PDA

View Full Version : Saragosa, Oregon

SkiBachelor
02-21-2005, 11:11 PM
I was just curious if anyone knows what's currently happening with Saragosa in Oregon after it closed in the late 1990s?

For those who don't know, Saragosa was a western town that was built from scratch in Lane County and was very popular place with those who love the west. It had a hotel, saloon, store, jail, 2 mines, a church and many other things that you would find in a typical western town. However, I'm not sure when it opened, but as the town became more popular, it kept on expanding with new things and experiences. There were even coaches that would take you around the town and to the camping grounds if you chose to spend the night there. Eventually Hollywood found out about Saragosa and started to film western films there. But once the government found out that many of the buildings on Saragosa didn't have building permits, it shut the place down and it hasn't reopened since. It's kind of sad to see such a unique place close down after all the money that has gone towards it to build such a remarkable place was a waste. I guess you could classify Saragosa as a ghost town now since the town is still standing but people arn't allowed to visit it anymore.

The picture below is a picture of Saragosa in 1994.

thugpolice
05-30-2005, 04:59 PM
I too would like to know what happen. I drove by this place on accident and had to look it up on the internet. Suprised to find that this used to be a western theme park :D . So if they were shut down because of no permits, why not get the permits after the fact? I would love to visit this place when it opens (if it ever does).

Josh
Eugene, OR

Flatiron
05-31-2005, 04:56 AM
It's possible that the buildings weren't built to today's UBC codes, and therefore would be too expensive to retrofit the buildings to current standards. It's typical of local, state, and federal governments to stick their noses into these kinds of situations and screw things up. Buildings in Bodie, Ca. were built in the late 1800's and a lot of them are still standing, even though they weren't blessed by the Mono County Building Dept. Geez!

Makinzie
06-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Me too! I just want to know everything about it!:)

2thmkr
10-24-2005, 12:04 PM
A relative of mine bought that place. He just uses it as a private retreat. Its a pretty cool place.

danny_stoddard
10-25-2005, 10:49 AM
that sounds awesome about him buying it and using it as a retreat! does he/she need a caretaker? :) how fun! I need to write that down on my list of things to do..... buy a ghost town. :)

nicoledog01
11-17-2005, 10:06 AM
My fiances step father lives out there. The place used to be a total blast to go party at. I would love it if they would allow visitors again.

pqrSTUVWxyz
02-08-2006, 02:51 PM
If anyone can contact me about who currently owns Saragosa I would be forever in their debt. I found it quite easily but there are tons of no trespassing signs on the property and I didnt want to poke around for the owner.

Again if anyone could help please email me at Bobbywobbe@juno.com

babelskeeper
07-10-2006, 11:30 PM
where exactly is Saragosa? I went there a long time ago and I do not remember where it is.

stark_world
07-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Hi all, stumbled on this for sale http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/ProfileSE.aspx?LID=14594489&linkcode=1070&sourcecode=1lww2t006a00001

vtj2325
08-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Wow I am glad I found this site.
We spent many, many nights camped at Saragosa with our horses in the camp ground.
The John Hanby family had created a wonderful place. It will be forever a black stain on Lane County for closing them down in my familys position.
I have many pictures of Saragosa, ..the gun fights, Stage line running in the campground, The campground was so full on the holidays!!... so much fun! :) My kids are nearly grown but still talk about the Saragosa days. I wish the Hanbys had built a new one in a more friendly state. so sad!

LauraA
08-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Hey everyone, lets' get together and purchase our own western town. Wonder how much it is? I didn't have the nerve to email the realtor.

(of course, since it was my idea, I'd want to rename the town Lauraville, it has a nice ring to it. :D )

foodcoman
08-23-2006, 12:39 PM
My Uncle owns it. Mr. Hamby is a friend of the family and would not turn all that work over to just anyone. Because of no power, water, cell coverage or any utilities plus other factors from the County, it is a very difficult situation to have it open to the public as Mr. Hamby found out.

It is up for sale, for which I have no idea how much. Maybe the next owners will be able to break through the legal issues and want to bring the public back as Rod had originally intended.

P.S. It has had considerable expense put into it repair and upgrades. Generator, water supply(Well), foundation, dry rot, roof. Its been well maintained and upgraded considering that it has no revenue stream.

ds1174
07-24-2007, 01:18 PM
I am really interested in finding out more about Saragosa OR. My new son in law gave me a really neat picture of him rescuing a stage coach in one of their plays or whatever used to go on there. I am interested in the history of the town to put with the picture. He and my daughter were married horse back and the horse in the picture is the one he rode in the wedding. He presented me with the picture at the wedding. Would love to add some more information to the picture for display. Was really glad to find the website and to know the town is being cared for.

bad bob
07-24-2007, 01:49 PM
According to this 7-2-07 flash, Buddhists plan on turning Saragosa into one of their retreats. I truly hope this does NOT transpire. (not that I have anything against Bhuddists).

