PDA

View Full Version : Ref; Maps

Chester Davis
02-10-2005, 05:58 AM
Does anybody know where I can get a copy of an "OLD Map of Nevada and Airzona" that shows the old roads to some mining camps.?? that do not cost a arm and a leg. Chester.

Bob
02-10-2005, 08:08 AM
Don't spend much time in Arizona since your freaking Highway Patrol wrote me a $25 ticket for illegal coasting at 5 MPH from one turnout to the next going down Oak Creek Canyon. Maps with roads really seldom appear till the advent of automobiles. I have Nevada State Maps back to the early 1930s and a variety of 20s maps. A few earlier maps show major routes but very few. The post office used to show their postal routes and information but those are like hens teeth. Early USGS maps are usefull but the scale is often 1:250,000. Before they built Hoover Dam they did a lot of mapping along the Colorado down to past Parker. It was on one of those maps I found the terminus to the Barnweel and Searchlight Railroad. I have numerous maps and access to otheres but don't want to get into the map supply buisness. If you knew a time frame and location I of a specific area or site I could scan 8/5 by 11 and convert to PDF a few but I ain't gonna try to stitch scans together for larger areas. Feel free to drop me an Private Message and I share my email address and other particulars with ya.

Chester Davis
02-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Sorry to here about the ticket, got one there myself about 25 years ago, and I do not live there and do not want to. Got that out of the way HA
What I am looking for is some maps dealing with Nevada, and AZ as for the scale as long as I can read the town names and see some of the old dirt roads in it, or some of the old roads. I also want to try and find One of the places, a mine called RED ROVER which I just saw in a film clip on this web site. I have heard the name when I was a young man from my mothers Bro Frank, who was probably one of the last prospectors of a lost generation Said he worked a mine close to it Here is my E-Mail grandpa121@hotmail.com Dave.

old judge
02-10-2005, 11:29 AM
With a little searching there are maps all over the internet. Just yesterday found some good Atlas maps and railroad maps of Nevada and Arizona from the late l800's to the early l900's. Their usefulness index ranges from fair to very good. Just takes some imagination. Google is the place to start. OJ

GaryB
02-10-2005, 09:45 PM
That's funny, saw your name and went "Hey, when did my Uncle get a computer?"

I have some old mine/town maps I found locally. They show the old maps with new road over lays. Their website is www.maps-nwd.com (http://www.maps-nwd.com) according to the map. Only problem is they were created at a time when southern Nevada wasn't really booming, so most the info is about up north. Haven't found one for Arizona yet, but sure they exist. I find that the Nevada DOT book is the best for old sites and roads. Been looking to get an Arizona DOT book but been forgeting.

The ones OldJudge talks about are probably the ones UNLV has logged on thier website. They are pretty interesting, but you can't blow them up really big online. Guess I have to get off my duff and buy a mapping program :)

GaryB
02-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Where abouts is Red Rover suppose to be? I forgot, I have a couple of decent Arizona maps I can look at.

old judge
02-11-2005, 07:00 AM
Gary B: A May '99 post on this site contains the name of a lady who claims to be a member of the family which owns the Red Rover Mine property. Her post is a warning to stay away. Her phone number is listed in Phoenix. If the name and posting is legitimate, good luck.... OJ

GaryB
02-11-2005, 09:42 PM
I don't care really, just trying to help someone else find it.