PDA

View Full Version : Suitable Vehicles

100x
01-30-2004, 09:01 AM
I have never visited a Montana Ghost town, but my son and I are planning a visit to Montana for Prairie Dog Hunting and visiting Ghost Towns. We should be well mapped with GPS, a PC and still growing paper map library. That being said, we not sure our 4x$ Honda Element will handle some of the GTown access roads. My concern is not about getting stuck, more a question about which sites would need a "rock crawler" and which sites would accessable with prudent driving in a 4x4 grocery getter. Any info would be appreciated.

ghost_town_huntress
01-30-2004, 10:35 AM
I have never visited a Montana Ghost town, but my son and I are planning a visit to Montana for Prairie Dog Hunting and visiting Ghost Towns. We should be well mapped with GPS, a PC and still growing paper map library. That being said, we not sure our 4x$ Honda Element will handle some of the GTown access roads. My concern is not about getting stuck, more a question about which sites would need a "rock crawler" and which sites would accessable with prudent driving in a 4x4 grocery getter. Any info would be appreciated.You're going to beat the crap out of that thing; at last year's ghost town rally in Ely we rented a brand new Jeep Cherokee and returned it five days later with dents and scratches all over it. Needless to say they won't let us rent from them again. Hence why I bought an old beater '85 Chevy Blazer instead of a Saturn VUE after that, it's already got dents and scratches all over it; now if my hubby can just hurry and put the engine in it so I can go ghost towning again!

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

modette
02-19-2004, 06:19 PM
My friend and I rented first a Mitsubishi Endeavor AWD...worked great, we did the Barker Ranch in Death Valley with it, only to blow a tire ont he way to the "racetrack". So then Hertz gave us a Windstar...then we decided to go to Los Vegas and they traded it for a Land Rover Discovery...the rental for the week was $200 unlimited miles...heck the Land Rover came free with GPS. We then had real fun making our own roads through the bush...but we did not dent or scratch it at all...hmmm

If you have skid plates then you are okay, just go slow and be carefull...if you can rent a 4x4...put the miles on their car, put the wear and tear on their car...just my .02

David A. Wright
05-14-2004, 01:34 PM
... Honda Element ...The Element, in my opinion, is not a worthy vehicle for the type of travel you infer. It is too low, and the independent rear suspension struts are vulnerable to being hit by rocks. You might be able to descend rocky/bouldery roads, but ascending would be a real problem.