PDA

View Full Version : Starfire Opal Mine, Gabbs Nevada

Trishe
06-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Does anyone have the directions to the Starfire Opal Mine near Gabbs, Nevada. I think it is near Mount Anne. Also is it currently in operation?

Fred Rovetti
06-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Camped at the mine last October for a week while searching for petrified wood. I have visited this abandoned mine on many occaisions over the last 15 years. Blm came in way back when and flattened the remains of any structure that had been there and the dry wash to the mine itself is impassible for the last 1000 yards or so. I have never put the odometer to work getting to this place but will do so the first week of October this year and tell you the exact route. Basically the route as follows. Take hiwy 50 east out of Fallon, Nev. to hiwy 261 or 361 i can't remember exactly, but it is the only paved right turn at the old Middlegate Station that heads down to Gabbs, Nev. approx. 30 miles south. At mile post 22 I believe ( I will confirm this in Oct.) turn right onto a dirt road that heads west and then goes around a bend and heads souyhwest for several miles until you cross a fence the only fence line you will see. continue on for a ways until the dirt road forks. Take the right fork and follow that road until it end in a dry wash. Turn right and head up the wash, avoiding the large boulders until you can't drive any further. You shuould be able toi see the tailings from that point and it's an easy walk from there. The opal is seam opal only and the area has been extensivley bulldozed. The opal itself actually leans more towards an agate, pure white in color with flashes of red, blue & green in the very hard to find pieces with color. If i were to be looking just for opal I would not spend any time here at all, but would pay the fees & dig up at the Wilson's Royal Peacock Opal Mine in Virgin Valley. Hope this helps and hope this gets to you. Any questions about the Gabbs area in general don't hesitate to ask. Fred

kimisland
06-25-2006, 12:39 AM
Hi there. Any gold, diamond or emerald mines come to mind? Looking to spend a little time as a hobby now that the son is off to college. I heard about some Emerald mine a few years back and sure could use some extra moneys.

Let me know & thanx.

Kim;)

Fred Rovetti
06-25-2006, 07:58 AM
I saw your question and noticed that you are from Oregon. The sothwest corner of Oregon has some great placer gold areas west of Medford and around Grants Pass as well The whole area just north of the California border around Cave Junction and north to the Rogue River contains placer gold. Get yourself some basic placer gold know how books and a copy of the Gold Diggers Atlas and have some fun panning some beautiful spots. Hope this helps.
Fred