PDA

View Full Version : Ditch the background music

caver
06-29-2004, 06:24 AM
I find it annoying when I have a CD in the computer or listening to internet radio.
This holds for ANY site that uses background wavs.

Cecile
06-30-2004, 04:21 PM
You always have an option to turn the sound off of your computer when you don't want to hear something. That's what I do. And you can listen to the music you want to on your regular radio or cd player, instead of the computer.

ghost_town_huntress
06-30-2004, 09:04 PM
I love the background music!!! Keep it, keep it!!!!!

Dodging Cars
01-18-2005, 01:32 PM
You always have an option to turn the sound off of your computer when you don't want to hear something. That's what I do. And you can listen to the music you want to on your regular radio or cd player, instead of the computer.
True. But, its quite annoying and I think you'd find that most internet users hate background music on webpages. In addition to be annoying, it slows down the loading time for the front page.

It's not a nice sound to have it blast at midnight when you load up a page. I'd be willing to bet you lose some returning guest just because of the music.

As for the suggestion. Yes, many of us have the luxury of playing our music on a seperate device, but not everybody. For some, the computer is their CD/music player.

warc1
03-06-2005, 08:12 PM
I have joined this forum just so I can add my voice to those pleading to dump the music on this site. It is disruptive as ****, repetitously annoying and makes visiting an otherwise great site a great pain.

To try and put this in perspective, think of taking any song (even your personal favorite), put a CD of it on endless repeat and see how long you can keep your sanity. That is what the webmasters of this site are asking of their readers. The same song repeats on every frickin page of the site. Navigate to a new page, and the same song starts all over again. I don't know of any other website that does this, and for good reason. Driving readers insane is generally considered counterproductive in building a Web community.

P.S. Turning off the sound on one's PC just to visit this site is not a reasonable suggestion as stated in the previous post. Since even the moderator admits to doing this, just what is the value of having music in the first place?

Johnnie
03-07-2005, 06:13 AM
I have joined this forum just so I can add my voice to those pleading to dump the music on this site. It is disruptive as ****, repetitously annoying and makes visiting an otherwise great site a great pain.

To try and put this in perspective, think of taking any song (even your personal favorite), put a CD of it on endless repeat and see how long you can keep your sanity. That is what the webmasters of this site are asking of their readers. The same song repeats on every frickin page of the site. Navigate to a new page, and the same song starts all over again. I don't know of any other website that does this, and for good reason. Driving readers insane is generally considered counterproductive in building a Web community.

P.S. Turning off the sound on one's PC just to visit this site is not a reasonable suggestion as stated in the previous post. Since even the moderator admits to doing this, just what is the value of having music in the first place?To the (Newbie) "Who addmits signing on to this web-site (just post) that message above", we find it very "Rude" not for posting their opinion, but for addmitting they did (zoomed) in on just the music, and not even takeing "time" to look over the web-site for the other great contents that this web-site has to offer. So we suggest to do what Cecile, reccomends turn off the music, the majority of us find the music enjoyable not annoying as the (Newbie) stated above. How would like to be in one of those countries that would not even allowed to voice your "Rude" opinion.

Johnnie & Sheila

warc1
03-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Where did I say that I never took the time to look over this website? I've had this site bookmarked since December 29, 1998 (I checked the shortcut date) and in that time I have visited virtually every section. This is just the first time that I joined the forum and offered feedback - something that I thought was the purpose of not only the forum in general, but was literally stated in the name of this specific board.

Instead I have to put up with the infantile implication that I should just thank my lucky stars that this board exists and how dare I have the effrontery to actually use it. Yes, thank god I don't live in a country populated by people who believe personal attacks are the appropriate response for holding a view that differs from their own.

