PDA

View Full Version : Ophir, Utah status

Brigliadore
09-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Hi,

I am thinking of making a trip down to Ophir, Utah as I hear it is a great semi ghost town to visit. The only problem is I am also hearing that resently they started tearing down the old buildings there and building new modern looking ones. I have also heard that a new mining operation is now going on, and that the locals are very hostle to any "outsiders" who may want to visit and look around. Anyone been to Ophir recently (like this year)? Are the stories of the changes in Ophir true? Its a bit of a drive for me to visit so I dont want to waste my time if the cool old stuff is gone and the locals only want to be rude. Thanks

ghost_town_huntress
09-06-2004, 11:57 PM
I was in Ophir about a year and a half ago; it's a very cute little semi-ghost. There are still a lot of original structures left but from what I've heard the locals are pretty grumpy about people being on their property, though I didn't have any experiences with any of them (I went in the dead of winter, mind you). The only mine I saw right off hand there (though I know there are lots) was sealed with HUGE metal doors and graffitied on. There are other ghost towns in the area which have been taken over by mining operations and quarries however, i.e. Mercur and Topliff. Not worth the drive right now; they're not opening back up anytime soon. Ophir is worth visiting however, though I did hear last month that they did recently have some mudslides and I haven't been back recently to check out the damage. If I do get back over there any time soon I'll let you know. It's only an hour's drive from my house.

Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

one_bad_rover
09-07-2004, 07:19 AM
Ohpir is mostly populated. There are no buildings that you can wander on your own unless you get back into the hills towards Jacob City. The people arent too bad if you go and talk to them first. What they do get upset about is if they find you poking about around their property. There is a "cash" store that is open 12-5 or so M-F. Go in and chat with the guy in there. Either that or you can email Julie @ Julieg@Fps-Gold.com . Her and her family own the Jacob City site and alot of the other surrounding mine areas. They are very active in preserving the structures and mines that are left.

ghost_town_huntress
09-07-2004, 11:25 PM
I wish I would have known about that cash store when I was there! Now I need to go back! Thanks for clarifying some information too; I've only been to Ophir once and don't know much about that certain area.

Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Ghosttown Bob
09-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Whenever I have stopped by Ophir I have always stopped in at the store first and talked with the guy in there. He has always given good advice on who to see and what not to do while in town. They don't mind visitors, but what they hate are bottle hunters or anyone they think may make damage to home or property. You wouldn't believe some of the stories he has told of people coming in and thinking that they can haul off peoples personal property as "souvenirs"

one_bad_rover
10-06-2004, 11:25 AM
Hey all--
Ophir.. as of last Wednesday..
http://www.goldrushexpeditions.com/
link is right at the top under the "New Pics this month"

David A. Wright
10-07-2004, 09:49 PM
Looks like a neat place. Beautiful autumn foliage. Thanks for sharing the photos.

ghamilton
10-08-2004, 05:45 PM
I started visiting Ophir area about 1969.The stuff sitting around was mindboggleling.At that time I only noticed one or two houses being occupied.A guy with me took a few things from the city hall bldg,like the sacrement cloth.Evidently LDS mtgs had been held there in the previous years.The big mine on the right looked alot different then.Mine cars were laying around for the taking.Everytime I went back,it was obvious that massive looting was taking place.I went there once in71,I think and an old man followed us around till we left.Don't blame him.Mercur used to be a great place to visit.No more ,thanks to Barrick.Visit their visitor center,if it still is opened.That was a big town at one time.When I first saw it in 69,there were massive mill ruins,home ruins,and artifacts galore.Took a lot of pictures.I even took the back road in from Cedar Valley that was appearantly once a railroad bed.Barely got through in a Corvair.Ophir is a beautiful place.All should see it.Fall is the best time,after the first frost,so the cooties are less deadly.

cheever
10-18-2004, 06:37 AM
Just out of curiosity do you still have the pictures that you took of Mercur? I worked up there for a summer helping with the reclamation and have always wondered what it looked like before barrick destroyed it.

I started visiting Ophir area about 1969.The stuff sitting around was mindboggleling.At that time I only noticed one or two houses being occupied.A guy with me took a few things from the city hall bldg,like the sacrement cloth.Evidently LDS mtgs had been held there in the previous years.The big mine on the right looked alot different then.Mine cars were laying around for the taking.Everytime I went back,it was obvious that massive looting was taking place.I went there once in71,I think and an old man followed us around till we left.Don't blame him.Mercur used to be a great place to visit.No more ,thanks to Barrick.Visit their visitor center,if it still is opened.That was a big town at one time.When I first saw it in 69,there were massive mill ruins,home ruins,and artifacts galore.Took a lot of pictures.I even took the back road in from Cedar Valley that was appearantly once a railroad bed.Barely got through in a Corvair.Ophir is a beautiful place.All should see it.Fall is the best time,after the first frost,so the cooties are less deadly.

ghamilton
10-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Somewhere I have a bunch of prints and some slides too.A bunch of old ophir shots too,showing the big mine entrance with the two level tracks.Went quite a way back in that one when I was young and REAL stupid.Same year I went down a ways into a mine at Mercur that later killed two people.