PDA

View Full Version : Yes! there was a "Gold Rush" to Massachuetts in 1875

Johnnie
11-18-2004, 05:46 AM
Yes! Its seems hard to believe, But it is true as reported in the Arizona Miner Febuary 12, 1875 but was orignally reported by a corrasondent from the New York Tribune dated Dec. 30, 1875.

We have noticed that there has been a few new ghost town buffs posting on the Bulletin board from the East Coast. and we thought these newbies might be interested in this story
from their neck of the woods. We posted this story on the bulletin board back a couple years ago. Most of the ghost towns, and gold mines, we all read about and visit are all out west and to hear of "Gold Rush" to the East Coast is
strange to say the least.

We were going to repost our old story from a couple years ago, but we don't have the time
today, so if you go to the top of the page and click on search and write in Gold Rush to Massachuetts in 1875 you can find it in the ghost town Bulletin Board Archives, The original story is at the bottom of the page.

We wondered if any one has done any research on the gold mining in and around Essex, County
Massachuetts, since we lasted posted this story, maybe someone in Essex, County would let the rest of us know, And was 1875 the only year that this "Gold Rush" to Essex County Massachuetts made the headlines of of the New York Tribune???

From the dest of Johnnie & Sheila
Old west researchers Historians

Johnnie
11-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Many thanks to Rawk Crawlin for your knowledge and expertise on updateing our old posting on this very interesting story on the "Big Gold Rush to Exsses County Massachuetts". You can read the orig.story that Rawk Crawlin put on the opening page (land-types usages and access privileges) forum catagory.

Your Fellow Ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

jackter
01-01-2006, 02:25 PM
In 1878 silver was discovered in a large field off Scotland Road. This discovery made money for those who sold their land and those who became involved in what was known as the "Chipman Silver Mine." The mine produced $500,000.00 worth of silver and $100,000.00 in dividends. The mine closed in 1925.There is no mining going on now as far as I can tell.I live near there and drive by that area once in a while and it is farm land and private homes.There are a number of faults in that area that are worrysome to some people because of earthquake activity in the past.The local library has books with pictures of the mine buildings and the whole scoop on this mine but I cant check them out they were for reference only.Hope this helps.The mine was located south of Scotland Rd. in Newbury Ma.There was probably more money made in the sales of property around where the silver was found than what was actually produced from the mine.There is no ghost town there.Just a lot of cows grazing,and private homes on a ridge by the road.The publicity of the silver being found was also to serve the interest of the people trying to make a buck out of selling their property.

Johnnie
01-04-2006, 10:47 AM
In 1878 silver was discovered in a large field off Scotland Road. This discovery made money for those who sold their land and those who became involved in what was known as the "Chipman Silver Mine." The mine produced $500,000.00 worth of silver and $100,000.00 in dividends. The mine closed in 1925.There is no mining going on now as far as I can tell.I live near there and drive by that area once in a while and it is farm land and private homes.There are a number of faults in that area that are worrysome to some people because of earthquake activity in the past.The local library has books with pictures of the mine buildings and the whole scoop on this mine but I cant check them out they were for reference only.Hope this helps.The mine was located south of Scotland Rd. in Newbury Ma.There was probably more money made in the sales of property around where the silver was found than what was actually produced from the mine.There is no ghost town there.Just a lot of cows grazing,and private homes on a ridge by the road.The publicity of the silver being found was also to serve the interest of the people trying to make a buck out of selling their property.

Thanks for the great history lesson on this "Gold Rush" to east coast, very interesting.

Johnnie & Sheila