PDA

View Full Version : Underground City Mine location

smilinglady13
03-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi,
Does anyone out there know the location for the Underground City mine outside of Midland, Ca. ? is the mine still able to be explored? Thanks for your help.

old judge
03-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Google Underground City Mine Midland. If that's what you're searching for, there is some contact info to be found. OJ

smilinglady13
03-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the info. We had already discovered the ones on google. I am wondering if someone can give a description of where the mine is located or if they know for sure that the mine has been sealed off.
Thanks.

Dezdan
03-23-2005, 09:47 PM
The mine is on privately held land owned by US Gypsum and because many people posted photos and directions to the mine on the internet, USG has completely sealed the mine with dozers and a tanker truck load of ammonium nitrate to prevent people from entering the mine as it became a liability issue for USG.

Flatiron
03-26-2005, 04:46 AM
DezDan is absolutely correct! I have a freind that works for U.S. Gypsum, and said they had a real problem with trespassers, even though the property was posted and gated. It was probably only a matter of time before somebody got hurt or killed at the site..............

xplor'npaul
05-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi there, is the mine near midland the same underground city mine mentioned in socalfunplaces? By the way, I'm new to the forum,....so hello all!

cheever
05-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Yes it is.

Hobo
06-09-2005, 08:40 PM
The mine is on privately held land owned by US Gypsum and because many people posted photos and directions to the mine on the internet, USG has completely sealed the mine with dozers and a tanker truck load of ammonium nitrate to prevent people from entering the mine as it became a liability issue for USG.
What does the ammonium nitrate do (beside make diesel truck drivers nervous)?

Dezdan
06-12-2005, 08:59 AM
What does the ammonium nitrate do (beside make diesel truck drivers nervous)?Exactly what you were thinking! Being an oxidizer, ammonium nitrate is mixed with a hydrocarbon like diesel fuel to form a powerful explosive. In retrospect, the tanker truck was probably carrying ANFO (Ammonium Nitrate/Fuel Oil) prills which are very common in the mining industry.

~Dezdan