PDA

View Full Version : Mine sites in Lake Crawley area?

Ghosttowns.com
08-03-1999, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by James Neeld

: Any mine sites in the Lake Crawley area north of Bishop.

: I heard there was some preserved mining sites with R.R. track, equipment etc.

: I have not been able to find much listed on maps.

: Any info?

Ghosttowns.com
08-03-1999, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Casa Diablo, 8.3 miles east of Crowley Lake dam. See web page for Mono County for photos.

: There are also several sites connected with the late 1930s project by Los Angeles Department of Water & Power where they bored a 11.6 mile long tunnel under the Mono Craters to divert Mono Basin watershed water to the Owens River. Crowley Lake was created during this endevour. There were two portal camps and two shaft camps. The tunnel was bored on six different fronts - they bored in at West Portal (camp, shops, dorms, some single family dwellings) post office, theater), and at East Portal (near present Aquilarius Ranch - shops, dorms). Two shafts were also drilled down, the bores drilled in each direction from tunnel grade. At the shafts were some buildings, dorms. There are remains of tracks, foundations, debris at all sites.

: East of Crowley Lake there are many individual small mines, some with ruins. Consult Inyo National Forest map, there are many roads bisecting the country between the lake and the Benton, Hammil and Chalfant Valleys. The larger mines are also shown and named on the map.

Ghosttowns.com
08-16-1999, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Cat and Ripley

: James,

: I'd have to break out a map to tell you the exact names, but yes there are TONS of mines back there behind Crowley! Casa Diablo has some ruins (not much) but I would suggest checking out the mines in the Chidago Canyon area! The largest one being the Black Rock Mine. The Golden Crown (?) has quite a large foundation from a mill as well. I cant seem to find any history on any of these sites though.

: David Wright (also has a follow up post for this question) is THE best informed on the local history, maybe he would know any info on these mines? David?

: Oh! And watch of for snakes in the Chidago Canyon area, I cant seem to spend any time out there without running into a few!

: HAVE FUN!

: ~Cat and Ripley

: : Any mine sites in the Lake Crawley area north of Bishop.

: : I heard there was some preserved mining sites with R.R. track, equipment etc.

: : I have not been able to find much listed on maps.

: : Any info?