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2007/07/02/a1.tibet.0702.p1.php?section=cityregion

flea04
05-20-2008, 11:50 AM
I have many, many great memories at Saragosa. I have camped there with and without horses. I have camped there with my parents and children. I was friends with one of the people who did the stagecoach stunts in the movie. I live only an hour away from Saragosa, so it was easy to visit on a regular basis. I have several pictures of the area. My friend and I were once trying to plan an amateur rodeo there to help raise money for the town. They had to shut down before we could proceed. I wish I could have been able to take my grandkids there to camp and enjoy the "old west". :(

Radar
07-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Saragosa is on the road that runs from the Hwy. 126 turnoff to Clay Creek and Whiticker (sp?) Creek campgrounds, and the intersection with Smith River Road west of the Veneta/Crow area. Head toward Florence on 126 from Veneta and watch for the Clay Cr. turnoff. Once you're on that road, Saragosa will be several miles up on the left. If you come to the big wooden map in the road near the old Lane Co. Forest Work Camp, you've gone too far. The place was just a house originally owned I think by a guy my wife went to school with in Crow named Marty Ramp. Actually, I get the names of my wifes friends and acquaintences mixed up in my memory. In reading the other entries, it apparently was the Hanby's who owned it. I think Mr. Ramp was the Scoutmaster or local garage mechanic in Crow. Anyway, my wife recognized with owner's wife, who was by the road getting the mail, while we were on a motorcycle ride many years ago. There were no connections to any utilities so they ran a generator 2 hours a day to run appliances and watch some satellite TV. That grew to a full fledged town that had a clothing store, hotel (with restaurant touting the 'best in the west' hamburgers), petting zoo, dance floor, gun fights in the streets (staged, naturally), campground and was just a delightful place. Cowboy poets used to come and recite their stuff in the fall (I think Baxter Black performed there once) and at Halloween, it became a theme park called "Scaragosa". When the county got wind of all the building without permits, they required removal of all the wall coverings so they could inspect the wiring and plumbing and a number of other improvements. It all dried up at that point. Our tax dollars at work. I would volunteer to help rebuild the place if someone ever buys it with the intent of re-opening.

qqkq
05-31-2010, 07:09 PM
At this writing, Saragosa is being auctioned, all structures and other items remaining on the property will be sold and removed.

A sad end to such a cool place. After the county beat up Rod Hamby, he sold the property to another individual who used it privately. That buyer has since passed away, ergo the auctioning of the property. According to the popular story,the grounds were being "used improperly", not as indicated, by the LCDC, the state land dictating bureau, known as the Land Confiscation and Devaluing Commission.

I found in my archives a video production I made in '96 at Saragosa, a benefit trail ride to raise money to help two members of a family who were very seriously injured in a car accident.

This video is of the "Old Deadeye, Gun Fighter", the" Deputys Gunfight School", and general video of the park. This was shot on Sony 8MM, and is the first generation edited program. Contact qqkq@hotmail.com if you would like a copy put to CD, or believe it or not, VHS! I still have a few in the can.

Tsarevna
06-03-2010, 03:21 AM
That's just sad! :(

qqkq can you upload your videos to youtube?

danny_stoddard
06-03-2010, 08:25 PM
who wants to go get some stuff at the auction? wow, this is such a cool idea - too bad it got shut down......... :( a big loss.

Rena Dunne
02-23-2011, 11:03 PM
When i was little i used to spend alot of time at Saragosa!! Randy was a relitive. my mother was the one who painted the music stage in the saloon. Used to ride the wagon all the time!! The permits wernt issued and from what i under stand he didnt want to deal with it. Yes someone had bought it out and doesnt let anyone there. Which sucks for those who wanna see where they spent alot of time as a child like me!! i remember my first wreck on a 4 wheeler there lol!! riding horses, camping, the shoot outs!! my dad was one who did that! Did you know they made a movie there at saragosa? its pretty kewl!! hard to find though. And i bet if any of you guys who went there in the 90's Probably knows who i am as well i might know you! providing my young memory will grant me names and faces!! Though this thread was started a few years ago i just wanted to add my "cents" to it. i really really loved that place!! alot of GOOD memories from there!! maybe ill drive by this summer on my way to my uncles house! But if anyone does happen to read this and would like information on the place please do so. those who went there like i said in the 90's do so also!! would like more memories to add to this!! dunneredneck@yahoo.com

ibmicheal
06-08-2011, 07:01 PM
I have been to Saragosa in 1997 and have photos. It was a sad day indeed when this place was torn down. We were there for a civil war demo for the public6965.6964.6963.6962.6961

ibmicheal
06-09-2011, 03:11 PM
2 more photos I forgo6969t6968

KWisotsky
06-23-2011, 08:19 AM
I went to the Saragosa Estate sale last summer & picked up a few items. We were able to walk around the barns and animal areas, but not the main buildings. This is owned now by the Dzogchen Lineage - which is a Buddhist community, I believe. For those of you, like myself, who grew up loving Saragosa - The buildings are still all there. You can look up Dzogchen Khenpo Choga Rinpoche (http://www.facebook.com/DzogchenKhenpoChogaRinpoche) on facebook, and see current photos of their retreats there.

Ghost.WA
06-23-2011, 09:59 PM
That is really interesting. Too bad people can't see the significance of these kinds of places.