PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Pokerville, WI

Yumi
03-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Does anyone know the directions to / location of Pokerville (aka Moundville) Wisconsin? All I've found is that it is a couple miles east of the city of Blue Mounds, and that there was a campground there about 50 years ago (I don't think it's being used as a campground anymore because I can't find any info on the campground either). Has anyone been there? Can anyone confirm if there are still structures there? Is it a campground? Is it private property or state land or just abandoned? Any info at all?

old judge
03-12-2005, 08:48 AM
Yumi: If you take a look at the Diary of Lovira Hart, a chronicle of the Hart family's trip across Wisconsin (from East to West), in l871, they clearly travel through Madison, then Blue Mounds, and, later, Moundville or Pokerville. That would jibe with this sites info that Pokerville was west of Blue Mounds, not east. Some accounts even refer to them as the same community. Good Luck. OJ

Yumi
03-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks, I did see that diary online. Though chronologically they went to Blue Mounds, then to Cross Plains (northeast), then to Black Earth (west) and then to Pokerville (south?). I also noticed that the Hart diary is from 1871, and this website states that the remaining Pokerville residents left around 1852 after an indian attack. Maybe some people stayed behind? But anyway, it seems that the Hart family went a bit out of their way, to go to Cross Plains and Black Earth, so perhaps Pokerville is indeed east of Blue Mounds? If it is west of Blue Mounds, that would put it in the middle of the Blue Mounds State Park. Although that might make sense, to make a park around it... I will try contacting the park to see what they can tell me. Thanks for your help!

old judge
03-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Yumi: You're right as rain. Those folks went NW to Cross Plains and then to Black Earth. See reference to the RR. Their earlier reference to Blue Mounds was just to seeing them to the west as they left Madison. From Black Earth they turned almost South and wound up on the easternmost of the Blue Mounds. By l871, maybe that was the local name, or the name the Harts knew, for Blue Mounds today. They then passed the largest "peak" the next morning on their way out of town. To have descended a steep hill to Pokerville, they almost had to come from the North to what is now Blue Mounds. Let me know if you glean more. OJ

RBOLLI4889@aol.com
03-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Does anyone know the directions to / location of Pokerville (aka Moundville) Wisconsin? All I've found is that it is a couple miles east of the city of Blue Mounds, and that there was a campground there about 50 years ago (I don't think it's being used as a campground anymore because I can't find any info on the campground either). Has anyone been there? Can anyone confirm if there are still structures there? Is it a campground? Is it private property or state land or just abandoned? Any info at all?I visited Pokerville last week, and from what I understand it is te old town presently known as Blue Mounds, WI. I talked with an old timer that said Blue Mounds was once the old town of Pokerville some years ago. I want to find out more info myself to see if their are any old abandoned structures there. I also understand that their was an old abandoned lead mind somewhere near Pokerville.

martyg
11-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Thanks, I did see that diary online. Though chronologically they went to Blue Mounds, then to Cross Plains (northeast), then to Black Earth (west) and then to Pokerville (south?). I also noticed that the Hart diary is from 1871, and this website states that the remaining Pokerville residents left around 1852 after an indian attack. Maybe some people stayed behind? That's because the website info is wrong. 1st, the attack occured in 1832, not the 1852. Secondly, the residents did not leave after the indian attack (which consisted of just a few people killed). Here's (http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/WLHBA/articleView.asp?pg=1&id=12622&hdl=&np=&adv=yes&ln=&fn=&q=&y1=&y2=&ci=Blue+Mounds&co=&mhd=&shd=) the complete info from a 1925 article in the Wisconsin State Journal.

Marty

martyg
11-25-2005, 10:23 PM
I visited Pokerville last week, and from what I understand it is te old town presently known as Blue Mounds, WI. I talked with an old timer that said Blue Mounds was once the old town of Pokerville some years ago. I want to find out more info myself to see if their are any old abandoned structures there. I also understand that their was an old abandoned lead mind somewhere near Pokerville.
That would be incorrect, the present area of Blue Mounds is the second location. Pokerville (originally refered to as West Blue Mounds) was a good 1 mile west of the current Blue Mounds. As per the 1925 article I posted above:

"In 1881 the Northwestern Railroad was built one mile east of 'Pokerville'. A depot was built there and the new area was named Blue Mounds which is the present town of that name."

