PDA

View Full Version : Wickes, MT

Ghosttowns.com
02-28-1998, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Lisa

: I just did a search on Wickes Montana and was surprised to see it listed as a ghost town. I just moved here this week! Although there are just about 5 of us and a big mean old turkey living here we are alive and well.

: Seriously, there are abandoned buildings and gold mine ruins here including some structures that look like big beehive ovens. There is a lovely house near me that had once been featured in a magazine when it was new. I live in a 100 year old cabin. There is also a sign stating that Wickes was named after a supervisor at the mine and the family had a reunion here in 1975.

: The owner of the property tells me there is another ghost town up the valley but I haven't seen it yet. When I find it I'll let you all know.

sherry
07-11-2011, 08:28 AM
My grandfather and great uncle were born in Wickes, MT around the turn of the century. They caught wild mustang horses and sold them to the calvary to make a living. They almost starved to death year after year until my uncle got a job on the Great Northern Railroad. He and my grandfather were engineers on the Great Northern and my dad was a fireman (that means he shoveled coal). My dad was born in Great Falls in 1927 and lived through the depression there. My dad, my sister (she was born in Great Falls in 1952) and I (I was born in California in 1954) are going to make a trip to Wickes in early August. I know most of the town burned but thought I would ask if there is anything in particular we should see. Thank you for any help you might be able to give us.