PDA

View Full Version : Old Movie"Hombre"

Johnnie
02-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Not much to do on a rainy day here in California, So we started scanning the 300 channels for something interesting. We stop on the old western "Hombre", what great desert scenery but found that it was about 45min. into the movie but started watching it anyway, and noticed that the stage had stoped in a old mining camp complete with an ore car sitting on the tracks and broken windows in the old buildings to "real" looking to be a movie set, so we thought we get on ghosttowns and ask you guys if anyone knows where this part was filmed. Johnnie and I thought it might be Cerro Gordo, Calif. but we are not sure just couldn't help throwing this question into the ring. Couldn't get through to our buddies, that retired from the studios.

Just maybe Paul Newman, that is "in" this 1967 Classic Western is on ghosttowns bullentin board and he remembers what old mining town this was back in 1967, and care to drop in, and let the rest of know. Chuckle! Chuckle!

Talked to my buddy by land line, who retired Sony Pictures and moved to Oregon, several years ago but it was before the movie came on, We are trying to urge Erich and his wife to get on Ghosttowns, and sign on to the bulletin board and start shareing some of his experiences visiting the old mining towns in the 1950s and 1960s with Phil, another mutual old west researcher and shares his knowledge on the "History Channel" sevral times a month and writes articals for old west magazines.

Your fellow ghosttowners
Sheila & Johnnie

old judge
02-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Johnnie: What a great movie. I'm sure someone's gonna recognize that site, though the movie was shot in l966 and l967. Part of it was filmed at Bell Location Ranch in Southern California, near Simi Valley. Part was filmed at the Old Tucson Movie Set in Arizona. My guess would be that that mine scene is, in fact, authentic, and likely in Southern Arizona; but that's conjecture. Old Judge

Johnnie
02-21-2005, 03:39 AM
Johnnie: What a great movie. I'm sure someone's gonna recognize that site, though the movie was shot in l966 and l967. Part of it was filmed at Bell Location Ranch in Southern California, near Simi Valley. Part was filmed at the Old Tucson Movie Set in Arizona. My guess would be that that mine scene is, in fact, authentic, and likely in Southern Arizona; but that's conjecture. Old JudgeThanks O.J. from all of us with all the help, You do come up with some great links. That guide all of us in the right direction. We did get intouch with one of our friends, and they did agree on your answers, but the mining town scene is still out there for debate.

Sheila & Johnnie

Johnnie
02-24-2005, 02:51 AM
T.W. most of us "old" ghosttowners remember those good old days when you could visit these old mining camps and see more than just foundations and tin cans. these "Gems" of the old west are dissapearing to fast to suit us, And not from so much the weather but vandals who have no respect for the past. When i visited Old Dale just east of Twentynine Palms, In 1958 was still intact but when we returned in the 1979 there was nothing left. I did take 8mm of what was there then and you would not believe how much disapeared in 21 years.

And as far as the movie "Hombre", your opinion on the location of the mine town shots, are most likely correct, it was most likly vandelized since the movie was made in 1966 and 1967. But those years were so much different then now as us old timers know we did not even give it a second thought to vandelize our history as some do today. Oh yes we did sneek into the Drive Inn, by hideing in the trunk to see "Hombre" with my friend Steve who later retired from law inforcement after 35 years. so we weren't perfect, but vandelizing was not part of our past. but does seem to be part of the new generation of "Goofballs" that just don't have any respect for past history, We do apologize for getting carried away on reminiseenceing the good old days, some of you other "oldtimers" and fellow ghowners I'am sure agree.

And you oldtimers that remember some other old "Gems" that are also dissapering from the American sceen are the "Drive Inns" but you can do some reminiseenceing by going to Drive on Inn.com and find some great inforation on these great old drive inns, and is based in our fellow ghostowners A. B. town of L.V. Nevada.

Your fellow ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

Goat
02-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Boy, Johnnie, your post sure triggered some old movie memories! In the early 70's my aunt lived near a drive-in, and I spent an early evening watching (squinting at!) a movie that looked like it was set in the desert, and had what looked like a mountain lion as the star. After a few days of pleading with my folks, we finally piled into the car and went to see this fine film. I was expecting to see some neat ghost town footage in it (ghost towning was a passion of my folks before I was born, and has been a big part of my life from my earliest memories). As we watched the movie, I think I was the first one to feel gypped. The movie seemed to be spliced together from several different movies, with tedious shots of common insects, and the same 10 second shot of a mountain lion getting up off of a rock, several times! I ended up falling asleep before the movie was over, and waking up mad as a hornet at home. My Dad thought it was a pretty funny faux pas, but when you're 5 or so, you have HUGE expectations from a movie called: "Cougar Country"!

Thanks Again,
Goat

GreenValleyJeeper
11-24-2010, 08:00 PM
The old mining camp is located near "Gunsight Pass", in the Santa Rita mountains near Green Valley AZ. Take exit 75 off I19 running south from Tucson to Mexico. Go East on E Sahuarita Rd approx 2+ miles through the light and over the railroad tracks, then turn right on S Santa Rita road. S Santa Rita rd changes from blacktop to dirt about halfway, take it approx 14 miles to a "Y" and go right (left will take you to the Imery Mine). Four wheel drive from here - don't even think about taking your car. Follow the road all the way to the top and you'll be at Gunsight Pass where the stagecoach robbery took place. On the way to the top, look for a spot where the road bends right, and directly in front of you is a large half-circle mining area stretching up the mountain. You'll see a steep road that takes you up to the first level of the mine. Turn right when you crest the hill and continue a few hundred feet to a place where the road turns hard left and stop. You're now standing where the mining camp scene was filmed and Paul Newman was shot and killed. Look up and you can see where the shack they holed up in was at the top of the hill and you can still make out where the ore tracks were. Nothing left but a few scrapes of wood and some steel cables, but this is the place. Email me if you want to go and I'll take you there.