PDA

View Full Version : All posts by user ghosttowns.com

Ghosttowns.com
12-26-2003, 06:41 PM
All posts from the beginning of ghosttowns.com in 1998 through Dec 26th, 2003 are listed under user ghosttowns.com. This is because the forum used to be a simple wwwboard forum and these posts were imported. This new forum is of the type where each user that wants to post must register first. The old forums didnt require registration. So there was no way to import the old posts under the actual poster. However, if you read the post or thread it will say in the thread who was the person who originally posted.

BradM
12-29-2003, 09:25 PM
"However, if you read the post or thread it will say in the thread who was the person who originally posted."[/QUOTE]
You mean the person who originally posted as far as you know ;)

Since you are soliciting comments-
With the point I made above, I'll also comment that inserting old posts in a manner that causes the reader to have to open each thread to discern its author's identity is probably a bit burdensome and confusing. I understand this is the only way to get these old posts onto the new board. I also understand the desire to flesh out a new board with material; however were it me I would make the old posts go away and start from scratch with posts from indentifiable, registered members.

Brad

Ghosttowns.com
12-29-2003, 09:51 PM
yes, but the problem with that is the old posts have very important information in them - current status, remains, directions, trespassing info, historical info etc... that needs to be searchable as an archive - thats why we imported them... You can use this search and look for say Cascabel and you will see all the old posts on Cascabel which we thought was of primary importance :)

Bob
12-30-2003, 01:13 AM
yes, but the problem with that is the old posts have very important information in them - current status, remains, directions, trespassing info, historical info etc... that needs to be searchable as an archive - thats why we imported them... You can use this search and look for say Cascabel and you will see all the old posts on Cascabel which we thought was of primary importance :)

I agree the old post are a valuable asset but really wish the date of the original post could be available. A lot has happened in the last 6 years, some of the information in the old posts is a bit stale, I wonder if these old posts wouldn't be better as a "read Only" archive. The new board puts threads recently posted to at the top of the list, when reading. Threads that hadn't been posted to in say 90/120 days could be archived. Just a thought, love the new board but get embarrassed when I read an old post complete with typos and mispellings I can't correct.

Ghosttowns.com
01-03-2004, 09:06 PM
I agree the old post are a valuable asset but really wish the date of the original post could be available. A lot has happened in the last 6 years, some of the information in the old posts is a bit stale, I wonder if these old posts wouldn't be better as a "read Only" archive. The new board puts threads recently posted to at the top of the list, when reading. Threads that hadn't been posted to in say 90/120 days could be archived. Just a thought, love the new board but get embarrassed when I read an old post complete with typos and mispellings I can't correct.
Well... each of the old posts is in this new board on the actual original post date. We were able to import the post date with no problem, just not the users :) because there were none before...

Bob
01-03-2004, 11:07 PM
Well... each of the old posts is in this new board on the actual original post date. We were able to import the post date with no problem, just not the users :) because there were none before...

I saw that but when someone posts on a two year old message, the only date I can find is the last post date. It may just be I haven't learned the system well enough. Is there a way to find the posting date of old posts after someone else has recently posted in that thread. Just a comment, not a complaint :)

Ghosttowns.com
01-04-2004, 01:14 AM
yes, its at the top of each post section - each post on a thread is in a blue box and at the top left of that is the date of that actual post - just checked some old posts that had recent posts as well and it seems to be working fine... if you dont see that on your browser let us know - maybe there is some other issue...

Bob
01-04-2004, 11:09 AM
yes, its at the top of each post section - each post on a thread is in a blue box and at the top left of that is the date of that actual post - just checked some old posts that had recent posts as well and it seems to be working fine... if you dont see that on your browser let us know - maybe there is some other issue...

I was in linear mode where that didn't happen. Have to be in Linear mode at home on my dial up modem as if I select one of the other modes, I get

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/gforums/public_html/includes/functions_threadedmode.php on line 25...

on the larger posts. I try it from work on a T-1 Monday, just another reason to consider upgrading my net access at home. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.

Ghosttowns.com
01-04-2004, 12:58 PM
ahhh, dialup- ouch - these new forums arent built to be used on a dialup connection.. we use the linear mode as well and the dates are showing up in the upper left of each blue box (reply) - if you dont see the date there what do you see in the upper left of the blue box?

Bob
01-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Yup, see it there now. It might be my bad eyesight and/or the 15 monitor I use at home. I'm spoiled at work with a great monitor and great connection. Come home and all I have is like me, old and tired. Thanks for your patience.

ahhh, dialup- ouch - these new forums arent built to be used on a dialup connection.. we use the linear mode as well and the dates are showing up in the upper left of each blue box (reply) - if you dont see the date there what do you see in the upper left of the blue box?

rockawaylynda
05-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Way back in the early 1970's..we used to go to gravity hill in the San Fernando Valley....It was not all that popular then...it was really creepy because of the Cemetary gates...and you could very well be the only one ot there! Everyone still seems to be debating whether or not it is an optical illusion or not...I got out of the car and walked it! You can tell the difference when you are walking up a hill or down a hill...and, when my friends car was going backwards in neutral...I was following along on foot... deffinately...UPHILL! I am 53 years old and still remember the goosebumps on my arms! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_1.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001)

lovlyperson
06-14-2004, 05:42 AM
Dear People !
Austria is a Nice Country.I am from Kufstein/Tirol in the Mountain (ALPS)
I am Very interested in North-America,and have planed,to emigrant to there for staying around the rockies.I will work there,buying a Land tom have a smallranch.
Actually is somethings in Europe so gut as Impossible,becouse,there too many Law's,they are against that,and it is not possible to open a ranch so easyly for hobby.
but,today will i bring you a link to a Austrian Internet-New's,which was found for the UN-CITY,and theres Diplomats/Staff in Vienna.
I hope,many will Visit it,and they are happy whit it.
It cost about $40.-/year
See you Later !

Ryan Hill
06-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Hi!
Where abouts in the Rockies are you planning to settle in?