PDA

View Full Version : Burke and Gem Idaho

thomasd
09-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had much information on Burke and Gem Idaho as far as camping goes. I was wanting to go camping with my dad and brother in the area, but I don't know if there is anywhere nearby to camp or if I can camp in the ghost towns themselves. Sorry I am not familiar with the area at all. If you know of any campsites or hike in sites along Canyon Creek, please post a reply.

Thanks

danspeedway
04-09-2005, 06:40 PM
I have been to burke alot teaching my wife to fly fish on the creek nearthe hecla mine building.I think that most of the pepole there dont own the homes they live in.may be squaters.if you go past burke to the power sub station and cross the creek by the new bridge and hike all the way to montana if you want.dont eat the fish out of the creek because of the lead content.go up higher past the mines and they are ok.if you have any other questions write to danspeedway@yahoo.com

idahowayne
07-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Where do you get this bull ? There are 25 familes in Gem and Burke,and most own their own homes. The familes that don't own are legal renters.A few years back a Burke resident did enter a vacant building that was not his and did jail time for it.

Johnnie
01-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had much information on Burke and Gem Idaho as far as camping goes. I was wanting to go camping with my dad and brother in the area, but I don't know if there is anywhere nearby to camp or if I can camp in the ghost towns themselves. Sorry I am not familiar with the area at all. If you know of any campsites or hike in sites along Canyon Creek, please post a reply.

ThanksWe wonded if this adventure to Idaho, ghost towns was worth your time.

What was the best ghost town you visited in your opinion?

And did you get to Murray, Idaho which is also in that same area as Gem, and Burke.

J & S

Johnnie
02-22-2006, 09:01 AM

Thanks
Thomasd, Have you made it any of the ghost towns you were asking about ???

Johnnie & Sheila

DirtyDog
03-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Neither Gem nor Burke is a GT. Don't know where that bad info came from. I looked at property to buy at both towns. Canyon is narrow and steep-sunlight arrives around 11AM and sets about 2PM. I would guess there's 150 homes in the area and very few vacant ones. The true ghost towns are NE of here near Murray, Eagle and Prichard. Wyatt Earp and his brothers owned a saloon in Eagle.

Paladin
03-07-2008, 04:36 AM
If you keep on the road thru Burke you'll come to Lower Glidden Lake. Good trout fishing. You won't be able to get in there until July or so due to snowpack...