PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS or moving map or ??

Ghosttowns.com
02-10-2004, 11:54 PM
We always get asked which GPS unit we use when we go ghost towning at ghosttowns.com. Well, we use compaq Ipaq pocket pc's like the 3955. Then we use the Navman2 GPS Sleeve for the compaq ipaq's. Then we use the Pocket Navigator Software to interface the GPS with real 7.5" USGS topo maps (available from Maptech). Of course we have dash mounts and external power for when travelliing.

What does all of that make? A nice hand held full color (3 x 4 inch screen) moving map GPS unit that is both powered by the vehicle when driving but you can also grab and take it with you when hiking, and all the while you can see your exact position on a real USGS 7.5" (the most detailed) topographical map. There is nothing better then that! All of that can be had for about $700 including the maps you need for your state.

Any drawbacks? the 7.5 maps take a lot of mem so you need to get a few 256mb cf cards and load all the maps you think you might want before you go. Other then that, no...

Whats also nice is you not only have the gps/moving map but its also a pocket pc so you have all that goes along with that as well such as email, word, your address book - games, calendars and much more.

BradM
08-15-2004, 05:03 PM
How is the Pocket Navigator/iPAQ working for you? Still doing well? Any problems with dust or other issues?

I carefully considered doing the same thing, as 7.5 minute is the best like you said, but my concerns about powering this unit have kept me away so far.

cheever
08-16-2004, 05:37 AM
Brad,

While on your machine keep it plugged into the 12V recepticle. I'm not sure which wheeler you are riding, but most come with a recepticle these days and if not I'm sure that you can install one. I have the HP H5555 and although it doesn't come with a DC adaptor one can be purchased for about $20. This method seems to work the best and gives you plenty of run time while out hiking and looking for the next big mine to explore.

xplor'npaul
07-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Hi there, I saw Brad m mentioned power issue in regards to taking a laptop....just wanted to let y'all know, there are several portable solar panel makers that make lightweight small solar panels that you can take "into the field" here is one link that will help to get you started on your search for the perfect solar panel for you, if you decide to go that route... they range in price from about 60 bucks, to 349 for a laptop charger,..by the way, the laptop charger will double the working time of the laptop if used in conjunction with the computers battery........ anyway, it's just a thought, I know alot of people will say they would never take hi-tech gear into the wilderness, ....being the purists they are, which is cool...but for the life of me I cant figure out why anybody WOULDNT take something to make life easier into the wilds.....heres that link:http://www.myles-rec.com/12%20Volt%20City/12%20Volt%20Accessories/page25/solar_powered_accessories.htm
enjoy!