PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Town Camping.

Ghostdancer
03-26-2004, 07:04 AM
Has anyone ever been camping in or near a ghost town?

Myself and a friend of mine camped just outside of Dusquesne, Arizona some years back. One of the few places that had any ideal spots that I've seen.

This though the U.S.-Mexico border is only about five or six miles away; we probably would not want to do so now.

Tom

Ryan Hill
03-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Am I correct in believing that camping in GTs is illegal (not that I'm pointing any fingers), or am I just makin things up here?

:confused:

Ghostdancer
03-26-2004, 10:28 AM
Am I correct in believing that camping in GTs is illegal (not that I'm pointing any fingers), or am I just makin things up here?

:confused:
We didn't camp inside the town; just in an area very near it and I believe is on national forest land. I know that at Ruby camping is allowed in this one area according to the caretaker at the time we were there.

I'm not aware of any laws though.

Tom

Ryan Hill
03-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Oh, okay. I guess that camping within a forest or park is cool. I'm not too sharp on laws concerning GTs, so lets hope that someone holds the answer. I need closure peope, is it legal to camp within a GT?!!!

:D

Cecile
03-26-2004, 12:52 PM
It would depend upon the laws of the governing land agencies where the ghost town is located. In some National forests you can only camp in designated camp grounds, others you can camp pretty much anywhere. On BLM land you can usually camp anywhere. The National Parks I know of with ghost towns would not allow it. Privately owned ghost towns would have their own rules. it's not allowed at Cerro Gordo.

I have camped in Masonic, and I have camped a few miles outside of Bodie on public lands.

High Desert Drifter
03-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Like Cecile I too have been camping in open land areas surrounding Bodie, Ca. one of my favorites is between Masonic and the Chemung Mine Site where there is a neat little oasis of trees and a water spring.

When I plan a trip, I always check my maps and look for BLM and Forest Dept. land so I know where I can spend the night as needed.
Check with the regulating agency, sometimes back country passes are required if spending the night. And if there are no posted regulations forbiding it and you do not camp within 50 yards of any remaining structures (unwritten rule). make yourself at home. Oh yea,
watch for no camp fire signs, and treat your camp area as if it were going to be inspected by the Ranger, who will pay you a visit if passing by and not busy.

lovlyperson
09-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Has anyone ever been camping in or near a ghost town?

Myself and a friend of mine camped just outside of Dusquesne, Arizona some years back. One of the few places that had any ideal spots that I've seen.

This though the U.S.-Mexico border is only about five or six miles away; we probably would not want to do so now.

TomI have never been in the Staates,but it must be Great.

Ryan Hill
09-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Where are you from??

:)

Austrian_classadriver
09-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Where are you from??

:)I am from Kufstein in Austria,but drive a Truck whit Rollerbedcourtainsider-Trailer in Aircargo at Londons Airport "Heathrow".