PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Cemetary

Ghostdancer
12-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Does anyone know what condition the cemetary of Charleston, Arizona is in?

When I saw it back in 1990 there had appeared to be some vandalism and missing headstones that appeared to have been broken off and taken away.

Tom

Matt Greenway
12-28-2004, 09:32 PM
I have spent a considerable amout of time in the old ruins of Charleston and Millvile in the last three months. I am looking for the remains of a cemetary located in the area of Charleston AZ, with grave markers indicating the "Howell", family. One report I have read states the cemetary is located 1-1/2 miles north of Charleston Town. If my bearings are correct that would take me behind the hills located adjacent to Charleston. Need assistance in location. I plan to vist Charleston this weekend to find the remains of the cemetary. Thank you.

old judge
12-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Matthew: Check Charleston at www.topozone.com (http://www.topozone.com/) A cemetary is shown about 1 mile west on a true bearing about 275 degrees, some 1/2 mile North of Graveyard Gulch. Maybe someone can verify whether or not that's the cemetary you seek. Old Judge

Ghostdancer
12-29-2004, 01:43 PM
It was back on NYE 1990 that I was at the cemetary with two friends so I don't recall the directions, but it was hard to find and we did so only after one of my two friends happened to catch a glimpse of it.

Tom

Matt Greenway
01-03-2005, 06:37 AM
Matthew: Check Charleston at www.topozone.com (http://www.topozone.com/) A cemetary is shown about 1 mile west on a true bearing about 275 degrees, some 1/2 mile North of Graveyard Gulch. Maybe someone can verify whether or not that's the cemetary you seek. Old Judge
Old Judge,

Appreciate the information greatly. Spent four hours this past weekend with four other friends looking for the remains of the cemetery. I did think about the name Graveyard Gulch and if it was associated with the grave yard. Unfortunately I had no directions other than blind instinct that took me to the site of Charleston. We covered about 3 square miles directly north of the adobe ruins, on the eastern side of Charleston without success. The overgrowth is unbelievable with every known thorn bush in Arizona. I have current pictures of Charleston and Millville I would like to share with everyone as soon as I figure out how to transfer them. I definitely must invest in a GPS system to plot sites of interest and share the information with everyone. Thanks again for your information. Matt

old judge
01-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Total Wreck has it right, just as depicted on topozone. OJ

Aud8us
11-01-2009, 09:59 AM
This is an old thread, but I just came across it. Anyway, I hiked into this graveyard back in 2002 or so. From Charleston, a friend and I had to hike over the hill/mountain which lies to the west of the town. This took several hours to reach. It was very hard to find and if we didn't use a GPS we never would have found it, you can't even see it until you are almost upon it. There are no headstones left, just a few iron crib like enclosures surrounding the graves, which look like they have been dug up at some time in the past as the ground is hollowed out. You can see that there were headstones, but they were broken off. We found about 4 or 5 graves like this. Not much to see....what a shame.

Ken Hayden
04-05-2010, 01:19 AM
I was probably the last person to see the stone markers in place before they were stolen. Early 1970's. Took some friends back to show them and someone had taken the markers. I was really ticked. Information about who was buried there is in Grace McCool's book entitled "Sunday Trails in Old Cochise". Directions to the site are there also.

rhondar
05-12-2012, 09:31 PM
We visited Charleston Cemetery today and what an amazing place if you love old towns and cemeteries. It's not an easy hike nor is it easy to find. If you know Charleston and are familiar with the washes that run by it, you can find it. I've posted some photos we took out there today. 74877488748974907491