PDA

View Full Version : Silver City Idaho Might Have Neighboring Unheard of ghost towns

Johnnie
11-24-2004, 08:19 AM
Could the famouse Silver City, Idaho have some unheard of, lost neighbors? When my wife and I were looking at the postings and all the people that plan to visit Silver City, might check out these towns, we found on our old maps dated 1895 in our archives, Just north of Silver City, there was a town named Sinker on Sinker Creek, which we wondered for a moment, how did this town get its name? And by the way we cound not find it listed anywhere else, and then there was a town by the name Oreana, S/E of Silver City.

The towns of Murphy, and Reynolds, were listed but many miles north but still old historical town apparently, And then on these old maps we (did not) find the ones listed on (our) ghost town web-site, So most likely sprouted up after the turn of the century, Some of these towns that showed up years later, were Ruby City, Fairview, Wagontown, and some others.

And then there was a community by the name of Dairy south west of Silver City, and that site was probably a diary town, and there was a town site N/W of the famouse the Silver boom town on this old map up by cow lake by the name Rockview.

Well you adventures that plan a trip to Silver City area might do some more research and might be lucky enough to find a unheard of old mining sites let the rest of us know if any you guys find any new ghost towns.

Happy ghost town hunting
Your fellow ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

dvsww2
11-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Johnnie, sounds like an interesting map you have. Murphy is now the Owyhee County seat and the old part of town is somewhat interesting. It was as far as Col. Dewey's planned railroad to Silver City. There is a cemetary and school house at Reynolds. It's been a lot of years since I've been there, but used to go with some family friends each memorial day to tend the graves of their relatives. There is also a cemetary at Fairview and probably by this time only the foundation of the mill. Ruby City and Wagontown are gone. Oreana is still there with quite a few ranches still operating. The store was closed and for sale and farther up the road is the old school, now community hall and the Gem is the Catholic Church in a really neat stone building that was once a saloon and general store. Oreana was the ranching/farming area that provided food for the miners. We know that David Shirk and his men drove a heard of cattle from Texas to Oreana and the cattle were sold on the hoof to the butcher in Silver City at a good price. There is a narrative, the Cattle Drives of David Shirk written about the drives but the book is very rare. I read it long ago and about had to sign with blood to borrow a copy on inter-library loan. Would be intersesting to see the map.

ghost_town_huntress
11-29-2004, 11:54 PM
The only one of these towns I'd ever heard of (besides, of course, Silver City and Murphy) is Ruby City, because the historic Idaho Hotel that is now in Silver City was originally built in Ruby City.

Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Johnnie
11-30-2004, 05:36 AM
Thanks to all of you fellow ghosttowners, And for their Input and up to date information, We are sure that this will help our fellow ghosttowner who play a trip into the area. Just maybe there is still some foundations or cabins still intact.

When we learn how to post pictures will will post a copy of this old map for the rest of you adventures, But we have an even an older maps, of all the western states. As I remember they were all dated 1880s and shows all the old stage stops, and the route they took through the area, A great tool for the old stage robbers of the old west, Do you think they may have had one of these's maps folded up in their vest pocket? We wouldn't be supprised.

Your fellow ghosttowner
Johnnie & Sheila

David A. Wright
12-06-2004, 12:21 PM
Don't know if this fits what you're looking for, but no one mentioned Delamar, which is west of Silver City on the road in from Jordan Valley, Oregon. A number of cabins, some still looked to be periodically occupied. My friend and author Alan Patera told me that Capt. DeLamar was involved in this town. Same man who DeLamar, Nevada was named after, and who also was involved in the early days of the Keane Wonder Mine in Death Valley.

dvsww2
12-07-2004, 01:45 PM
I've mentioned before but not in this string about Delamar. the mill is pretty much in ruin. On the cabins some are standing and in most cases are in pretty tough shape. About 10 years ago two sons of a friend were working at the new mine on the backside of Delamar and they lived in one of the cabins. The snow would literally blow Through the cracks in the walls and they ended up wrapping the cabin in black plastic to try to keep the snow out. They finally froze out and moved to Jordan Valley. Reading Johnnie's post I dug out my copy of "Owyhee Trails" by Mike Hanley, Caxton Printers, 1973 and there are several good chapters on Silver City and area and lots of neat photos. Hanley is an excellant historian and old time rancher in the area and his book has a lot of good info on cattle and sheep ranching in the area. some good maps also.

