PDA

View Full Version : question regarding site

Judith Kulig
01-31-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi there, I accidently got on your site and was surprised to see that Blairmore is considered a semi ghost town. I am from Coleman, the town next to Blairmore both of which comprise the Crowsnest Pass. The total of 7700 people who live there would be surprised to find out that Blairmore is a semi ghost town, it is considered the hub of the Pass and has the most services.

Also, in regards to Bankhead, it also had a dairy, my great grandparents operated it...
Judith

old judge
01-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Judith: Don't be discouraged. The definitions of Ghost Town are fairly broad. I've visited many towns, especially in the Southwest, which I believe deserve to be on this site. Generally some decline from better days is part of the equation. But many towns have areas, some still gettin' on, some pretty much abandoned, some recently forgotten, and some long since abandoned and forgotten, which are of interest, and perhaps downright fascination, to some. I expect there are many interesting things to see and imagine there. The designation "Ghosttown" is not a death knell. For some older communities it's a bit of a rebirth. OJ

Ghosttowns.com
02-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Some people think of a ghost town as being a "movie set" panorama with a full complement of vacant buildings complete with doors swinging in the wind and the howling of the breeze through holes in walls. Others think of a ghost town as being a town that is a shadow of its former past, but still alive with museums and shops and things to do pertaining to the old west in a true old west location. Still others think of a ghost town as being nothing but a few ruins and foundations in a far remote area accessible only by Four-Wheel drive on a good day. So, who is right? Everyone is right. A ghost town is any place where people once lived, or are still living, that is a shadow of its past glory. This includes everything from absolutely remote locations with very little remaining (sometimes called the "True Ghost"), to flourishing tourist towns such as Jerome, Az or even Calico, Ca. Ghosttowns.com contains all of the above types of ghost towns. So, whether you are looking for a "True Ghost" or a place to take your family for a visit to the old west, you can find it here at Ghosttowns.com.

Bob
02-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Yes, Judith It use to bother me also but I've come to realize that the definition of a ghost town is very broad. My gripes included Goldfield and Virginia City, Nevada, both listed as ghosttowns and both still the active functioning daily county seat of their respective counties. So while it may not be a true unoccupied ghost, it can be living functioning but "... shadowy semblance of a former self..."

roadcam
02-04-2005, 09:28 AM
well, no offense intended, ... but when the County Seat of Butte County, California ( Oroville,CA ), is listed as a "ghost town" ... ??? ... this site is a waste of time for me, every town listed in Butte County as a "ghost town" is thriving , ... and has always been well-populated for many years ... while EVERY town has its own history, and changes as time goes by, that alone does not define "ghost town" in any sense of the phrase ... goodbye, and good luck ... I am poking through the wilderness with a dirtbike and a camera to find the REAL ghost towns ... God Bless America
- E Clampus Vitus 7-11

old judge
02-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Wellll, Pilgrim, no offense taken...OJ

GaryB
02-06-2005, 12:17 AM
this site is a waste of time for me, every town listed in Butte County as a "ghost town" is thriving , ... and has always been well-populated for many years ...

Not sure what it says on your browser header, but mine says "Ghost Towns and History of the American West". If it wasn't for this site and others like it, folks probably wouldn't know there was a place called Orville, Ca and that it has a history. Funny what people get bent out of shape over these days.

Rockcrusher
02-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Personally, I try to avoid the term "ghost town" mainly 'cause it tends to bring the "I've seen Ghostbusters 43 times" kooks out of the woodwork. I prefer the term "historical site". Granted, "historical site" doesn't conjure up visions of visions of ugly little transparent guys making weird noises in the middle of the night, but it does make a little more sense.

I've even heard of my old hometown of Georgetown, CA referred to as a ghost town. We may have had a lot of skeletons in our closets but, so far as I know, not one ghost ever lived there.

Take heart, Roadcam, for not everyone is as logical or rational as those of us in the Exalted Brotherhood of the Redshirts and we must allow for their lack of satisfactoryness.

Just Another Bob from ECV 86 (A Charter member I might add)

Ghosttowns.com
02-06-2005, 08:42 PM
brings in tourist revenue $$$>... makes you wonder why people get so upset...

roadcam
02-09-2005, 08:54 AM
sorry if I came off as disgruntled ... I stand corrected,.. I did NOT notice that the title page included "History of the American West" also ... I was only interested in abandoned towns, and historical sites, and thought of people traveling across the country in search of a ghost town, only to find a modern city ... I traverse the desert and mountains on a motorcycle looking for abandoned buildings, mines, bridges, etc... .... carry on....