published the directions to Beveridge in a major magazine (was it Outdoor mag?) and then someone stole the old piano from the site (with a helicopter?). Gerald has never met us and only knows about the random idiots that vandalize historic sites.

: So, since Gerald is a bit onery about us visiting, lets at least let him know when we're going and how many people we'll have and work with him on this! We all want to go and have a good time, right?

: I emailed Gerald today and gave him the basic time we're interested in going and about how many people we think might hike. And I would think, as long as we're open with him about it all he should be cool with it.

:

Ghosttowns.com
05-20-1999, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by bad bob

: : I hate NO TRESPASSING signs as much as everyone else here but I understand where Gerald is coming from! Keep in mind, some idiot published the directions to Beveridge in a major magazine (was it Outdoor mag?) and then someone stole the old piano from the site (with a helicopter?). Gerald has never met us and only knows about the random idiots that vandalize historic sites.

: : So, since Gerald is a bit onery about us visiting, lets at least let him know when we're going and how many people we'll have and work with him on this! We all want to go and have a good time, right?

: : I emailed Gerald today and gave him the basic time we're interested in going and about how many people we think might hike. And I would think, as long as we're open with him about it all he should be cool with it.

: :

: Cat, I think ya did good. Mr. T says a vandal learned about Beveridge from this site, but I still maintain that was an isolated case. And I doubt if your basic vandal has access to a helicopter to steal a piano. Not that it didn't happen, but whoever took that piano was a "longrider". That took some planning and $$$, not to mention brass.

: bb.

Ghosttowns.com
05-20-1999, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Lewis Shorb

: Hi Cat, & Everybody

: Did'nt you say you were carrying 2 cases of beer up the trail for everybody?

: What is the basic time, I was thinking early Oct.?

: Beveridge is located in the Inyo WILDERNESS, as designated by the "Desert Protection Act of 1994", 5 years ago, which prohibits mining in wilderness areas, Gerald states he bought the claims 5 yrs ago. hmmm? For the claims to be valid, they would have to have been bought before the DPA went into effect. 1999-1994=5.

: The Piano, this story dates back to the 1970's, and is probably an urban legion. (like the dog in the microwave, or people waking up in ice with a liver missing).

: One person I know of who also believes this to be false is the former mayor of Ballarat; Don, who is a fountain of knowledge about the area.

: The Eastern California Museum has a copy of an artical from a treasure hunter mag. which contains an interview (with pictures) with the guy who flew in with a helo in the 70's and took out a pot belly stove.

: Perhaps Gerald only wants to protect the area, seems like everybody wants an ore car for free.

: The 1st publication to contain an artical about Beveridge was "The Album", then years later "Backpacker" mag. did an artical.

: Since this is a "wilderness area" the gov. states that "Pack it in, Pack it out", apparently people bring in their guns and leave with out them. So if you hike in with a gun, please remember to take your it home with you!

: Lewis,

: : I hate NO TRESPASSING signs as much as everyone else here but I understand where Gerald is coming from! Keep in mind, some idiot published the directions to Beveridge in a major magazine (was it Outdoor mag?) and then someone stole the old piano from the site (with a helicopter?). Gerald has never met us and only knows about the random idiots that vandalize historic sites.

: : So, since Gerald is a bit onery about us visiting, lets at least let him know when we're going and how many people we'll have and work with him on this! We all want to go and have a good time, right?

: : I emailed Gerald today and gave him the basic time we're interested in going and about how many people we think might hike. And I would think, as long as we're open with him about it all he should be cool with it.

Ghosttowns.com
05-20-1999, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Rob

: The "legend" I heard was that some guys in the Navy flew in and took the helicopter. If this was true it would have been easy for someone to find and prosecute due to the paper trail left behind. And, yes it was Backpacker magazine that published directions to Beveridge a few years ago. I agree with Lewis in that I have doubts as to how authentic Gerald and/or his claim to Beveridge is. I am not so sure about emailing Gerald and trying to reason with him.