I would like to know what evidence you have that your opinion is in the majority. So far, there have been more posts requesting that the music be removed than there have been posts in support. And kindly knock off the condescending (Newbie) crap.

old judge
03-07-2005, 04:18 PM
I vote for it. Perhaps my set-up is different, but I can mute the music, if I wished, in about 2 seconds. As it is, I don't wish. Sorry about the perceived attitude. I guess I'd just prefer you contribute, now that we've had your comment aired. OJ

warc1
03-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the more reasoned reply. The attitude from the previous poster was not perceived, it was spelled out in plain language.

The intent of making my first post on this issue was solely to illustrate how significant it is to me. Almost immediately afterwards, I contributed information to another ghost town thread. In other words, it is not my intent to be here strictly as a complainer. As I said right off the top, I consider this to be a great site and an invaluable resource. However, I donít think it is realized just how intrusive and problematic music implementation has become on this site.

As others have tried to explain, PCís are multitasking devices that can be and are used for more than just web viewing. This site hijacks the sound capabilities of your PC without your permission and the only suggested recourse is to disable sound in its entirety. This is not reasonable. For me, this means that while viewing this site, I cannot listen to MP3ís, CDís or internet radio nor can I receive email or IM notifications. In many ways, it is not much different than websites that highjack your home page and flood you with unwanted pop ups. Yes, there are workarounds to mitigate, but not eliminate these problems. The point is, do the webmasters really want their site to be in the same league as web spammers.

This does not even deal with the specifics of the music implementation that are equally problematic. On my computer, entering this site causes the midi synthesizer to be played back at max volume no matter what the synthesizer volume is set at. This is downright jarring when listened to privately and terribly disruptive when in a public setting, such as work.

As I said in my original post, the fact that the same song is played over and over again is completely insensitive. I donít know anyone that doesnít become irritated when forced to listen to an endless loop of the same song, even if it is their absolute favorite. This is made even worse by the fact that navigating to a new page causes this same song to stop and restart at the beginning. In other words, itís not the entire song that you hear over and over, but the opening bars. After enough time, this takes on aspects of torture.

There is an alternative. The music could be streamed and accessed through a link that people can click on if they want this feature. Everyone else shouldnít be forced to surrender a core function of their PC just to visit this site.

GeologyMonkey
03-17-2005, 07:09 AM
The background music is pretty bad. I have to make advanced preparations to visit this site. My computer is also my home stereo system and if I forget to turn off the music before visiting this site, everyone in the house gets blasted with banjo music. I shouldn't have to turn off my audio to visit a site.

This isn't just my opinion. I have a book on HTML 4 and the chapter on adding sounds starts with the disclaimer "be advised that adding sounds to Web sites is considered to be poor taste".

Attitude by jonnie = unecessary.

vancegmillett
03-19-2005, 11:52 PM
I'm looking for a ghost town site that played the theam from the movie "High Planes Drifter". I think that this is it, but I'm not sure because I don't hear any music. Was that the music that was heard here? Thanks.

vancegmillett@hotmail.com

Mikejts
03-20-2005, 08:09 AM
I like this idea - "There is an alternative. The music could be streamed and accessed through a link that people can click on if they want this feature. Everyone else shouldnít be forced to surrender a core function of their PC just to visit this site."

I hate the music. (I have for a long time)

Just imagine this scenario. I work out of a home office. I am on many conference calls. Frequently during these sometimes boring calls I surf the internet. Just imagine the horror on the call if I suddenly stop at your site and blasted all the callers with your music. Come on now. Give me a break - you don't want me to lose my job do you?

GaryB
03-20-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm looking for a ghost town site that played the theam from the movie "High Planes Drifter". I think that this is it, but I'm not sure because I don't hear any music. Was that the music that was heard here? Thanks.

vancegmillett@hotmail.com

The music in question is the music on the towns & maps pages. I don't mind it at times. Some times it gets old. A button to turn it off on the homepage would be an easy fix IMO.

The "High Plains Drifter" music site I think you refer to is here:
http://http://nvghosttowns.topcities.com/gtlist.htm