PDA

View Full Version : A Town Called NIGGERTON or NIGGERVILLE

Ghosttowns.com
07-12-1999, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by William Hope

: Need to find the location of a town called Niggerton not far from Bodie. Was suppose to be founded by some runnaway slaves in the early 1860s Was also well know for I guess you would call it Horse & Buggy Jackings right off the street and trade of Opuim type substance??

: Thank you ,

: William

Ghosttowns.com
07-18-1999, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Lewis Shorb

: : Need to find the location of a town called Niggerton not far from Bodie. Was suppose to be founded by some runnaway slaves in the early 1860s Was also well know for I guess you would call it Horse & Buggy Jackings right off the street and trade of Opuim type substance??

: : Thank you ,

: : William

: This town became a ghost because the name was not potlically correct!

Ghosttowns.com
07-19-1999, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: 1. Not sure if your query is on the up and up - the last portion appears to contain subtle typecasting. If so, then this type of comment has no place here. However, in case your query is indeed legitimate, then:

: 2. There was no settlement of the type you indicate. Bodie was far too small to attract this type of settlement nearby during this time period, Bodie was in its infancy.

: 3. Nearby Aurora was far larger and more popular. I've not read or seen anything to indicate this type of settlement in the vicinity, or in between Aurora and Bodie.

: 4. There were a few Negroes living in the region during the period you inquire about. Charlie's Butte in Owens Valley was named for Charlie Taylor, a Negro who was killed c.1861 when he and the McGee Family were enroute from Aurora to Bend City [see pages on both locations on this Website] in an Indian ambush. For the most part, Negro citizens lived quiet lives within settlements in the region as they represented a very small segment of the population prior to the Civil War.

: 5. Indians and Chinese were segragated outside or on the outskirts of both Bodie and Aurora, though their settlements were not indicated with a separate name, although Bodie's Chinese lived in "Chinatown" located on the northern end of the town.

TheHistoryHunter
05-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Around the year 1860 there was a Niggertown but it was located in Florida and was correctly called Niggertown Marsh and was a black settlement for newly freed slaves. I searched all the old maps of Bodie and surrounding area and came up with nothing. Sometimes locals name a section of town and gets passed down through the ages and takes on a real place persona. It foots the bill of the one in Florida though which is documented as being a real settlement.