Johnnie
12-08-2004, 05:10 AM
Thanks! "dvsww 2" and David Wright, for the new information and list of books, on that part of Idaho a very interesting area to visit, and explore. We are always interested in that whole area because many parts of N/E Oregon, S/W Idaho, and Nothern Utah, were all the areas that that the famouse "Wild Bunch" roamed, and made the headlines of the Newspapers of the day, We are always looking for new information on this area of the old west and our favorite "outlaws" the "Butch Cassidy Gang" we know they had a friend by the named Matt Waner, that had a ranch in Baker, Oregon and they used it as a home base for their robberies. and we are sure the "Wild Bunch" visited Silver City, and some of these other nearby towns that we have been writing about on the Bullintin Board.

Thanks again
Johnnie & Sheila

docsma
12-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Long time since the last post, but thought I'd comment on Sinker near Silver City. Yes, it's on old maps, but it's not really a town. Sinker was a Post Office (probably a box on a table on the back porch) on the Crocheron Ranch on Sinker Creek near Murphy, Idaho. It was about 15 miles from Silver City. The ranch house was washed out by a flood cause by the failure of a dam on Sinker Creek in the 1940s. The post office served the surrounding area for about 15 yrs, but was never a real town. It was not far from where Highway 78 now crosses Sinker Creek. Sinker Creek was so named, I think, because the water would sink into the porous creek bed and disappear, except for times of major runoff. There was also a story that gold nuggets were so plentiful in the creek bottom that folks would use them for fishing sinkers! Yeah....right! All for what it's worth . . . . . . .

Bentz
01-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Hello, our family is planning on going to Silver City over Memorial Weekend 2007. We heard that the town has some kind of celebration then, so we thought it would be a great time to go. We had three male ancestors come to Silver City in the 1800's as stock raisers for the miners. They are listed in the 1880 census as living on Catherine Creek. They also brought their wives and two of their children are buried in the cemetery. They did return to the east after being in Silver City for several years.
Their names were Hyrum (Hiram) Pixley, Harvey Pixley and George Thompson. We are trying to find out where they lived, if there is a list of people buried in the cemetery and where would be the best places to find out this information;basically any information or ideas where to look would greatly help us ? I heard there are actually several cemeteries around Silver City.
Any help we could get would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you...Bentz Family

gmman
04-16-2007, 02:40 PM
forget it!

danbo
04-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Just went there a couple weeks ago in our off road vehicles.Tried to go up a few trails but still some pretty deep snow drifts so we ended up driving up the main road which would still be dificult right now by normal vehicle.If you would like to see some pictures.Please follow the link.
http://idahosidexsides.s4.bizhat.com/idahosidexsides-ftopic56.html

Ok, God forgive me, but I've got to speak my peace. When you
are playing in the forest or the Owyhee front, you are always
being watched. The Eco-zealots are looking for any reason to
lock all wheeled vehicles out of the areas we love to visit.
A group, who shall remain nameless, (wink) was observed
by-passing the locked gate at the road leading into the Sinker
Tunnel. They were also observed tearing up local "Raparian
Zones". We all love access into these special areas. Because
folks had no respect for these places in the past, many of them
are now locked and cannot be seen at all. When you violate
locked gates and "no tresspassing" orders you are bringing down
heat on the rest of us who are trying to retain the limited
access we still have.

PLEASE...........Know the "tread lightly" publications. Then you
will understand the issues that "tick off" the eco crowd. It is
hard for reasonable people to articulate the need for access,
when the enemies of our recreation, show photos of people
carelessly violating public policy.

We all love these places. We need to be smart or we will all be
locked out.

