PDA

View Full Version : Question on Promotion

trishableau
03-29-2004, 07:39 AM
How do those of you who have websites promote them? I am searching for some new ideas for promo to try out with various sites I have. Currently we have metatags on the sites, we are are submitting to search engines, we are emailing and asking for reciprocal links, we have tried webrings, etc. What other ideas do you have for promo that we might attempt to get the name out there? What are you guys doing for your own websites and how do you find other websites when you are looking for information?

Cactusman
03-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Most of the better search engines base the placement of your site on the list by the dollar value of your investment. To list your site cost very little, but to have it near the top of the list is more expencive. There are really only a few companies that you should bother to advertise with. That would be be the "Big Three". Google, Yahoo!, and Excite!, are by far the most used services for searches.

In an attempt to respect the topic of the room, you have my invitation to e-mail me if you need anything more.

Have a great day!

Cactusman

trishableau
03-30-2004, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the info. I hate the idea of paying for promotion though. I have a Christian website that has been online for about 4 years now and we have never paid for advertising and are now well over 16000 hits per day average, just word of mouth and good content....

Perhaps I am just not being patient enough with this project... I just want to get the word out about the Ghost Town project and see new states adopted and sites going up with relevant information on them. I think what is hard for the US site is the fact that it is an index page for the other states so there really is not much in the way of content to offer to people who visit the site... they end up being redirected to the state of their interest, which is the point of the project, but drawing people TO the site to redirect them is a slow process right now.

What ideas would be good ones to put on the US Ghost Towns website? I am going to place a banner rotation on there (as soon as I finish designing banners for the various states we have listed currently), put up forums for discussion, and continue to add more development and research articles for those who are volunteering, as well as continue to expand on the links section (i am going to put up an actual links program rather than text links as I have done so far). What else do people suggest I do with the site so far to help draw more people to it so that they might learn more about the project and possibly get involved? Ideas?

Cactusman
04-01-2004, 10:57 AM
As you mentioned, attracting attention for your site can be a challenge. One method used by many is a link or banner exchange. Banners attract about four times the attention of links. Graphics have a way of doing that.

One consideration is to get involved with a couple affiliate programs. Companies are willing to pay you to put their banners on your site. For example, you have a christian site that tries to deliver a message. You decide that you have limited resources and can't afford to uprade your search engine standing. You get a banner from a company that markets christian teaching supplies and they pay you for each clickthrough that results in a purchase. You use that revinue to pay for a more effective search enginestanding. Your cost out of pocket? $0.00

No matter what kind of exchange program you participate in, keep in mind that you don't want to direct traffic away from your site without making easy for folks to return and make use of your site.

A word of caution... Too many links and banners leading away from your site can negativly impact the appeal of your site. I would limit the number of links and banners to two or three.

lovlyperson
07-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Hi Dear !
How is it by:http:www.yahoo.com,
you get there a free Email-account,and you can Start there whit a Webside.
You can uptate your Email-account,and Webside as well,which may cost $30.-/month about.
They have some help,you can download.
Have a look.

one_bad_rover
08-11-2004, 01:47 PM
No disrespect intended but it seems that you are undercutting the original Ghosttowns.com site and forum and then trying to find out how to do it better by some sneaky means... what is this christian website, because I couldnt find anything about it on your "US"ghosttowns.com site. I would suggest working with the moderator of ghosttowns.com and the forum if you have something to add instead of adding more redundant sites to the web. just my .02