PDA

View Full Version : Mina, Nevada

jalchin
10-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Hello, there. My name is Jon Alchin and I lived in Mina, Nevada from 1976 to 1981. I went to school in Hawthorne. I was just wondering what Mina is like today as it has been 24 years since I have seen it! I now live in Florida but have thought about doing a Nevada exploration tour to see what had changed over the years. When I last saw Mina, my stepfather Patrick Marlett had sold his gold mine on Mount Pilot and Mina had about 350 residents.

Any info would be appreciated!

Jon

David A. Wright
10-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Mina went downhill for a while, but seems to be holding its own pretty good now. The town has cleaned itself up a bit, the cafe always has trucks parked outside. The railroad tracks were pulled out years ago and only are in use to and through the ammunitions depot in Hawthorne.

David A. Wright
10-22-2004, 07:20 PM
I posted two photos on this sight in December of last year of Mina.
http://forums.ghosttowns.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2

http://forums.ghosttowns.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1

old judge
12-10-2004, 04:38 PM
Jon: Here are some pics from September, 2004, the bride and I shot on one of our forays to Reno. Old Judge and his Lovely Bride

Sally
07-03-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm new to Mina,but I love this little town. Most everyone is older. I don't believe we have much over a hundred people. People are moving in. Not much for sale anymore. June 10th was Mina's 100th birthday. I was told that about 400 people attended. Who do you remember from Mina? Maybe I can let you know if their still here.

Beatty
08-08-2006, 12:11 PM
The population of Mina, Nevada as of 2005 is 276.

smallfry
01-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi I was reading everyones post on mina nevada, my grandfather
live there back in the late 50s and died in 1961, my grand father and parents lived out there as well and was wondering if the rockhouse was still there
my grandfather was known as Pegleg Ford and there was a family named Eddy I think Bob Edding stills lives there...

sbruce
02-04-2008, 04:16 PM
One thing I noticed last time I was in Mina is that the old Southern Pacific railroad barn was pulled down. Evidently in 2001 or 2002 Southern Pacific (Union Pacific ? - can't keep up with these corporations!) declared the building unsafe and tore it down, leaving a huge pile of wood stacked up by the road. I guess the RR company was afraid of lawsuits in case anyone got hurt in the old building and did not want to stump for insurance. Seems pretty typical to the continuing damage done to America's history and heritage.

jim helmes
04-28-2009, 04:05 PM
live there back in the late 50s and died in 1961, my grand father and parents lived out there as well and was wondering if the rockhouse was still there
my grandfather was known as Pegleg Ford and there was a family named Eddy I think Bob Edding stills lives there...
I used to live in mina,nv in the arly 50's.Knew pegleg well ,He was a friend of my step father.(boo. gger red miller).my brothr and I used to go out to his place often.I reme,ber playing in his old truck. Pegleg had a pretty mean old dog that went with him everywhere he went.my brother and I were just about the only ones that could go near the truck whn th dog was in it...Jim helmes(miller)

Vulture
05-06-2009, 02:17 PM

Hi Smallfry,
Welcome. I really enjoyed your albums. Reminded me of my own childhood growing up on my Grandfathers ranch east of Tucson. It must be great to be able to visit Peg Leg's old place & have many old photo's too, (my Grandad's place is now a sub division.) Very few kids today will know an experience like that.

Thanks for taking the time to post those great albums.

<

Albin
05-07-2009, 03:35 AM
Not the best pics in the world, but these are some of the pics we took as we went through Mina last summer from Beatty to the Black Rock Desert:

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_07/07-18-08-13-33-08_IMG_1035_Al.JPG_s.jpg

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_07/07-18-08-13-33-12_IMG_1036_Al.JPG_s.jpg

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_07/07-18-08-13-33-18_IMG_1038_Al.JPG_s.jpg

David A. Wright
05-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Those pix appear to be taken at Sodaville, a few miles south of Mina and a ghost town in its own right.

GaryB
05-08-2009, 08:22 AM
I agree, that's Sodaville. Mina is slightly larger and more inhabited. Heck, they even have a true Mom and Pop fast food joint. Which is **** good IMO.

IIRC Mina has a huge defunct rail yard on the east side of US95. Most all the houses are on the west side. But I get Mina mixed up with Luning sometimes too. :(

Albin
05-08-2009, 09:04 AM
I agree, that's Sodaville. Mina is slightly larger and more inhabited. Heck, they even have a true Mom and Pop fast food joint. Which is **** good IMO.

