PDA

View Full Version : Ghost towns of the San Juan

okie
04-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Just wondering if anyone was familiar with the trail to the 7 level boarding house above the Old hundred mine. My wife and I visted the area a couple of summers ago on our 10th anniversary and took the train ride from Durango to Silverton.
Wonderful area to see.
Also would like to go back and spend more time north of Silverton, maybe rent a jeep.

Mikejts
04-13-2005, 01:44 PM
If you go stay at the The Wyman Hotel & Inn (http://www.lanierbb.com/inns/bb6280.html)
Silverton, COI have stayed there and the food is GREAT.

Nizhoni57
04-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Once you get to the trail to the boarding house , it's vertical...somewhere here is a post on it. I'll see if I can find it for you.. The post said they couldn't make it all the way down. I live in the area and there is lots of ghost towning here...Have fun!!!

Nizhoni57
04-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Look under Old Hundred Mine in San Juan County , Colorado Ghost Towns...There is a trail report there...

okie
04-21-2005, 05:31 AM
I read the article earlier on the 7 level trail, but it wasn't clear (til now) what Todd was saying about sliding down to the site. Thanks Krissy. Now I know if I want to explore this site it might be handy to bring my rope. Have you visited the site or know how to get to the trail head (start)?

Thanks,

Mikejts
05-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Not the Sa Juans but I did add 7 Colorado Plains Ghost Towns to my Site. Got a friendly request to stop ignoring the plains.

Ghosttowns.com
05-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Its very very crazy- the first half of the trail is not too bad because even though the drop is 500 to 1000 feet its a slope so not too big a deal. Then all of sudden about half way through the hike it turns into shear cliffs dropping a few thousand feet and the trail is just wide enough for your feet - dont slip, youll fall all the way down. Then as you get to the boardinghouse you are well above it on this trail, and there are no trails to get down to it -so you pretty much rock slide down to it - When they renovated it, they did it by helicopter which should tell you something :)

There is a fantastic book out that covers just 7 level and its written by a guy named Scott who works/owns a book store in town (Silverton). Its a great book with lots of pictures - for up to the minute trail info you really would have to talk to Scott.

Flatiron
05-06-2005, 03:37 AM
The 7 Level Boarding House sounds like quite the place to visit. That's why I like watching the posts on this site. I would probably never have known about this place if I hadn't been participating in this website. We're going to Co. soon, and will do some research before we go. Thanks for the info...........

ghost_town_huntress
05-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Since I started ghost towning I've been wanting to visit the 7 level boarding house. Hopefully someday soon.....

Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Mikejts
06-13-2005, 08:14 PM
If you go to Silverton see if you can find the remains of Lake Emma, It drained into the Standard mine and flooded the thing. Took 2 years to clean up and never produced the same after. Guess that is what you get for digging too close under a lake. That happenned in the recent past late 70's, I think 1978.

40FORDJIM
09-14-2005, 09:43 AM
I have been to the Old Hundred Boarding House twice. First time was in 1976 and the last about 5 years ago. I was 64 yrs old the last time. It is an exciting and beautiful hike. If you wish more info send me an e-mail jpershing@zianet.com There are pictures on this site from our 1976 visit. I am leaving this Friday for another visit to Silverton........Jim

Dezdan
09-14-2005, 10:47 AM
After spying the 7 level boarding house on a recent trip to the San Juan's last month, I hope to make the hike to the boarding house sometime in the (far) future. I was wondering what the average trip time was from the start of the hike to the boarding house?

~Dan

40FORDJIM
09-14-2005, 01:14 PM
The last hike there from where we parked the SUV took about 3 hours to arrive above the boarding house and a little over an hour and a half to come back down. Add an hour to the total to go down and back up from the upper ledge to the boarding house itself. You'll need some time also to look around in the house and the adjacent Tram House.
There is room to park a couple vehicles at the trail head which is on the road to the Buffalo Boy Mine.

Dezdan
09-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll probably tack on another hour or two for us out-of-shape flatlanders from SoCal. I saw the trail and trail head last month while returning from the Buffalo Boy, although it didn't dawn on me that it was the trail to the 7 level until this morning when reading these post.

Thanks,
~Dan