LauraA
04-19-2007, 01:34 PM
danbo, You're 100% right. Particularly right now, off roading has become a major issue everywhere. There are people out there hugging almost every tree and they've got cameras.:cool:
Ummm by the way, that poser shot you're using as your avatar was taken in your own driveway...right? ;)

gmman
04-19-2007, 02:08 PM
exactly.I'm sure the side of that hill was a paved road that his jeep is proped up on.Oh and by the way every trail we went on was open to what ever could make it through.These were not walking trails they were jeep trails. Which are still open.And we ended up using the main road which I'm pretty sure is still legal to drive on?:confused:

danbo
04-19-2007, 02:48 PM
exactly.I'm sure the side of that hill was a paved road that his jeep is proped up on.Oh and by the way every trail we went on was open to what ever could make it through.These were not walking trails they were jeep trails. Which are still open.And we ended up using the main road which I'm pretty sure is still legal to drive on?:confused:

My avatar was taken on an approved and posted BLM trail.

I wanna be nice, honest I do, in fact I'm gonna be! I know the truth, and others do to. You can tell it anyway you want. I'm not even calling anyone out personally. I'm just sayin....... If we all want to maintain our access, we better be treading lightly.

gmman
04-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Why were you one of those 2 poor jeeps that was sitting road side because you could not go any further.:(Don't worry you could not have made it on the main road either.:D say what you want but we passed a forest service person and they did nothing but wave at us.:D
Oh and do you think your post is helping us or the tree huggers?If you were really concerned you would have pm'ed me on which pic you thought was not appropriate and not double posted my link?Which I have deleated!Heaven forbid I show some nice pictures of the area and the town so we might get a few tourists to visit our state!Oh yea and in what picture does it show where we are that we should not be?:rolleyes:

gmman
04-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Oh and you can't tread much lighter than our rigs with less than 10lbs air in our tires:D

GaryB
04-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Oh and you can't tread much lighter than our rigs with less than 10lbs air in our tires:D

I surely hope that post was in jest, otherwise any further discussion on the subject is a waste of time on everyone's part.

GaryB
04-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Oh yea and in what picture does it show where we are that we should not be?:rolleyes:

Second picture post, 5th and 6th pictures down would be my guess.

GaryB
04-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Ummm by the way, that poser shot you're using as your avatar was taken in your own driveway...right? ;)

Believe it or not, there are numerous BLM trails that cover terrain like that, quite a few in Nevada. Local 4X clubs are working with the BLM on a new OHV area outside Alamo, NV that has some trails that make the Rubicon look like a scenic trail for minivans. Trails where your vehicle getting body damage isn't a potential, but more likely in how much.

http://www.vv4w.org/viewphoto.asp?run_id=562&currPhoto=Run%20from%20the%20left-overs%2006%20053.jpg&month=&year=&fromaction=PHOTOS&currPage=2

LauraA
04-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Believe it or not, there are numerous BLM trails that cover terrain like that, quite a few in Nevada. Local 4X's clubs are working with the BLM on a new OHV area outside Alamo, NV that has some trails that make the Rubicon look like a scenic trail for minivans. Trails where your vehicle getting body damage isn't a potential, but more likely in how much.

http://www.vv4w.org/viewphoto.asp?run_id=562&currPhoto=Run%20from%20the%20left-overs%2006%20053.jpg&month=&year=&fromaction=PHOTOS&currPage=2

It's the same here in Arizona. Matter of fact, it's a bit of a bone of contention right now because those kinds of trails are fine for those equipped to handle them, but when others try them and can't make it, they tend to create unapproved bypasses around the obstacles. The governing agencies have a real problem with that. It's a topic that's been discussed at nearly every forest service meeting we've attended and most of the time, the topic is brought up by the greenies in attendance.
This is pretty basic stuff, but for those who haven't seen it, Tread Lightly! (http://www.treadlightly.org/course/inc/frameset/lessonframe.htm)

Johnnie
09-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Could the famouse Silver City, Idaho have some unheard of, lost neighbors? When my wife and I were looking at the postings and all the people that plan to visit Silver City, might check out these towns, we found on our old maps dated 1895 in our archives, Just north of Silver City, there was a town named Sinker on Sinker Creek, which we wondered for a moment, how did this town get its name? And by the way we cound not find it listed anywhere else, and then there was a town by the name Oreana, S/E of Silver City.

The towns of Murphy, and Reynolds, were listed but many miles north but still old historical town apparently, And then on these old maps we (did not) find the ones listed on (our) ghost town web-site, So most likely sprouted up after the turn of the century, Some of these towns that showed up years later, were Ruby City, Fairview, Wagontown, and some others.