Marty

wisc_anon
08-16-2006, 10:36 AM
That article just doesn't add up. Yes, it says that the village of Blue Mounds is east of Pokerville, but it also references the Brigham property (now a Dane County park) as a location for Pokerville, and the Brigham property is also east of Blue Mounds -- actually NE.

dufflite
11-02-2006, 07:58 PM
this article from 1925 will fill you in... driving by now you see 2 nice farms.. by the way Pokerville was the first community in Dane county Wisconsin..

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=1&id=12622

dufflite
11-02-2006, 08:02 PM
If it is west of Blue Mounds, that would put it in the middle of the Blue Mounds State Park...

nope... the middle of blue mounds state park was a horse racing track.. it was created when the rr entered the area later in the 1800's

dufflite
11-02-2006, 08:05 PM
visited Pokerville last week, and from what I understand it is te old town presently known as Blue Mounds, WI. I talked with an old timer that said Blue Mounds was once the old town of Pokerville some years ago.

sort of.... pokerville moved east one mile when railroad located there but by then pokerville was run down and done.

dufflite
11-02-2006, 08:09 PM
wish I saw your post earlier.. Marty you have it right...

I also noticed that the Hart diary is from 1871, and this website states that the remaining Pokerville residents left around 1852 after an indian attack. Maybe some people stayed behind?

the whole going to cross plains then to black earth and back... does not make sense.. cross plains is ne of blue mounds and black earth is directly north of Mount Horeb.. the 1871 diary makes little sense.. directly north of blue mounds or pokerville is Mazomanie

jimsmith201
12-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Pokerville Ironworks just west of Blue Mounds. Will Smith has the history of the place you are asking about. You can also go th pokervilleironworks.com
On his site you can click on history button and it will give details of the bloody, brawdy, gunfightenst roudys of the past...

jimsmith201
12-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Go to pokerville ironworks.com, click on history button. This will give you directions to the shop. Will is on the site that used to be Pokerville.I'm sure he would help if you stopped at the shop.

jjrakman
05-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Anybody ever find the actual location of this? The ghosttowns.com site cites the standing of a few buildings.

But I've never been able to find the actual location of them.

Some references refer to Pokerville being 1 or two miles either east or west of Blue Mounds.

I've not been able to find any maps, and scanning the satelite images that google provides have been fruitless, or I just wasn't able to spot it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

old judge
05-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Hey Newbie....Refer to previous posts. If you've already done that, you've likely exhausted input from here. Any new information you produce will be appreciated. OJ

Shardel
05-15-2010, 02:49 PM
I am also looking for information on Pokerville, Wisc. According to his obit my great grandfather
was born there in 1855. It is probable that my g g grandfather died there because his wife,
and 2 children are listed in the 1860 census in Blue Mounds with no mention of him. Do you
know of any place that might have records of the inhabitants of the Pokerville? All I know at
this point is it was the first town in Dane County and it was mentioned that it had 500
residents.

zeffantm
01-21-2011, 01:22 PM
The center of Pokerville was located just north of the intersection of East Brigham Road and County Highway ID. This is roughly a mile west of the Village of Blue Mounds. Contrary to what some have said, Pokerville and Blue Mounds were never the same community. "Pokerville" was only a nickname, as the official name was West Blue Mounds. The indian attack mentioned some places occurred in 1832 during the Black Hawk War. Both West Blue Mounds and Blue Mounds were in contention to get a railroad depot, and when Blue Mounds was chosen that pretty much spelled the end of Pokerville.

If you would like more information about Pokerville or Blue Mounds, please contact the Blue Mounds Area Historical Society: http://www.bluemoundshistoricalsociety.com