PDA

View Full Version : Info I Hope

desertjac
03-12-2005, 03:46 PM
My Wife And I Are Returning To Oregon After A Winter In Arizona And Are Wanting To Visit Ghost Towns In Eastern Nevada. We Want To Visit Minerva, Taylor, Osceola, Ward, Cherry Creek, And Tuscacora. Any Info Including Roads, Weather Or Other Sights We Need To See Would Be Appreciated.
We Will Be There About April 4th.

Thanks,

Jac & Mary Thornburg

GaryB
03-12-2005, 10:38 PM
I was at Ward last summer. Someone has gone up there and dug a trench across the road so you have to hike about 1/4 mile to the operations site. Don't remember seeing anything about "No Tresspassing" though. Most everything is from around the 70's and early 80's. The original site is pretty much gone. The cemetary which you pass going up is quite interesting though.

If you have a 4X or high clearence vehicle, I'd look over Spruce Mountain south of Wells. Not sure of the snow pack in April, but it is a descent road most of the way up. It's one of the best sites I have been too as of yet. Lots of old log cabins and newer housing. Mines, chutes, etc. If you need directions to it, let me know. I also have family in Elko, so I can find out the weather up in that area when you're ready.

Are you coming up from Needles or Kingman way?

GaryB
03-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Forgot, Osceola is being remined by a small time out fit or a few folks. When I went through about 1 1/2 years ago, there was some activity, but no one chased me off as I took pics. But I didn't get too nosey either. I think I heard Taylor is about the same stage as well.

old judge
03-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Jac and Mary: Don't have a clue where you've been, or what your route is. My roamings of Nevada are limited, but would recommend Hamilton and Belmont Mill. The cemetery at Hamilton is its best feature (in my opinion). Close by is Belmont Mill, which I highly recommend. I've posted some pics of both on either this website or www.backtrails.net (http://www.backtrails.net/) . Caver has posted a beautiful set of pictures on this site of the upper reaches of Belmont Mill. Getting there is not difficult, the views are nice, and there is a great deal of wildlife. If you're looking for real 4WD. etc., may not be your bag. Ghost Town Huntress also has some pics posted, if I'm not mistaken. OJ

Mikejts
03-21-2005, 09:50 PM
I just returned from Las Vegas to CO. (first week in March. ) Roads were all clear of any snow etc. Did not hit that until I was in Utah east of Cedar City. I decided to take some back roads 93 north and was pleasently surprised with the following towns. All easy 2wd pavement. Pioche and Caselton Several others on 93 were not much. Pioche and Caselton were actually out of my way as I turned east towards Utah on 319. If you are going that way they are good.

iblyn_1
03-25-2005, 09:25 AM
I live in Pioche,NV. Old Silver Mining town. Many old mines around here and you just haveta know where to go off road.. have been to lots of them, during the summer months & late spring. Roads now, muddy and snow. Have seen some awesome sights and one place..well it's off the hiway 93 out of Cakiente, on your way to Alamo/Vegas. Found some awesome minerals..My grandfather used to go to Death Valley, He was a "Ole rock hound" and new the old Borox Mines well... and had been written up in many mine manuals, so I guess I have "rocks" in my blood... Looking forward for dryer weather, so I can go "hunting" for that treasure that's out there..LOL..But if your not a "rock hound" or intersts in ole mines..this ain't the place for ya..
Happy Treasure Hunting.....;)