PDA

View Full Version : Some Morning Thoughts

Machann
07-27-2004, 03:48 AM
I think anyone who seeks out old abandoned towns strictly to view and/or photograph is always hoping for that pristine environment and the feeling that they are the first person to find the town in the last 50-100 years. A town were the original occupants just closed the doors and walked away leaving everything behind because all the reasons they settled in the town had disappeared and there was no reason to stay any longer.

This is always the hope for "Ghost Town" explorers.

Bodie, Cal is the only place in the USA that I know of where this is more fact than fiction. Things are kept in a state of arrested decay. Preservation not restoration. We all want to find the proverbial King Tuts Tomb. "What do you see?" as Howard Carter was peering thru a small hole in the ante chamber by the light of a candle. His response was "I see wonderful things."

Today our imagination must play a key role in any exploring because America is such a young country in comparison to the rest of the world. The Wild West was really that. Raw, unforgiving and built with mostly wood, tin and adobe. A few more established towns with wealth had some brick buildings. But they were in the minority.

Wood and adobe was fairly plentiful in most places. Saw mills were set up on the spot and the local forests were cut to provide the timber needed for construction. Larger towns with deep mines were not as fortunate. Much of their wood had to be hauled in after the local areas were cleared of trees. The landscape in and around most towns soon became open area's of dust, wind, snow, rain and mud.

We must find a way to preserve. Treating what remains with an archaeological approach. The families that have survived for generations in most areas do little to preserve the old structures. I have seen this repeated almost without exception. Maybe those are the people that our individual states need to assist. Let them work their land as they have always done, but provide for the security and care of a few buildings for future generations to enjoy, learn and remember the old days.

Then we come full circle to money and priorities within state and federal budgets.

lovlyperson
07-27-2004, 10:18 AM
There is just the problem,that many People doesn't like the Trouble around there's,when you find a Ghosttown.
the only you can do,may be talking in the County-Side,whit old people for exemple about there's Childhood,to get some Answers.--?

lovlyperson
07-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Oh,there is a Forum in United Kingdom:www.Funny.co.uk
go to Forum,register and make a "Topic" in General Discussion.
There are a lot of People who could have a Idea,or have been in Us and know somethings,that could help you.