PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite ARIZONA Ghost Towns

Ryan Hill
08-04-2004, 03:53 AM
Hey guys.
On October 24th I leave the UK and fly to Phoenix! As part of this two week vacation I'll be visiting the Grand Canyon (of course!), Momument Valley in Utah, Tombstone, Roswell in New Mexico and over the border in Mexico. But who wouldn't visit the Arizona region without checking out the GHOST TOWNS!!! :D
Coz most of you guys are veteran GT explorers and have most liekly been to AZ loads on times I would like to hear your AZ GT recomendations and your favourites in the region.

Thanks so much!

IAMBUZMAN
08-11-2004, 11:44 AM
I am about to embark on some ghost town adventures. I will keep you posted on what I discover.

Coach Bodie
08-12-2004, 10:10 AM
1) Tombstone...so much to see..a little touristy, but worth the visit!!!
--outside of Tombstone, I would recommend an excursion to Bisbee and then onto Texas John Slaughter's Ranch outside of Douglas, AZ...a few of my pals crossed the border into Agua Prieta and had a good time!!!

2)Oatman...loved it...Right on route 66...great feel!!!

3)Jerome...near Sedona...quite artsy, but enjoyed it none the less!!!

4)New Mexico...Coulmbus w/a trip to Palomas, Mexico was great, the Animas Valley/Shakespeare has it's own beauty and Lincoln County/Fort Sumner take you to Bily the Kid!!!

http://www.clix.to/coachbodie

Ghostdancer
08-13-2004, 05:18 AM
Southern Arizona...

Arivaca - South of Tucson. A historic old settlement dating back 150 years or so.

Tubac - Once an old Spanish Persideo; lots of shops and eateries. Busy on weekends though.

Dos Cabezas - On highway going southeast from Wilcox. Old mining community with some people still living there.

Ryan Hill
08-13-2004, 08:43 AM
Thank you both, I'll make note to visit each of the places you've mentioned!

:)

Ghostdancer
08-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Glad to be of help Ryan; the weather should be pretty good at that time. :)

Ryan Hill
08-14-2004, 03:20 AM
That's good to hear. I'm looking forward to visiting Arizona, and I'll be spending some time sorting out routes and planning things to see over the coming weeks.

Thanks again!

Goat
10-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Ryan, if you're going to go to Oatman, you might want to check out the Cerbat and Chloride areas around Kingman. I used to live in Kingman, and have explored the area (4wd) pretty well.

Ryan Hill
10-23-2004, 04:23 AM
I'll keep that in mind Goat. Thank you all for your responses, I'm very appreciative.

This time 2moro, I'll be on a Jet to Phoenix!! I can't wait!!

See you all in 2 weeks.

:)

old judge
10-23-2004, 05:53 AM
If you have Varney's "Arizona Ghost Towns and Mining Camps", you probably wouldn't be asking.. If you don't, I recommend it highly. I'd send you mine, but loaned it out and don't have it handy. I expect it's a l0 - 15 dollar deal. OJ