PDA

View Full Version : Best Utah ghost towns

yumyum1667
04-05-2004, 04:50 PM
My wife and I will be in southern Utah next week and will be staying in Torrey (outside of Capital Reef national Park).

Are there any ghost towns worth seeing in the area?

Thanks!

Greg

Ghosttown Bob
05-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Right in the park is what is left of Fruita. Approximately where the visitor's center is. In fact the campground in the park sits in the middle of an old orchard as fruita. At the park's visitor's center there is informaion on Fruita and the surroounding area.

Other ghosttowns in the area are Aldrich just out side the east entrance to the park, about a mile from the Moki Ruins. This was a small famrming settlement. To the South about five miles is what is left of Notom, another farming settlement. And further east past Cainsville are the ruins of Giles, which sit right along the road about halfway between Cainsville and Hanksville. Some interesting old red rock stone houses are left.

Good luck on your trip!

wmeddley
06-28-2004, 06:50 AM
There is an old school on the left side of the road that is very photogenic also. I got several pictures of it when we were there a few years ago. Very pretty area..... I would love to go back but too late for me to do much traveling....