PDA

View Full Version : Earp fan more adventurous than his hero

Ghostdancer
03-15-2005, 09:37 AM
I would like to check this out when it opens.

Earp fan more adventurous than his hero (http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.php?page=local&story_id=031405a3_earp)

I'm wondering if the gun in the photo is suppose to be the one Wyatt Earp used in the OK Corral gunfight. From what I understand he actually used a S&W revolver.

Tom

old judge
03-15-2005, 11:27 AM
According to several sources a S&W .44, Model 3, Schofield. OJ

Ghostdancer
03-15-2005, 11:55 AM
That's what comes to my mind; a Schofield, but don't know if it's that or another model. I often want to say Schofield when I think of S&W guns from that era.

And in the latest edition of Arizona Highways there is an interesting article on Wyatt Earp which begins on page 44. Unfortunately, there's no link to the story on the AH website. :(

Tom

Johnnie
03-16-2005, 06:24 AM
Thanks! Ghostdancer for the information and posting that artical, What a interesting collection, as far as the gun that Wyatt used at O K corral shootout, I myself are not sure you guys may be right, But to be sure i will get intouch with our felllow researcher Lee Silva, and find out what his opinion is. He has been researching Wyatt Earp for 30 years and we are sure has something to add to that burning question.

Johnnie & Sheila

Johnnie
03-16-2005, 04:17 PM
I talk with my fellow historian, and old west researcher Lee Silva. and found out that Mr.Silva, has contributed some input to the artical in the latest issue of Arizona Highways, and was planing to attend the opening of the the museum.

As far as the gun used in the O K corral shoot out, in Lee Silva's opinion. Wyatts was carring his Colt "10" inch. Buntline.

Lee devotes several pages in his latest book "Wyatt Earp A Biography of the Legend" to this very subject, on what gun Wyatt had in his possession, when the Earp brothers and Doc Holliday headed over to O K Corral.

If the gun that is displayed in the Tucson Citizen newspaper artical is serial # 87145 according to Lee it is not the gun that was used in the gunfight at O K Corrall because it did not leave the manufacture till January 30th 1883 and the O K corral shootout took place on October 26th 1881.

Fellow Ghosttowner
Johnnie & sheila

old judge
03-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Wellll, I'm stickin' with the Schofield, but understand there's considerable controversy. OJ

old judge
03-18-2005, 08:04 AM
It appears from my limited research, this on the net, that Russell carried that 10 inch Buntline in the movie "Tombstone". Numerous inaccuracies in the movie are also pointed out. OJ