PDA

View Full Version : Ghost town advice for a Yankee

Ghosttowns.com
05-23-1999, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Ken Brown

: I'm taking my family on a trip through some of the west this summer. Starting at Denver, then south to Great Sand Dunes and a bit of New Mexico. Then wnw through Bryce Canyon, north through Utah and into Montana/Wyoming. Finally back to Denver.

: We'll probably stop off at Virginia City and some other modern day places but I wonder if there are some "real" ghost towns out there for us Yankees to wander through.

: I'm not really looking for a 12 hour, 7,500' hike to see some foundations. Are there places that are a bit more accessible? (a couple hour hike is ok) I think even tourist-trap kind of place might be ok for a starting point.

: Any advice greatly appreciated.

: Ken Brown

Ghosttowns.com
05-23-1999, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Tom Wood

: : I'm taking my family on a trip through some of the west this summer. Starting at Denver, then south to Great Sand Dunes and a bit of New Mexico. Then wnw through Bryce Canyon, north through Utah and into Montana/Wyoming. Finally back to Denver.

: : We'll probably stop off at Virginia City and some other modern day places but I wonder if there are some "real" ghost towns out there for us Yankees to wander through.

: : I'm not really looking for a 12 hour, 7,500' hike to see some foundations. Are there places that are a bit more accessible? (a couple hour hike is ok) I think even tourist-trap kind of place might be ok for a starting point.

: : Any advice greatly appreciated.

: : Ken Brown

: I truly would recommend seeing Bannack, MT and Elkhorn, MT