PDA

View Full Version : GPS anyone ?

Ghosttowns.com
07-02-1999, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Juraj

: I was thinking to improve this website to not provide

: only maps of Ghosttowns but also how to get there

: information. GPS coordinates might be VERY usefull !

: I'm willing to do it for Colorado. Anybody else wants

: to participate . Just in case I want to do something

: what was already done before, would you point me to

: some kind of information ?

Ghosttowns.com
07-02-1999, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Ghosttowns.com

: : I was thinking to improve this website to not provide

: : only maps of Ghosttowns but also how to get there

: : information. GPS coordinates might be VERY usefull !

: : I'm willing to do it for Colorado. Anybody else wants

: : to participate . Just in case I want to do something

: : what was already done before, would you point me to

: : some kind of information ?

: That is what we originally wanted to do with ghosttowns.com but aside from the marginal legality of providing exact locations, here is a quote from our learn how to ghost town section:

: A WORD ON DIRECTIONS

: Visiting our historic past can be one of the most rewarding experiences we can have. However, some people don't take it very seriously. You will find that most ghost town sites have been mostly or completely vandalized or shot to pieces. For the sake of preserving our history we have not given the exact directions to any of the ghost towns on this web site. We feel that if you are serious about visiting ghost towns you can take the information we give you together with a small amount of work and locate the towns. Individuals who take the time to do this will hopefully enjoy an awesome visit to our past and not take or destroy it. It might be good to point out here that there are federal and state laws governing "ghost towning". Federal law states an individual can be imprisoned and fined for so much as digging a small hole or removing anything at an archaeological site. Unfortunately this rules out all metal detecting. The only thing you can legally take at a ghost town is pictures! With that said, here is all the information you need to locate ghost towns, as well as other use full information. Happy ghost town hunting!

Ghosttowns.com
07-06-1999, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Why GPS when Rand McNalley will do in most cases with the sites contained within this website? The vast majority of regular GT.com users already know how to locate these towns. Regular visitors all know what to obtain or reference to find them. With most of these ghost town sites, there are ample publications on their history and location. And a big kudos to GT.com for restating their stand on giving out directions.