PDA

View Full Version : RE: Bet True Ghost Town

Ghosttowns.com
06-07-1998, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Richard Elliott

: Waht about Cerro Gordo, near Keeler, CA? I loved it. Visited it several times over many years. Although it is operated privately as a type of bed and breakfast--it is truly a real ghost town with great! original buildings. It is just like stepping into the past!

Ghosttowns.com
06-08-1998, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Rob

:
: I drove through Cerro Gordo last summer, but didn't stop because it is intensely posted with no trespassing signs. Also, everything I have read about it said to contact the owner before planning a visit. It did look interesting though. The drive up the grade is incredible.
: Anybody stayed in the Bed and Breakfast there?

Ghosttowns.com
06-18-1998, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Lewis Shorb

:
: :
: : I drove through Cerro Gordo last summer, but didn't stop because it is intensely posted with no trespassing signs. Also, everything I have read about it said to contact the owner before planning a visit. It did look interesting though. The drive up the grade is incredible.
: : Anybody stayed in the Bed and Breakfast there?

: Hi Rob,
: Whats the road like going up, I have heard that is very steep, but is it a CLIFF HANGER also? I might be going there in July with the "Desert Explorers". Also the town is owned by a woman named Jody Stewart.
: Lewis

Ghosttowns.com
06-21-1998, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Richard Elliott

:
: :
: : :
: : : I drove through Cerro Gordo last summer, but didn't stop because it is intensely posted with no trespassing signs. Also, everything I have read about it said to contact the owner before planning a visit. It did look interesting though. The drive up the grade is incredible.
: : : Anybody stayed in the Bed and Breakfast there?

: : Hi Rob,
: : Whats the road like going up, I have heard that is very steep, but is it a CLIFF HANGER also? I might be going there in July with the "Desert Explorers". Also the town is owned by a woman named Jody Stewart.
: : Lewis

:
: Hi Lewis,
: I have been to Cerro Gordo 3 times. The road is a well graded dirt road, sometimes washboard due to rains. It is steep as far as the short distance one goes (about 8-miles) and gains elevation quickly and steeply, too. the road starts off gradually from Keeler and at the bae of the mts. it begins to climb steeply. I did it once in a Honda wagon and overheated at mile 6; another time my dad and I tried it and his car overheated almost right away. I then drove all the way up in my Toyota truck and the needle never moved--ran cool all the way. Last time I was there was in 1986. Yes, a woman owns the town and has turned it into a Bed & Breakfast place. Many newspaper and magazine articles have been written about it. JULY IS HOT! Carry plenty of water!! Good luck and have fun--it truly is a great ghost town.
: :Richard

Ghosttowns.com
06-25-1998, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Marshall Hiner

:
: In the mid 50's the U.S. Air Force had a radar site on Keeler Ridge. I used to drive up there from time to time to see if everything was working. Best part of the trip was picking up a 6-pack at the edge of the dry lake and shareing it with the caretaker at the Cerro Gordo mine. As I recall it was an all day trip up to the site and back down and very dangerous. The Airforce chopped the road out of the side of the mountian. Saw a bit on TV last night (Inside Edition) about the Cerro Gordo and would like to know how to get in touch with the current owners. Thank You

Ghosttowns.com
07-08-1998, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Terry Shaw

: My wife and I were camping with my parents 10 years ago come November and tried to make the drive to Cerro Gordo. We were in a Ford half ton with 302 V8. We got to a point where the road makes a turn and goes straight up at what seemed like 45%. We didn't overheat but the truck got to a point where it just refused to go any further. We had to carefully back down to a turn around point. Fortunately there are other interesting spots to see in the area such as Keeler and Darwin where the museum curator and her husband gave us a warm reception. Happy exploring!