PDA

View Full Version : "Just as important as getting there"

Johnnie
10-14-2004, 05:36 AM
We were thinking what catagory this information falls under and we though that "Just Getting There" was the right one to chose for our tips while out exploring, And we thought it might be valuable to the rest of you fellow ghowners.

While we were surffing the web we came across this web site and it is called "Weather Bug" check it the out it is "free" this is the the full web site wwwweatherbug.com so if you are "out and about" exploring these ghosttowns as we all know the current weather is important to any of us that are out in these rural areas.

I can remember when we visited the ghost town of Gold Point back in the early 1960s we rolled in to the mining camp 3:00 pm and out no where we were hit by a heavy downpore that only lasted about 15min. and then moved on to the next valley, But still caught us off guard.

So all you of you that go out exploring let someone know where you are going and when you are expected back and take your cell phones or 2 way radios or (C Bs) and your "Lap tops" so you can get help if a emergency arises.

Back in the early days when we were out exploring we always turned to channel (9) on our (C Bs) for emergecys.

Getting back to this great web site of (Weather Bug) it will give the latest weather up date for any weather that has a (zip code) as we all know some of these remote aeras don't have a (ZC) so you then you just click on a near by town that does have (Zip Code) and it will give you a satellite dopper view of that local aera or that part of the state, Or you can turn to the satelite view of the whole U. S. and the wather for next week is also avaiable It also give the wind chill the "Low's" and "high's" for several days, and what direction the wind is coming from, And at what speed. plus much, much, more, Very valuable tool to all of us who like to travel the back roads. Let us know on the bulletin board what all of think of this great web site that all of us, in the past years would have had in our 4wd's while out exploring.

From the desk of Johnnie & Sheila
old west Researchers, & Historians

Johnnie
08-04-2006, 08:42 AM
We were thinking what catagory this information falls under and we though that "Just Getting There" was the right one to chose for our tips while out exploring, And we thought it might be valuable to the rest of you fellow ghowners.

While we were surffing the web we came across this web site and it is called "Weather Bug" check it the out it is "free" this is the the full web site wwwweatherbug.com so if you are "out and about" exploring these ghosttowns as we all know the current weather is important to any of us that are out in these rural areas.

I can remember when we visited the ghost town of Gold Point back in the early 1960s we rolled in to the mining camp 3:00 pm and out no where we were hit by a heavy downpore that only lasted about 15min. and then moved on to the next valley, But still caught us off guard.

So all you of you that go out exploring let someone know where you are going and when you are expected back and take your cell phones or 2 way radios or (C Bs) and your "Lap tops" so you can get help if a emergency arises.

Back in the early days when we were out exploring we allways turned to channel (9) on our (C Bs) for emergecys.

Getting back to this great web site of (Weather Bug) it will give the latest weather up date for any weather that has a (zip code) as we all know some of these remote aeras don't have a (ZC) so you then you just click on a near by town that does have (Zip Code) and it will give you a satelite dopper view of that local aera or that part of the state, Or you can turn to the satelite view of the whole U. S. and the wather for next week is also avaiable It also give the wind chill the "Low's" and "high's" for several days, and what direction the wind is coming from, And at what speed. plus much, much, more, Very valuable tool to all of us who like to travel the back roads. Let us know on the bulletin board what all of think of this great web site that all of us, in the past years would have had in our 4wd's while out exploring.

From the desk of Johnnie & SheilaHistorians

We thought it was paramount to repost our important information from a couple years ago due to the recent post on "Flash Flooding" warnings.

Johnnie & Sheila

old judge
08-04-2006, 10:44 AM
And so folks can just click on it, it's www.weatherbug.com (http://www.weatherbug.com) OJ

GaryB
08-04-2006, 01:24 PM
I have Weather Bug, but I also have weather service on my cell phone :D

It's come in handy a few times.

LauraA
08-05-2006, 08:02 AM
There's also an outfit called "SmarterChild" I add the name SmarterChild to my buddy list on AOL and then can send it an instant message asking for a weather report and forecast for any area in the country. I guess anyone can use it, if you've got a buddy list or instant messaging on your ISP. The program will also play games, look up information and a few other clever things.
I can't run Weather Bug on my slower than slow dial-up connection, it boots me offline. :(
Here's a link to SmarterChild.

SmarterChild (http://smarterchild.colloquis.com/)

Johnnie
08-05-2006, 12:10 PM
There's also an outfit called "SmarterChild" I add the name SmarterChild to my buddy list on AOL and then can send it an instant message asking for a weather report and forecast for any area in the country. I guess anyone can use it, if you've got a buddy list or instant messaging on your ISP. The program will also play games, look up information and a few other clever things.
I can't run Weather Bug on my slower than slow dial-up connection, it boots me offline. :(
Here's a link to SmarterChild.

SmarterChild (http://smarterchild.colloquis.com/)th

Thanks for link Laura, and to everyone else for their input.

Johnnie & Sheila

Johnnie
08-05-2006, 12:16 PM
And so folks can just click on it, it's www.weatherbug.com (http://www.weatherbug.com) OJ

Thanks O J

Sheila & Johnnie:)

Johnnie
08-05-2006, 12:27 PM
[quote=GaryB]I have Weather Bug, but I also have weather service on my cell phone :D

It's come in handy a few times.
quote]

Thanks! Gary, It is not like the 1950s and 60s when two-way radio or C B was the only way to get stay intouch, with the others about the weather, and road conditions, beyond the next moutain range.

Johnni & Sheila

LauraA
08-12-2006, 04:14 AM
...and sometimes the roads can be very bumpy ;)

modette
08-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Weatherbug stinks...I use:

http://www.wunderground.com

and

http://www.nws.noaa.gov

Both are FREE

LauraA
08-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Weather reporting programs are notorious for loading your computer down with spy programs, unwanted pop-ups and other annoying crap. After Googling weather programs and spyware :eek:
and finally eliminating all the junk from my computer, I'm going to do a weather check the old fashioned way...I'll look out the window and if my old bones ache, it's gonna rain. :rolleyes:

weather programs and spyware - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=weather+programs+and+spyware)

modette
08-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Weather reporting programs are notorious for loading your computer down with spy programs, unwanted pop-ups and other annoying crap. After Googling weather programs and spyware :eek:
and finally eliminating all the junk from my computer, I'm going to do a weather check the old fashioned way...I'll look out the window and if my old bones ache, it's gonna rain. :rolleyes:

weather programs and spyware - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=weather+programs+and+spyware)

Never Download a program that is FREE, usually there is a catch, and the catch is spyware so they can advertise things to you. Slows down your computer, hard to uninstall, and another way to hack into someones computer.

Although looking out of the window is good, the two sites I posted are free to use and does not mean you have to install anything on your PC. They seem to be better then the weather channel.

Johnnie
02-14-2008, 08:47 AM
We thought it was paramount to repost our important information from a couple years ago due to the recent post on "Flash Flooding" warnings.

Johnnie & Sheila

Here is some good information on (page 1) from us and others on the bulletin board from the archives, for our fellow ghosttowners, who can't wait till summer for their backroad adventures.

Have fun out in the back roads, but go prepared.:cool:

Johnnie & Sheila

LauraA
02-14-2008, 09:07 AM
You're right about that Johnnie & Sheila, Even if it's not raining where you are, it could be raining somewhere "upriver". Flash flooding is a major concern where we are.
This used to be one of our favorite crossings of Tonto Creek, no more crossing here 'til summer I'm afraid. :(