PDA

View Full Version : Bonito, Arizona

Ghostdancer
03-09-2004, 08:27 AM
I'm wondering what the current status is on Bonita, Arizona. This is suppose to be the place where Billy the Kid killed his first man and am curious to see it sometime.

Tom

SuzukiTom
03-25-2004, 06:32 PM
I didn't know Billy the Kid was in Bonita. He seemed to have ranged pretty far. There is a small cave near where I work that has his name and a date carved in the limestone. I'll have to get a picture and post it, and see if anyone can authenticate it as his.

As far as Bonita, AZ goes, there's not much there. Last time I was through there (2000), it was only a small general store and some small ranch properties.

BigNoseKate
06-04-2004, 07:35 AM
I was there in Oct, 2002, and just as Tom said, There isn't much. Billy supposedly had his first kill there and very likely worked on neighboring ranches. The foreman in 2002 at Sierra Bonita, the ranch that belonged to the late Henry Hooker, says that although Billy's name doesn't appear in the ranch records, he may well have been part of a group of sort-of freelance cowboys who rotated from one ranch to another during busy season (round-ups, branding, eta). If that is actually the case, Billy, who wasn't a regular hand on that ranch, would likely not appear on the ledgers.

Kate

Flaco
02-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Billys 1st killing was in Camp Grant,AZ.

SuzukiTom
03-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Camp (Fort) Grant is only a short distance from Bonita. But it's not a public location, it's now a Arizona State Prison complex.

Tom H.

Watt Noise
03-19-2006, 11:28 AM
The original Camp Grant was located along the confluence of the San Pedro River and the West end of Aravaipa Creek just North of Mammoth, AZ... In 1872 the camp was moved to its present location on the East side of Aravaipa Canyon near Clifton, AZ... Shortly thereafter, it was "upgraded" in name to Fort Grant... A State Prison is located on the site today...

The original Camp Grant area to the west was the site of the worst Apache massacre in AZ in 1871... The massacre led to the murder trial of over 100 prominent Tucsonans by order of President Grant... After 3 days of trial and deliberations, they were acquitted...

The original site was intact as late as the 1980's... But, as has happened many times to historic sites on private land, this one is gone... The story goes that the landowner was "getting tired" of people stopping and asking to look at the old camp... She had it bulldozed to the ground... Sad... Perhaps history will be the only justice served, as no matter what else this person may accomplish, she will always be known for this act...

Ghostdancer
04-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Speaking of Billy, here's an article from this week's Tucson Weekly regarding another person who later claimed he was BTK.

The New Billy the Kid (http://www.tucsonweekly.com/gbase/Currents/Content?oid=oid:81013)

Tom