PDA

View Full Version : Ghost on Warm Springs Trail?!

mudbug
01-04-2004, 03:24 PM
I've been exploring Death Valley for thirty years. Up until last year, I had never experienced anything really strange. My son and I had traveled from Badwater up the alluvial fan using the Warm Springs trail. We stopped at a mine. On the eastern slope. The mine was dug into some white material. I think it was talc. I'm not sure. We decided to spend the night there. As we were unloading some stuff, I looked over to the west and saw a man in a white shirt standing with his hands on his hips watching us. He was about 30 or 40 yards away. I was pretty steamed because here we were in the middle of nowhere, and we ended up right next to someone else. He looked equally displeased. About 15 or 20 minutes later, I walked over to talk to the guy and check him out. When I got to where I had seen him, there was nothing there. No man, no camp, no vehicle, no tracks. He definitely did not go east past us, and I'm sure I would have heard his vehicle winding west up the trail. I suppose he could have walked off cross country, but doing that just before sunset would be pretty odd. Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone knows the history of this mine or has heard any similar stories.

David A. Wright
01-04-2004, 06:58 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone knows the history of this mine or has heard any similar stories.The mine at Warm Springs was worked by Pfizer until about 1980. There is an interpretive sign at the entrance of the camp buildings giving the history of the camp.