: From the tone of his posts, and his accusing attitude, I think its pretty obvious what kind of person we are dealing with here. But if Cat can reason with him then more power to her!

:

: : : I hate NO TRESPASSING signs as much as everyone else here but I understand where Gerald is coming from! Keep in mind, some idiot published the directions to Beveridge in a major magazine (was it Outdoor mag?) and then someone stole the old piano from the site (with a helicopter?). Gerald has never met us and only knows about the random idiots that vandalize historic sites.

: : : So, since Gerald is a bit onery about us visiting, lets at least let him know when we're going and how many people we'll have and work with him on this! We all want to go and have a good time, right?

: : : I emailed Gerald today and gave him the basic time we're interested in going and about how many people we think might hike. And I would think, as long as we're open with him about it all he should be cool with it.

: : :

: : Cat, I think ya did good. Mr. T says a vandal learned about Beveridge from this site, but I still maintain that was an isolated case. And I doubt if your basic vandal has access to a helicopter to steal a piano. Not that it didn't happen, but whoever took that piano was a "longrider". That took some planning and $$$, not to mention brass.

: : bb.

Ghosttowns.com
05-21-1999, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by TBWood49@aol.com

Ghosttowns.com
05-21-1999, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Tom Wood

:

: I'm almost certain that when I looked up the profile for Gigigit@aol.com, Gerald's screen name on May 19 the profile was that of a teenaged girl. I tried to get information on this profile today and all information had beeen deleted.

Ghosttowns.com
05-21-1999, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Guy Starbuck

: I first heard of Beveridge from "California Ghost Town Trails" by Broman and Leadabrand (Gem Guides).

: The book contained a fatal passage: "...somewhere deep in the Inyo Mountains behind Cerro Gordo, where, according to legend, the tools are still lying on the ground outside the miners' houses, and where furniture still stands inside the old deserted homes - a Shangri-La of a ghost town."

: Who could resist such a temptation? Not I. So, I did some research and thanks to our government found the site. Now, it didn't quite live up to the claims, but close enough...

: And well, finding the site was one thing, but getting there was another. On my first attempt to get there, I turned back near the 7000' level, after a grueling all-day hike. I was not expecting such a hike. Right there on that spot (I remember exactly where it is,) I vowed I would get there one day.

: A few years later, I made it. What a great time I had, mainly, because it was such a challenge. And that is the real lure of Beveridge. Not the (few) items you might find laying around, but the difficulty in getting there.

: Some day soon, some other harder-to-reach, ruined mining camp will start getting some word of mouth and ...

:

: When I was there, I only had the strength to take pictures, let alone vandalize or steal something. You have to be out of your mind to want to add things to your pack for the journey back to your car.

: That said, there still is a real concern (however slight) about people removing artifacts and what-not. Its a sad commentary on society that there has to be a concern. Luckily enough, for Beveridge, it is so remote and there is no road leading to it, or it would go the way of the Clair Camp area.

: I hope to see it again, and in the same condition as I left it.

: Guy

Ghosttowns.com
05-23-1999, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: The Beveridge piano is one of those legends that refuse to die. There is a "piano hoisted out by helicopter" legend for several other ghost town sites that I am aware of. All, including Beveridge, contain the same story line.

Ghosttowns.com
07-14-1999, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Rik Rosenlund

: Well; a buddy of mine and I hiked in to Beveridge from the west (French Canyon). We left the trailhead at 3PM and camped below Forgotten Pass about 4 hours later. I agree with your comments about the toughness. It was 5000 vertical feet to the pass and then about 3500 feet down to Beveridge. Be careful about water as there isn't much (except right in Beveridge and up to Frenchys cadin at 7000').

: Actually, theres really not much left in Beveridge. Yeah there is some old metal and scrap laying around and the tram ruins but its pretty well ruined now. What was interesting was some of the stone walls from some old cabins along the canyon bottom as you walk up from Beveridge. We hiked out to the car in a day but its a bear. I plan to post some pictures within a week on my web site www.tverde.com if anyone is interested.