And then there was a community by the name of Dairy south west of Silver City, and that site was probably a diary town, and there was a town site N/W of the famouse the Silver boom town on this old map up by cow lake by the name Rockview.

Well you adventures that plan a trip to Silver City area might do some more research and might be lucky enough to find a unheard of old mining sites let the rest of us know if any you guys find any new ghost towns.

Happy ghost town hunting
Your fellow ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

Old info for new Explorers planing to check out the area in and around Silver City Idaho

Johnnie & Sheila

haunted_lady
12-04-2010, 03:26 PM
You might have luck on findagrave.com you can make a request for people to photograph cemeteries and graveyards in areas where you are looking. I do this here in my area as a matter of fact.
It has been awhile since you posted this I hope you have found something since. Good Luck!

Dave A
12-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Interesting to see the town of "Reynolds" mentioned in this 2009 thread, as I posted on this site a few months ago.

05GRIZZ
12-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Just wondering if anybody knows ? off of Jordan creek road by Wagontown i have been south of that on a old jeep trail and i ended up by Boulder or Flint creek and there was a little homestead there that had a gated iron fence around two head stones. I think it was a mother and and child. I took pictures of it and i need to find them and see if any of you might know the history. I need to get my GPS tracks and that would be helpful too. Thanks!

Newtire
10-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Second picture post, 5th and 6th pictures down would be my guess.I have a .44 and a shovel and I'm sure nbody is going to miss you. NO better place I can think of to die than out here.

Newtire
10-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Went around the back side of War Eagle mountain with my brother-in-law and he showed me a little cemetary name of Fairview. Forest Service has wooden sign there along side of road. Lots of unmarked graves and a few with headstones laid into concrete of people buried there. Mary Ann Thebo was one. Died at 32 years of age in 1878. Ida Jane and Carrie Bell. Ida was just over 3 years and Carrie was only 3 days. Both died in 1878. 1878 must have been a rough year somehow. And we think we have it bad. Another marked gravestone named Thomas Kittle from Caran County Ireland died at ripe old age of 34 years in 1877.

Whizbang
12-12-2012, 07:57 AM
1. i need to get a suzuki samuri or something...

secondly, i didnt make it up to Silver City this season, even though i lived in Mountain Home. I did however toil through placerville and pioneerville some for the Idaho Rally we do in that area. During the race, at the end of Grimes Pass, right at the summit, there are appearantly several graves just up and off the road. I found them accidentally, when i was looking for a place to pee (which isnt easy in a one piece firesuit). One is actually the grave, or at least memorial market for Grimes himself, stating killed by indians. Kinda cool, ill get pictures soon. Planning on doing a winter photo shoot of placerville, pioneerville (especially if i cant in touch with the land owners) and some other minor spots during the winter.

Whizbang
12-12-2012, 08:01 AM
i dont think i can post at all, what gives?

HollyDolly
03-12-2013, 05:50 AM
Well,,I'm not surprised there were other communities around Silver City. I like to check out www.texasescapes.com (http://www.texasescapes.com) They often show some old Texas postal maps of the 1900s or even some later maps of the 1920s to 40s when talking about some town.Some of the communities shown on these old maps no longer exist.I've even tried looking them up in the Texas Handbook Online without any luck.Some like Sinker you mentioned didn't amount to much;others did.
Little cemeteries turn up all over the place. In Universal City by RandolphAFB next to the VFW is a small family plot. There is another one by the old KFC which is now a little mexican restaurant. Accidently found one by the old Starlight Drive In in Schertz by Cibolo Creek.Had no idea the cemetery was even there.
So they are all over the place.
Out near Jones Maltzberger and Claussen Road area of San Antonio I recall my dad mentioning there were some old buildings to what was a town;but these have long disappeared.I guess they were still there in the 1950s when I was a kid;but got torn down sometime when he got transferred to Alaska for the AirForce.There was a little town named Lookout at Loookout Road near Nacogdoches Road. All that survives is the name.It took it's name from Comanche Lookout Hill.The hill and the surrounding land is now a City of San Antonio park.