PDA

View Full Version : Inyo county ghost towns

wannabeharleyguy
04-07-2004, 10:43 AM
I'm planning a photographic trip to sveral ghost towns in Inyo county CA. If anyone has info on getting access or permission to access these towns please let me know.

Laws, Reward, Ubehebe, Cerro Gordo, Darwin, Lookout, Wildrose Camp, Panamint City, Ballarat, Ryan, Inyo

Cecile
04-08-2004, 08:40 AM
Laws is more of a railroad museum/ historic site park than a ghost town, but is well worth seeing. Easily accesible - right on highway 6 from Bishop. It's open from 10 - 4 daily.

Most of he other towns you have listed require 4-wheel drive vehicles to access, except for Panamint City which turns into a strenuous hike on foot. You do not need permission to go to these. They are in Death Valley Natiional Park. You might go to www.death-valley.us and ask my friends over there about these places.

Cerro Gordo is a privately owned ghost town in the Inyo Mountains. Best to call ahead and let the caretakers know you plan a visit - John and Roxie Bowden can be reached at 760-87-1860.

Darwin is not really a ghost town - still has people living in it - but it is a rather haunting place. Ballarat has a store with a caretaker, Donna, but you can just drive up and stop in.

You are talking about a fairly large area and will need several days to see all of this and do it right.

There are also several good books available on all of these areas.