IIRC Mina has a huge defunct rail yard on the east side of US95. Most all the houses are on the west side. But I get Mina mixed up with Luning sometimes too. :(

That's where I thought we took these pics at. But I was driving and my son was supposed to be the "photographer"; sometimes he acted as if I was asking him to dig a 200' ditch every time I asked him to take pics. 13 year olds: can't stand'em and you can't kill'em!

:D

sbruce
06-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Near-ghosts like Mina Nevada present us ghost towners with something of a dilemma: we are a variety of tourist certainly of the more adventurous type, and tend to seek out total ghosts with no inhabitants, usually very remote, but a near-ghost like Mina is a special case along a busy highway, and it is inevitable that all sorts of tourists will stop for gas, or to use the bar, buy a soft drink, etc. So should a true ghost towner stop in Mina? Yes, of course and here is why:

Mina is an interesting near-ghost because it is obviously inhabited, but with such a small population there are seldom any signs of life, yet it has a charm and curiosity value all its own. For example, Mina still had an "assayer's office and property agent" last time I stopped by (2003) and patented properties near Mina occasionally appear for sale on ebay.

The last time I stopped at Mina was about five years ago, stopped at the local bar at about 9pm on route 95. The three or four local people in the Mina bar were certainly shall we say colorful, and friendly - especially if you were buying! - and I enjoyed jawing with 'em. Everyone in the Mina bar was over 50 yrs in age, and one of the fellows said he was from "Surbeek". It took me a few turns of the "Sur Beek" phrase to realize that "Surbeek" was this old timer's manner of saying "Silver Peak" when he had had a few too many.

At the time (2003?) Mr 'Surbeek' was saying that Silver Peak had a more active community than Mina - probably an easy feat by comparison - and an active modern mine with an involved community. With a brief Internet search it appears that Silver Peak has a modern lithium mining operation there, probably supporting the Silver Peak community.

The real point of this post is to urge ghost towners to STOP, spend some time, and interact with local communities in the well-travelled, easily-accessed near-ghosts whenever possible. I am always pleasantly surprised at how friendly people are who reside in these semi-ghosts, and most of them are very pleased when we take an interest in the history and well being of their community: Austin Nevada, Manhattan, Mina and Goldfield spring easily to mind.

As posted in the "Dangerous ghost towns" thread of course there are possibly areas where illicit activities (like drug preparation?) are taking place, or the locals do not want strangers around. And sometimes we must learn the hard way by getting run off... and that is the experience we want to avoid most. But easily accessible near-ghosts such as Mina - or active NG communities where mining operations or historic restoration/preservation are being carried out - are safe to visit and the community will benefit even with brief tourist stops.

STOP... LOOK... and Listen... we will all be surprised at what we learn if we just had the time to stop and interact on the well travelled routes. And maybe we have to MAKE the time.

I will be taking a trip down 95 to Goldfield soon to see Angie and Steve after an extended absence (five years!) and hope to have plenty of pics and info to post later..!
regards, steve :)

GaryB
06-30-2009, 06:50 AM
A co-worker's parents lived in Silver Peak, as did he for some time till he started going to college here. Word is the mine there is set to shut down this winter or next spring. Both his parents were laid off (his dad BTW was the local deputy too) and they moved to Hawthorne. So it's only a matter of time before the 100 or so people of Silver Peak leave as well I guess.

jalchin
08-15-2009, 06:33 AM

Well, I finally made it back to Mina after 28 years! I stopped in front of Sue's Motel which was no longer open and took some pictures of it as well as the restaurant across the street. My mother worked at Sue's Motel in the late 70's early 80's for Johnie Garrison. he was a good guy, always quick with a smile. He used to be a Sheriff in Mina. I believe he died some time ago. My family lived behind the motel for a while and then later moved next to Bobby Eddy's stables. I drove past his restaurant but it was closed (this was August 08.) I plan to go there next time and see him and Pam. I don't know if they will remember me as I was only 14 years old the last time they saw me! I can't wait to see them again.

whiles child
05-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Wow never thought mina would be a place so talked about..Love it..I lived in mina on and off since the day i was born left in 1983. Knew the eddys very well brother was named after one of them. My daddy was very well known and lived there last 45 yrs of his life..Always wonder who is still out there?