PDA

View Full Version : Hanton City, RI

Some Guy
09-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Anyone ever venture forth to this location?

I got the directions off this site, but couldn't find a trace of the area in the pics! I followed the road 'till about there it says City in 'Hanton City Trail' on the below map, where a guy in a truck was sitting there reading and told me it was all private property and I couldn't walk around and look for any cellar holes . . so, did I go too far? Not far enough? Just before that was a clearing, as per the directions with a hill to the left and another to the right behind a gate, neither leading to the area. Oh well . . maybe I'll try again sometime and hope that guy doesn't notice it's me again . . wonder what he was doing sitting way out in the woods reading a magazine anyway . .

The map:
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=2&s=12&x=364&y=5805&z=19&w=1

cueballRI
10-24-2004, 08:02 AM
I have been to hanton city years ago. It is a bunch of stone cellar holes along a dirt road. I used to go target shooting in the area. I heard it became private property and havent been there in years. A friend of mine had told me about it years ago, unfortunately he is now deceased. The story he told me was that the residents were loyal to the king of England during the revolution and were forced to stay in their town. After the war they relocated to I believe new hampshire or maybe vermont. I looked on a map and there is a Hanton city in one of thoses 2 states. You have to go beyond the claring to find the foundations. The clearing is where we used to shoot.

old judge
10-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Hey Guy, If you go to google and try "Smithfield cemetery 62" there is a site with good photos, allegedly of the cemetery/burial site at Hanton City. Those photos were taken in 2004 by historian/geneologist Beth Hurd. Her e-mail is "beth.hurd @ cox.net". Your terraserver shows a cemetery on the hanton city trail just off the highway and another a little distance west. This area is pretty well viewed on recent digitalglobe aerials on terraserver. With that and some info from Ms. Hurd, you can probably locate the cemetery. Sounds to me like you passed it. Anyway, some states have laws requiring access to burial sites, particularly by descendants. Might call yourself Smith if you see that guy in the pickup. Good Luck. Old Judge

dremoto
09-02-2008, 05:51 AM
I believe the burial site and Hanton City are being confused here. The historical cemetary is easily reached from RI Rt 7 by Lydia Ann Rd. Watch for it, it isnt marked. Hanton City Trail is a long trail that eventually goes all the way to just south of the Woonsocket Res. Hanton City remains itself lie north west of the cemetary location and are still accessable. I spent quite a few hours over the past month trying to sort this one out trekking around up there :D Good luck to those who check it out.