PDA

View Full Version : Great Site!

GaryB
12-14-2004, 08:06 PM
I recently found this site while surfing through http://http://desertislands.org/nevadamap.htm
looking for a cave. Must say this is one of the best ghost towns sites I've come across! Great job on all who keep it alive.

Little background info: My Father's family was one of many that settled Bullionville, NV, then later Panaca, NV. My Mother's parents were imigrants from Hungary that traveled the mines in Idaho before settling in (now) Caliente, NV. Needless to say my family was around before the state was :D

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do. Hope I can chime in with some useful info now and then.

old judge
12-16-2004, 03:37 PM
If you're some sort of spelunker, as opposed to a guy who's a little claustrophobic, as am I, you and "Caver" ought to yee-haa. Surely you've found him on this site by now. OJ PS. Stayed in Caliente a while in September. I really enjoyed the location, the folks, etc.

GaryB
12-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Where'd you stay at? By chance was it the Shady?

Just sorta getting into caving. I hike, camp, hunt, cave, race stock cars and, unfortunatly have to work. Too many hobbies and not enough time. Or money....

old judge
12-16-2004, 08:11 PM
Gary: We stayed at the Caliente Hot Springs Inn or Motel. Had some nice new owners from Vegas. Spent part of our stay in the dark, as storms in the area knocked out the electricity. A very interesting area. One I recommend to folks going that way who don't mind new places a little out of the way. OJ

GaryB
12-17-2004, 03:56 PM
Yeah I know the place. Been there a long time. My Aunt works at the Shady and I know the owners too. I have people all the time go in to say hi to my Aunt to mess with her :D

I go there every Memorial Day and 4th of July. They have a "Homecoming" on Memorial Day that brings back all the kids and such. Their 4th of July fireworks show rivals many in Vegas. Of course they have the advantage of the high canyons around them.