PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Deadwood

Ghostdancer
03-21-2005, 04:30 PM
So has anyone been watching Deadwood on HBO or renting it?

I rented the first four episodes; I don't really think it's great, but will still rent and watch the others.

Tom

Mikejts
03-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Watch it faithfully. I also am lucky because I have comcast cable and "on demand" so I can view the shows, prior seasons and current, when every I want.

Eric Mayer
03-21-2005, 09:42 PM
We love Deadwood.

It's filmed right in Santa Clarita where the old Little House was filmed.

Eric :cool:

GeologyMonkey
03-22-2005, 05:34 PM
That show is outstanding. I got HBO just to watch season 2. I feel like this is the first time we get to see the rough, tumble, uncut and uncensored West the way it really was. Apparently a lot of research went into the way people talked and acted back then.

Season 2 episode 3 had an actual 5 stamp mill in operation. First time I have ever seen one.

Mikejts
03-22-2005, 06:05 PM
For those of you that are hooked on Deadwood you should read this article. http://www.twmag.com/westerns/western-deadwood_redux_03_05.htm

I am a subscriber to the True West Magazine. They have discussed it several times and they also have a forum reference Deadwood.

old judge
03-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Couple of interesting Deadwood articles in Smithsonian Magazine recently: "Digs - East Meets (Wild) West", and "Wizard of Odd". Worth googling.....O.J.

Calamity June
08-07-2008, 02:36 PM
We don't have HBO, but a few months ago we got the DVDs and watched all the episodes in like 3 or 4 days. Anway we are still talking like Al and Calamity Jane around the house.:o :p

But this is interesting...in regards to the swearing in the series.

As Milch has explained in several interviews and on the DVD commentary tracks, originally the characters were to use period slang and swear words. Such words, however, were based heavily on the era's deep religious roots and tended to be more blasphemous than scatological. Instead of being shockingly crude (in keeping with the tone of a frontier mining camp), the results sounded downright comical. As one commentator puts it " if you put words like "goldarn" into the mouths of the characters on "Deadwood," they'd all wind up sounding like Yosemite Sam.".

This is hysterical, well it will be to any Deadwood fans, the language is well, just like Deadwood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f31PLcCXD0U

Gravelrash
08-07-2008, 07:02 PM
I got all 3 seasons out from our local video store, about 6 months ago, and had my very own "Deadwood Days". The swearing startled She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed so much that I was sentenced to the grave-yard shift.
I loved every cork sucking, mither fergling minute of it!

Calamity June
08-07-2008, 07:43 PM
I got all 3 seasons out from our local video store, about 6 months ago, and had my very own "Deadwood Days". The swearing startled She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed so much that I was sentenced to the grave-yard shift.
I loved every cork sucking, mither fergling minute of it!Hey are you my husband on the other computer in the den???

I have to admit the first episode I was like WTF...:eek: and I don't care for the use of that nasty 'ole "C" word, the short one, but ****, after a few episodes the shock wore off..now I am calling people cork suckers and even the other one too.
Oh I see this site has the censor..well **** ....:p

Tsarevna
08-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I just love Deadwood. By the 5th episode you get hooked. I have to admit, the fistfight to the death in season 3 was just about too much, and made me cringe.

I really wish they ended the show better, it's just left unraveled. :(

Calamity June
08-08-2008, 03:18 AM
I just love Deadwood. By the 5th episode you get hooked. I have to admit, the fistfight to the death in season 3 was just about too much, and made me cringe.

I really wish they ended the show better, it's just left unraveled. :(Oh yeah that was bad, I quite agree.

I also think the series was a bit 'rough' for alot of people. I couldn't imagine my mom or my aunts watching it, not for love nor money.

brian10x
08-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Like a lot of you, I was shocked for the first few minutes, then I came to realize my research on the old west revealed exactly that type of behavior.

Then I finally realized, except for the firearms, it was just like my old elementary school.
Of course, as kids, our whiskey was heavily watered down.

Gravelrash
08-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey are you my husband on the other computer in the den???

Yes, darlin'. Can I come to bed now? Awful cold out here!

GaryB
08-09-2008, 08:27 PM
To be honest, I only watched about 10 minutes of it in the middle of a season. I probably would have watched more, but my wife was offended, and that's even with me dropping the F-Bomb. Once in a while.

Maybe, occasionally.

Okay, okay, too much.

Why not though, I'm already going to **** because I'm a infidel.

Anyway, if it ever came back on I'd TiVo it and try again. Maybe I'll rent it, but I'm holding out buying it. I'm sure I'd like it for at least it's historical content.

Calamity June
08-10-2008, 05:49 AM
To be honest, I only watched about 10 minutes of it in the middle of a season. I probably would have watched more, but my wife was offended, and that's even with me dropping the F-Bomb. Once in a while.

Maybe, occasionally.

Okay, okay, too much.

Why not though, I'm already going to **** because I'm a infidel.

Anyway, if it ever came back on I'd TiVo it and try again. Maybe I'll rent it, but I'm holding out buying it. I'm sure I'd like it for at least it's historical content.
I got it from the Library, you might want to see if you can get it there.
After a few episodes, the language almost becomes laughable, they are just "words" after all. But then again I have been known to talk like a long-shoreman myself, more than a few times. (no reflection on any longshore out here)

I knew that was you, Gravelrash.

GaryB
08-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Speaking of Deadwood: www.fortpierredeadwoodtrail.com (http://www.fortpierredeadwoodtrail.com)

Gravelrash
08-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Speaking of Deadwood: www.fortpierredeadwoodtrail.com (http://www.fortpierredeadwoodtrail.com)
Gary - you've done it again. This is a "must do" for me. I'm always on the lookout for wagons here in Oz., but we don't have that sort of history, so they are hard to come by. I can see my future behind a horses arse! Ruth, on the other hand, has no such illusions!
Why is life so difficult!? Choices, choices, choices!
Who wants to bet the horses butt wins?:D