PDA

View Full Version : Union, Arizona

bbrown
06-09-2004, 07:23 AM
I am doing research on the Union Mine and nearby Union, Arizona. I noticed that the entry on the Ghosttowns.com site was written in the first person and indicated that the author had visited the site prior to bulldozing.

Who wrote that and could that person describe what he saw in more detail?

Thanks,

Bill Brown
http://www.phoenixhistory.com/ (coming soon)

reverendbadass
08-24-2004, 01:32 AM
To my knowledge, the Union Mine I visited was not related to the town called Union. Nonetheless, what I saw was the blasthouse pictured on the site, which was right in front of a large tailings pile. There was High Chapparal gulch splitting the site down the center, with a few foundations of buildings along the banks. There were no other buildings that I recall, but of course, this was three years ago that I was there.

I almost confused the site with Chapparal, but I find while it is similar, it is not quite what is listed for that townsite.

Getting to the Union Mine site is pretty easy... you just take the dirt road leading past the Iron King (I think that's the name) along Hwy 69 by Humboldt. Follow the dirt road through the hills for a while, past the white gate (the turn off to McCabe) and a little further, past some newer houses. After parking our non-4WD, it was probably a mile hike along the gulch pathway.

Ghosttowns.com
08-29-2004, 01:41 AM
Actually I think the post is talking about the town of Union in Maricopa County and I was the one that was there - its all built over now and was directly behind the superlite block company south of deer valley between 7th street and Cave Creek. There were a few mines and holes wrapping around the mountain and a few buildings left that are since destroyed and built over by some new businesses. Directly to the east there is what appears to be a water treatment facility now as well.