PDA

View Full Version : Ghost towns

Charlotje19
04-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Hi,

Can anybody give me an example of an authentic Ghost town and a more touristic Ghost town?

:) charlotte

High Desert Drifter
04-12-2004, 11:28 AM
I believe you could consider Calico in California and Virginia City in Nevada as examples of a tourist ghost town. (town with historical interest now dependant on economy of tourism to survive). and any abandoned ghost town where economy is no longer present as a "true ghost" town.

If I were classifying towns, I would say there are also some border line ones like Cerro Gordo in California which has caretakers and accepts donations for upkeep.

Of course some of the others may disagree with my thinking or termonology on this. does this help any ?

Bob
04-12-2004, 03:13 PM
I take umbrage that you would even consider Virginia City in Nevada as a Ghost Town. It is the thriving county seat of Storey County and has been for over140 years and while it may not be as luxuriant as it was in the 1870's it does not, and never has, come close to the broadest ghost town definition Iím aware of, that it is but "... a shadowy semblance of a former self."

Charlotje19
04-13-2004, 12:49 AM
Thank you very much for all your help.

:) Charlotte