PDA

View Full Version : "Treasure Hunting"

Johnnie
10-18-2004, 06:19 AM
Treasure hunting is a great hobby for many people, some of us look for treasures in local thrift stores and another a very popular pass time of treasure hunting is at "yard sales" I have to admitt i have found many treasures at all these places. and i know many of my friends have also.

Yes! We were some of these early day ghost town adventurers that love to poke around these old mining towns but we always left them as we found them, undisturb and only took 8mm film and photographs from these old mining sites of the old west and really did not even give it a second thought that any one else would either, But that was back in the in early days of ghost town exploring, it would take a lot of time on this posting to tell you all the items that were out there for the takeing, but it was just not us.

But the thing that is the most disturbing is the "dummies" that have no regard for history and vandelize and use the these treasures for firewood for their campfires. We know the weather is contributing to some of the decline of these old mining towns, and we can't police them all, but with this web site we can sure make furture generations realize how important these old west treasures are to our early history of the American West.

There is been a lot a posting lately about what is legal and what is not. I know a lot has change since we were out ghosttowning and pokeing around these old buildings so it would be comforting to know that our younger newcomers on ghost towns. Please check the laws on tresspassing on private land and don't take the trail that some have, And just go plowing through lock gates like some of the teenage generation brag about on their posting on the bulletin board.

Should we have a special section just devoted to the related subject of "Treasure Hunting" I know we find interesting as many others do, and not listed under "other" because it appears that (Treasure Hunting" is a subject that pops up a lot lately and is somewhat related to exploring out in these old mining town sites. What do rest of you think???

Happy ghosttowning
Johnnie and Sheila

Johnnie
10-20-2004, 05:52 AM
We just wanted to add some more views on this subject of pokeing around these old historicals sites and the "laws" pertaining to this hobby. we know that the laws in the city are very restricted to trespassing, We have notice that there has been some posting of the younger genaration going to sites in the city and have even posted, and incourage others to go through lock gates and and to go into deserted buildings and commenteing how scared they got. Our comment is that they should be more scared of getting caught for tresspassing instead of being scared of ghosts and the paranormal.

We think it would be valuable to many of us what are newest and up to date laws on what (B L M ) land still open, And the all the latest restrictions.

When we were out in the old mining town of Providence, and other old mining sites in that aera we we stop to talk with the Forest Ranger that was out patroling the aera, and he was telling us that the law was going to change after the first of that year, and with the new law it would make the land we out exploring off limits, That was around 15 years ago, so what we are wondering should there be just a section devoted to the laws pertaining to the laws governing the hobby of (Tresureing Hunting) and exploring these old mining sites what (B L M) land and old mining sites are still open to the public. We are not sure ourselves what is still legal out in these remote area's.

Johnnie & Sheila
fellow ghosttowners

Flatiron
03-11-2005, 04:15 AM
Johnnie............I agree with you 100%. The old mining town of Aurora, Nev. was decimated in the 50-70's by people tearing down the remaining buildings for their brick and old lumber. There's not a whole lot left there now, and I read somewhere that another tombstone was stolen from the cemetery,recently. It amazes me that these morons have no respect for our past history, and desecrate shrines and buildings. I guess thats way some of these places have become state parks. At least there's a little control over that idiot mentality. OK, now I feel better..............

Johnnie
03-11-2005, 06:32 AM
Johnnie............I agree with you 100%. The old mining town of Aurora, Nev. was decimated in the 50-70's by people tearing down the remaining buildings for their brick and old lumber. There's not a whole lot left there now, and I read somewhere that another tombstone was stolen from the cemetery,recently. It amazes me that these morons have no respect for our past history, and desecrate shrines and buildings. I guess thats way some of these places have become state parks. At least there's a little control over that idiot mentality. OK, now I feel better..............
Thanks Flatiron, for your opinion and for posting my old comments that i forgot that was in the archives, It is so true we can't police them all, But all of us that want to perserve these "Gems" of the american west for future generations to enjoy we have to work fast, As we all know even the remote historical sites are not overlook by vandals but there is more of us that "care" than don't, so we are sure we are going to win in the longrun.

Your fellow ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

GaryB
03-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Back in the late 70's my parents neighbor was in a local Land Cruiser club that took down some small building in Delemar so one of the members could put the wood from it in his house for decoration. My Dad, who's father worked Delamar some, ripped the guy a new one. My Dad said they were friendly towards each other before that, but he dealt little with him afterwards, especially since the guy couldn't understand "what the big deal" was

Taking an ore sample or small items similiar is one thing, but taking buildings and other historical monuments is another.